Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sorry I meant ac old age I jumble up the 802.11 "standards".

As to why 10/100 I'm going to have to say it comes down to costs both for Apple and the manufacturers of those power plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

You're probably right. It's a bit silly when they ship it with a USB C port that you can't even use.

Anyway it will be sitting beside my router so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Sorry I meant ac old age I jumble up the 802.11 "standards".

As to why 10/100 I'm going to have to say it comes down to costs both for Apple and the manufacturers of those power plugs.

I read this on iMore:
    10/100BASE-T ethernet is fine for the amount of data being transferred by the Apple TV. Nothing you can throw at it should get anywhere near its saturation point. In fact, 10/100BASE-T is likely smarter than gigabit in this specific implementation because it consumes a more predictable amount of processing power, reducing the chance of dropped frames on higher bitrate streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm using mine paired to a Mac Mini running Plex which is hard-wired via router to my NAS. Router is a AC router with gigabit network ports and ATV is connected via AC1300 speeds so lightning fast. No problem with it skipping at the end of tv episodes though.
    I have premium plex but there's also an app called NASify which is basically a dnla browser for 2.99 in the app store and have to admit its fantastic for the price.. no frills..just does the job perfectly.
    One thing is I wish the remote had private listening...I took the plunge for the nvidia shield for my games room so I can still listen to movies while the kids are in bed etc without waking them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

What NAS are you using? Some have Plex server available.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    What NAS are you using? Some have Plex server available.

Synology ds212+, it had plex available but it's way faster to have it just as storage and have the Mac as the plex client

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Blazer wrote: »
    Synology ds212+, it had plex available but it's way faster to have it just as storage and have the Mac as the plex client

I'm on a Synology too. Plex Server package add-on prevents the NAS from sleeping. I bought Infuse Pro for the Apple TV, no need for Plex server or clients now. It maps directly to the NAS shares and grabs the usual artwork and so on, plays DTS and other Dolby standards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

One thing is I wish the remote had private listening...I took the plunge for the nvidia shield for my games room so I can still listen to movies while the kids are in bed etc without waking them up.

Could you not use bluetooth headphones with it?

str|ct9 wrote: »
    Could you not use bluetooth headphones with it?

I had a set of bluebirds but can't find them anyway...I prefer the wired sets I have as they are extremely comfortable and still allow me to hear the baby monitor at its lowest setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I have both Plex and MrMC installed. Both work fine with MKV and M4V files. I went with MrMC as they are promising DTS HD and Dolby HD pass through. All connected to my Synology NAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

cracker wrote: »
    I have both Plex and MrMC installed. Both work fine with MKV and M4V files. I went with MrMC as they are promising DTS HD and Dolby HD pass through. All connected to my Synology NAS

Im finding MrMc very clunky and very hard to use with the Apple remote. I end up using my harmony the odd time I am in it now.

Plex has a much nicer interface and is more user friendly. Also, ironically at this time Plex has more unofficial channels than MrMc.

I`m using a Mac as a server though which is on 24/7 so that sort of thing wont be ideal for everybody.

Having said that, Plex is free and better imo. Wasted money on MrMc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Quick question about Apple TV. Looking to purchase one today. I've just checked the iTunes movie section on my iPhone and it's only giving me the option to purchase the majority of movies etc. Not many for rent. Is it the same on the Apple TV?

Some films like American Sniper I would only rent, don't want to buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Quick question about Apple TV. Looking to purchase one today. I've just checked the iTunes movie section on my iPhone and it's only giving me the option to purchase the majority of movies etc. Not many for rent. Is it the same on the Apple TV?

Some films like American Sniper I would only rent, don't want to buy them.

