Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why would Siri in Ireland on the ATV be restricted when it's available on the iPhone?

Apple spend time localising the speech recognition specifically for the Apple TV in each market Siri is released in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why would Siri in Ireland on the ATV be restricted when it's available on the iPhone?

Apparently because of differing pronunciations of film titles and actors names.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/04/siris-initial-eight-country-limitation/

Thanks SP, I couldn't remember where I'd read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I personally would of preferred them to release it anyway (maybe with a beta tag) rather than not at all. It is a huge part of the whole tvOS experience and not having it makes it feel very limited.

Same thing with the App Store, still feels very barebones and the Irish variation still hasn't gotten top charts or catagories. App releases are slower than I expected too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Of course, why they felt Siri's lack of localisation was a deal breaker for the ATV but not the iPhone remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its funny because it has worked flawlessly for me when using it through a US account.

Will try "Matthew McConaughey" and "Charlei And the Chocolate Factory" this evening though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Matthew McConaughey works fine, especially as "Mathew McConahee". Worked good for me. I didn't try the american "McConohay" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Do any of the Apps show free to air TV channels BBC, ITV etc ? Virgin Media account tv package disconnected last night and I haven't got around to sorting out a FTA replacement service.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Do any of the Apps show free to air TV channels BBC, ITV etc ? Virgin Media account tv package disconnected last night and I haven't got around to sorting out a FTA replacement service.

There is one(think I got it on the UK store) but can't remember the name. Will be home later this evening and will check if no one chimes in with the name in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Tonio

adox wrote: »
    There is one(think I got it on the UK store) but can't remember the name. Will be home later this evening and will check if no one chimes in with the name in the meantime.
    TV Player. Only works with smart DNS I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Got one from the states five days ago and succeeded in dropping and smashing the remote already. Certainly not as durable as the older version.

Now to see if i get can apple to replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I received an invitation for the Infuse beta. It's a great app on the iPad, plays pretty much all formats including DTS audio. The beta of the TV version is a little rough around the edges but plays everything off my NAS, organises TV shows by title, adds cover art etc. No more wading through crappy "smart" tv interface

smurfjed wrote: »
    Got one from the states five days ago and succeeded in dropping and smashing the remote already. Certainly not as durable as the older version.

Now to see if i get can apple to replace it.

Very unlikely. And a replacement will set you back 90 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just got Nasify which allows streaming from network, it's basic looking as in just lists the folders but so far the 2.99 price tag is well worth it. Might drop plex after all although I bought the premium version for the year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

iOS 9.2 and tvOS 9.1 out today. Bringing support for the remote app on the iPhone / iPad etc and keyboard input !!

No more swiping like crazy to type in those big long passwords !

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Very unlikely. And a replacement will set you back 90 euro.

You were correct, they wouldn't replace it, a new one cost US$84.

Now hoping that the iOS 9.2 and tvOS 9.1 upgrades allow me to use my Iphone/Ipad as remotes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Tonio

Any sign of the Ireland or UK broadcasters bring their players to ATV 4 - RTE, TV3, BBC, C4, ITV etc.

Also, would be handy to be able to subscribe to Setanta (incl. BT) without needing a dish.

And Eurosport player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Tonio wrote: »
    Also, would be handy to be able to subscribe to Setanta (incl. BT) without needing a dish.

Now that would make one of these worth buying!

Mentioned briefly on the Apple Watch thread. The Apple Watch remote app should now work with Apple TV.

• Advertisement

BBC Iplayer app now available on the UK store. :)

SBS on demand in Australian store. Over 400 films on demand plus to catch up service. Loads on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

So what setting do I have to change to use Siri in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

So what setting do I have to change to use Siri in Ireland?
    You have to log into an iTunes account that was created in a country where Siri is available on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Has anyone used Plex on this? I've one arriving from the states at the weekend to replace the crappy Samsung Plex client. I'm hoping the ATV codec support is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

stimpson wrote: »
    Has anyone used Plex on this? I've one arriving from the states at the weekend to replace the crappy Samsung Plex client. I'm hoping the ATV codec support is better.

I've tested it, not extensively but it worked fine for me. Streaming MP4 files from a NAS to the Apple TV. NAS was wired, ATV over wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

stimpson wrote: »

I use it regularly, it plays everything i try whereas the jailbroken atv2 only played about half.
    I do have a problem with it cutting off the last 30 seconds of old tv episodes. If i pause it near the end and hit play again it seems to go to the end. I haven't gone to see what codex it was as I'm now finished watching that series.
    The refresh of the menu screen after an episode is quite ugly but hopefully they can change this in time.

Thanks lads. Will be running it on gigabit Ethernet so that's not a worry. The Samsung client is maintained by someone as a hobby so updates aren't coming thick and fast. Plus it uses the built in Samsung codecs which are crappy even though my TV is only 2 years old. I can put up with the odd bug if it had good codec support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The Apple TV 4th gen only has a 10/100mbit network interface. So if you have a 802.11n router it's actually faster.

• Advertisement

The Apple TV 4th gen only has a 10/100mbit network interface. So if you have a 802.11n router it's actually faster.

Oh. I have ac actually ;)

But actually wtf is with 10/100? I bought a Steam Link a couple of weeks ago and it was 10/100 too. It must be 10 years since I bought anything without gigabit. I know my router is capable of 1300 megabit, but wired makes sense for non mobile devices.

Advertisement