Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's not different hardware, although Apple gives it different names on each site.

https://twitter.com/ncremins/status/658636031680475136

I'd imagine the ability to turn Siri on will be based off your AppleID, log in with a US ID and you'll have the ability to switch it on, IE ID you won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just got a notification that my order has shipped. Delivery between 30th - 2nd. Originally was the 2nd - 4th. So there's a possibility that it will arrive tomorrow but I'd imagine it won't be here until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Same for me, the email I just got says it will be delivered tomorrow. But I got it sent to work and I'm off tomorrow. I didnt think it would arrive until next week.

Mine shipped via dhl express delivery. I didn't select express shipping so they must just be upgrading everyone :).

My Dev kit is finally updating too finally an App Store ;)

Yeah my assigned carrier is DHL Express too. I'm not familiar with them as nearly every order I've received has been through UPS. I've found UPS to be a bit slow lately, one recent order was postponed until the following day after I waited around all day and only had it update after the end of day. Another arrived around 4.30pm, again I had to wait around.

Hopefully DHL might actually get it to me before the weekend, I'll look forward to trying it out tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Will be delivered by tomorrow. Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Can't wait to hear some feedback on it from you guys when you get your hands on it.

It's mainly what apps are available that I'm most interested in. And is why I'm hesitating on purchasing.

Brian017 wrote: »
    Plex confirmed, in a tweet to iMore's Rene Ritchie, that they plan to have an app on the ATV at launch

Been doing a bit of reading on this and it doesn't look like Plex will be available at launch or amytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy from Apple sales and he said Siri is available in Ireland?

Yeah, the north eastern part.

My delivery is with the courier right now, so looks like I'll have mine by today anyway. Really quick from DHL.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    My delivery is with the courier right now, so looks like I'll have mine by today anyway. Really quick from DHL.
    Me too, Mines in a fairly oddly specific location

367069.png

Me too, Mines in a fairly oddly specific location

367069.png

Is that a delivery tracking app your using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Mine is sitting on my desk here in the office whispering go home, go home . Unfortunately the boss can't hear it so it'll be another 5 hours or so before I get to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kodi can be loaded onto these things cant it if its jailbroken?

Are these available today in bricks and mortar stores or is it only online?

Im on a day off from work and despite promising myself that Id wait and see what this comes with from launch, I am very tempted to make an impulse purchase.

doesn't look like compuB have them, doubt anyone else will have them.

https://twitter.com/compub/status/659725338184974336

Wanderer78 wrote: »

If they're able to be jail broken. Seeing as it's now based on iOS I'd imagine there will be a bigger community to jaikbreak. Right out of the box there is none, but down the line there is a possibility.

No BBC player app for a few months which is a bit disappointing. That and Plex would have been probably top of my list(along with Netflix) of apps that Id want.

adox wrote: »
    No BBC player app for a few months which is a bit disappointing. That and Plex would have been probably top of my list(along with Netflix) of apps that Id want.
    I'm guessing plex are either waiting until it's in the hands of many, or hit a snag in development.

BBC not being there on day 1 is a shame, they've a good development team that should have been on top of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If they're able to be jail broken. Seeing as it's now based on iOS I'd imagine there will be a bigger community to jaikbreak. Right out of the box there is none, but down the line there is a possibility.

I doubt it lads, the ATV3 was never jailbroken and KODI isn't available for iOS

It's arrived. no work done now for the rest of the day \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Plex app has been submitted to apple. Just waiting on the ok for it to hit the app store. It can't take too long seeing as they have the ok'd the iphone/ipad apps in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what are the main differences between these and alternative media technologies i.e. android boxes etc? advantages and disadvantages etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

mine may have to go back, unless ye can help!!

1st, opened it when it arrived plugged it in and it was all in Spanish, then worked with it in Spanish and the bluetooth couldn't pick up either my iPad or iPhone both of which are running ios9.1

2nd, eventually set it up manually in Spanish went into settings switched to english

3, pressed siri and nothing

4, googled it realised no siri for Ireland then switched over to my us account and siri works fine

5, back to bluetooth and it will not connect to iPhone or iPad not even picking them up and they are not picking the apple tv up either.

6, kicked the dog and cursed my life

7, wife rang with kids screaming, cursed my life again

Well what to do guys? Hard reset? Or send it straight back as everytime an OS update comes along will i be back to spanish?

mine may have to go back, unless ye can help!!

1st, opened it when it arrived plugged it in and it was all in Spanish, then worked with it in Spanish and the bluetooth couldn't pick up either my iPad or iPhone both of which are running ios9.1

2nd, eventually set it up manually in Spanish went into settings switched to english

3, pressed siri and nothing

4, googled it realised no siri for Ireland then switched over to my us account and siri works fine

5, back to bluetooth and it will not connect to iPhone or iPad not even picking them up and they are not picking the apple tv up either.

6, kicked the dog and cursed my life

7, wife rang with kids screaming, cursed my life again

Well what to do guys? Hard reset? Or send it straight back as everytime an OS update comes along will i be back to spanish?

It's weird that it didn't find the iPhone for the auto setup. Siri won't work in Ireland for now but could be enabled with an update.

When you say the iPhone can't find the Apple TV and vice versa what do you mean? Through the Bluetooth settings, or remote app?

AFAIK the remote app doesn't support the new Apple TV right now. So maybe that's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Maybe I got yours and you got mine :pac:

Thanks for confirming Siri works with the US account. Usually setting up Apple things start with the option to select a language. Maybe you were too excited about the new toy and hit okay for spanish by mistake? I'll see what options I get and post here later.

Received mine about 30 minutes ago. Packaging is strange, all black, and with the box itself black you can barely make it out. Strange for Apple since they usually have all white boxes and I've recently moved to force third party's to use similar packaging.

Might not get to have a proper play with it for a while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Could anyone who has one let me know if you can still fiddle with the DNS codes like you could on previous incarnations? Not being able to switch to get the American Netflix will be a deal breaker for me so keen to know before I order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

It's weird that it didn't find the iPhone for the auto setup. Siri won't work in Ireland for now but could be enabled with an update.

When you say the iPhone can't find the Apple TV and vice versa what do you mean? Through the Bluetooth settings, or remote app?

AFAIK the remote app doesn't support the new Apple TV right now. So maybe that's the problem?

basically i go into bluetooth settings on the TV, can obviously see the siri remote there and it starts looking for "other devices" then it finds nothing and my iPhone and iPad are there looking too right beside it

Advertisement