Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'm a small bit disappointed they didn't put in gigabit Ethernet but I guess 802.11 ac will do , just need to upgrade my access point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

What's the general consensus on the capacity? Why do we need the bigger one if apps are limited in size?
    Will it have any effect on streaming? I'll mostly be buying it for plex which will be along shortly I hope. I cant see myself needing the bigger drive but I don't want to regret not buying it later either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

brianomc wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on the capacity? Why do we need the bigger one if apps are limited in size?
    Will it have any effect on streaming? I'll mostly be buying it for plex which will be along shortly I hope. I cant see myself needing the bigger drive but I don't want to regret not buying it later either.

Apps can only be 200mb initially. They can download unlimited resources after that. I still think that most will be happy with the 32gb model. I'll be going for the 64gb though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm conflicted on the capacity options too. 32GB seems like plenty of space, but I don't want to boy and then get stuck for storage space down the line.

Anybody any guessed on price. I'd imagine the 32GB model will come in at at least €199. Probably €209 or €219.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I can't see it being over €200. My guess would be €169 (maybe €179) which would work out similar enough to the US price converted and VAT added on.

I dunno, the prices lately have been terrible compared to the dollar value.

I'm hoping but not optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

32gb is €179 and 64 gb is €229 ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

Narcissus wrote: »
    32gb is €179 and 64 gb is €229 ! :(

Also note, there's no Siri in Ireland so a trip to Belfast might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Also note, there's no Siri in Ireland so a trip to Belfast might be better.

No that doesn't matter, I ordered the 32gb just there, it has the same remote. Just no Siri. Not a deal breaker I guess.

edit: also, the price on the uk apple store is £129, that is around €179 at the moment so not worth the journey up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I think I will be holding off on this one. I'm a bit confused why 4K was not supported. No Gigabit Ethernet either.
    So you can create a 4K movie on your iPhone 6s. But it won't be playable on your new Apple TV.

Still not sure which to get. 32GB seems like a lot, but hope there's not something that will bump up app sizes or reduce storage in the future. Even without App thinning it seems like a lot of storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Apple online support say Irish AppleTV will include the same remote, so hopefully Siri will be software enabled in the near future.

The product page doesn't list any supported apps/channels for Ireland yet. You'd at least like to know the previous channels were supported. If it's anything like iOS app store many will be US only. Can see a lot of proxy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Will we be able to switch between our iTunes accounts in other countries like on the 3rd Gen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is this still going to be a closed system? I've heard talk of a Plex app and VLC app but nothing contrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

adox wrote: »
    Is this still going to be a closed system? I've heard talk of a Plex app and VLC app but nothing contrete.

Plex confirmed, in a tweet to iMore's Rene Ritchie, that they plan to have an app on the ATV at launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I think I will be holding off on this one. I'm a bit confused why 4K was not supported. No Gigabit Ethernet either.
    So you can create a 4K movie on your iPhone 6s. But it won't be playable on your new Apple TV.

Genuine query - what application do you need for greater than 100mbit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Given that the new Apple TV is available to buy does this mean there'll be a software update for existing Apple TV models?

• Advertisement

I wonder how many people who are crying out for 4K on this Apple TV actually have a 4K television? (not a dig at anyone in this thread but seems the general populous on the Internet are throwing hissy fits).

Dardania wrote: »

not every house is built for wifi, 802.11ac is great but some people love wires (myself included).

also considering my internet is faster than 100mbit I could see the reason behind wanting a better ethernet interface. that being said the chances of any provider providing anything greater than 100mbit down stream is another question altogether.

I wonder how many people who are crying out for 4K on this Apple TV actually have a 4K television? (not a dig at anyone in this thread but seems the general populous on the Internet are throwing hissy fits).

I see it more as future proofing than an immediate need. Could be another 3 years or more before Apple update the box again and by that time 4K will be a lot more widespread. That said, if Apple see this as a focus area updates could be yearly like most of their other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tiagomartinho

The Siri feature is disabled by software, the hardware is the same in every country.

The limitation can be bypassed using a VPN like I did in the following blogpost

heyappletv.com/2015/10/24/apple-tv-siri-in-any-country/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

not every house is built for wifi, 802.11ac is great but some people love wires (myself included).

also considering my internet is faster than 100mbit I could see the reason behind wanting a better ethernet interface. that being said the chances of any provider providing anything greater than 100mbit down stream is another question altogether.

Agree with you on rathering wired - I'm the same

My understanding was that bluray was around 30-40mbit - well within the capabilities of 100mbit ethernet

Netflix make these recommendations for their content: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

I'm not sure I'd discount the ATV4 on the basis of not having gigabit...now maybe the price is a reason to discount it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Dardania wrote: »

You don't as there is no 4K support. But generally streaming internally would be helpfull. As in AirPlay 1080p video large bluray rip etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Would love to hear people's feedback if and when they order one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

The Siri feature is disabled by software, the hardware is the same in every country.

The limitation can be bypassed using a VPN like I did in the following blogpost

heyappletv.com/2015/10/24/apple-tv-siri-in-any-country/

I was talking to a guy from Apple sales and he said Siri is available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

adox wrote: »
    Would love to hear people's feedback if and when they order one of these.

I've ordered so I should have it on Friday or Monday. It's coming from the Spanish apple store so "officially" has Siri. I have both Irish and Spanish (and UK and US :) ) accounts so I'll play with the accounts and regional settings to see which allow Siri and which don't.

Now if the order status would just move to "shipped" that would be great......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

I would imagine simply changing the region on the Apple TV will enable Siri. It's the same as Apple Pay on the iPhone.

I would be very surprised if it was different hardware. Getting one Friday, can't wait.

Advertisement