A lot of the big films are available to buy only when they come to the iTunes store first but can be rented a few weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Can anyone recommend any american catch up apps to download that are free and non subscription based. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

this looks like a laugh

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

anyone played with it yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

How's the volume buttons on the remote for ye? I've noticed that turning the volume up or down a few times repeatedly results in it been over clicky and kind of stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Volume buttons fine for me. Not noticed any problems. The only thing I have seen is that it can take th box a little bit of time to wake up sometimes in recognizing the remote. It's literally a 1-2 second blip but can be annoying. Generally happy with the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone installed MrMC? I bought it last night and did some setup. I hope that down the line the guys who are porting this update the UI. It's really kind of a step backwards from things like Plex and inFUSE. It's pretty clunky and doesn't take any real advantage of the trackpad. Strangely I think my existing HTPC running KODI with an MS XBOX remote works way better. I see it doesn't support DTS passthrough just yet either. I bought it to have an alternative to InFuse as it bugs me that InFuse doesn't appear to store content and needs to update it's share metadata each time it's opened. Wish Plex would get around to doing DTS passthrough. It's possible obviously if MrMC and InFuse are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Apart from CompuB, any retailers selling this ? PC world ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think a few Argos stores have it. Or will order it for you. But they are 10-20 euro more expensive than Apple.

I asked PC World about it a while ago and they had no idea what I was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I think a few Argos stores have it. Or will order it for you. But they are 10-20 euro more expensive than Apple.

I asked PC World about it a while ago and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Cheers. Looks like Harvey Norman have it at Apple prices

... that goes for anything you ask in PC World ! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone installed MrMC?

I am using it and I actually like it although others here seem to disagree. I prefer the UI to Plex and although DTS HD is not working yet at least I can get DTS through my receiver. Trackpad works fine for FF or REWIND which is all I really use it for. Also I find the responsiveness really good. No lags browsing through my media collection although the ATV is hard wired as is my NAS so I am sure that helps.

Only grouch is that it didnt do a good job of indexing TV series so I have to revert to Plex for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GadgetGeek

cracker wrote: »
    I am using it and I actually like it although others here seem to disagree. I prefer the UI to Plex and although DTS HD is not working yet at least I can get DTS through my receiver. Trackpad works fine for FF or REWIND which is all I really use it for. Also I find the responsiveness really good. No lags browsing through my media collection although the ATV is hard wired as is my NAS so I am sure that helps.

Only grouch is that it didnt do a good job of indexing TV series so I have to revert to Plex for those.

Cracker if your using a mac, I add everything to iTunes through Smart Converter Pro 2 from the app store. It automaticaly applies Artwork, titles, indexing etc. Makes an excellent UI. Cost seems to be 14:99 euro now, but maybe try the free version first.

VLC for Apple TV now available !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

sibergoth wrote: »
    VLC for Apple TV now available !

Tried it last night and it was glitchy as hell. Wouldnt play some files and seemed to play every file in stereo.

MrMc is also awful imo.

Plex has been my go to. I think i will buy the full version of Infuse to see what its like. Does it support music folders? It can see my music folder but then shows it as empty. They are flac files on and external hard drive connected to a Mac. I know mac doesnt support flac natively but they wrk fine through Plex which does the conversion.

Anyway, it would be one thing if they wouldnt play but they arent showing at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Question for ATV owners: Is there way to see what resolution content is playing at in the Netflix app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Anyone side load Kodi onto their device? If so how is it performing?

Question for ATV owners: Is there way to see what resolution content is playing at in the Netflix app?

try here..
    generally speaking around 5-meg is required for 1080p content while 4k requires a minimum of 15 meg.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/3evl5n/how_do_i_check_the_resolution_of_netflix_to_make/

• Advertisement

try here..
    generally speaking around 5-meg is required for 1080p content while 4k requires a minimum of 15 meg.

https://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/3evl5n/how_do_i_check_the_resolution_of_netflix_to_make/

Yeah but sometimes Netflix is throttled down to SD quality by ISPs or routed through busy transit links (as Virgin Media is currently doing). I was just wondering if you could see exactly what resolution you were getting on the ATV app like you can with the PS3 and WDTV apps, but it seems you can't.

Advertisement