Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

basically i go into bluetooth settings on the TV, can obviously see the siri remote there and it starts looking for "other devices" then it finds nothing and my iPhone and iPad are there looking too right beside it

At least on the ATV3 you don't normally connect your iphone/ipad by bluetooth. It uses some sort of direct wifi connection between them and they automatically see each other.

You mentioned switching to your US id on the tv to activate Siri. Are the other devices on your irish id? What happens if you use the same for all? Are they all on the same network ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

At least on the ATV3 you don't normally connect your iphone/ipad by bluetooth. It uses some sort of direct wifi connection between them and they automatically see each other.

You mentioned switching to your US id on the tv to activate Siri. Are the other devices on your irish id? What happens if you use the same for all? Are they all on the same network ?

its all bluetooth now so no remote app as before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I hope to christ there is an update to the remote app to work with the 4th gen Apple TV. If you don't have Siri to search, hand pecking characters from the Alphabet on the on-screen keyboard is horrible.

To enable Siri (by the way) you only need to be logged into to an AppleID from a Siri supported country. No VPN or fiddling with the DNS settings that were mentioned before.

ok, update time, did a hard restore of the unit and now it works correctly from the start

they need to get the finger out and update the remote app as entering passwords etc is a pain in the hole

although maybe they won't, now that i think of it they want us to spend 79 euro on a new siri remote for games etc

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Just spoke with Compub in Limerick . They were expecting stock today but no sign as of yet. Imagining its the same in all stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I hope to christ there is an update to the remote app to work with the 4th gen Apple TV. If you don't have Siri to search, hand pecking characters from the Alphabet on the on-screen keyboard is horrible.

To enable Siri (by the way) you only need to be logged into to an AppleID from a Siri supported country. No VPN or fiddling with the DNS settings that were mentioned before.

So you can have multiple AppleID's like on the 3rd Gen? Terrific news, what I wanted to hear :)

Brian017 wrote: »
    So you can have multiple AppleID's like on the 3rd Gen? Terrific news, what I wanted to hear :)

yep log into one and asks do you want to switch stores and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'd say the remote app update will come soon. I never used the old remote for the Apple TV, without Siri and game controller support I might not need this one either. I'd expect an update to the app today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So guys if you are logged into US iTunes and using Siri and you search for a film, will it search whatever Netflix region you happen to be in at the time or only search the US one?

adox wrote: »
    So guys if you are logged into US iTunes and using Siri and you search for a film, will it search whatever Netflix region you happen to be in at the time or only search the US one?

haven't been able to check as I was only playing around with the Apple TV on my lunch. if someone doesn't get back to you by tonight I'll check this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭xper

Me too, Mines in a fairly oddly specific location

367069.png

Quick stop off to have the listening devices installed.

Mine's just arrived. Nice bonus to have it for the weekend after settling for standard delivery estimated for the middle of next week. I presume anyone who opted to pay for express delivery when ordering will get a refund?

There really should be a New Electronic Device Leave allowance in everyone's workcontract by law.

When did you guys order yours? Cause I ordered mine on Monday at 1:05 and its still only 'Preparing for Dispatch'.

When did you guys order yours? Cause I ordered mine on Monday at 1:05 and its still only 'Preparing for Dispatch'.
    ordered at 13:16 on Monday 26th.

ordered at 13:16 on Monday 26th.

Lucky sh*t. Yours is out for delivery while mine is still at an Apple warehouse :( lol

Lucky sh*t. Yours is out for delivery while mine is still at an Apple warehouse :( lol
    32 or 64?

Ordered mine shortly after 2.30pm on Monday and its arrived. 32GB model if that matters. Surprised you haven't got yours yet. Unless the tracking just hasn't updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Are you lads/gals who bought one able to change the DNS?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Ordered mine shortly after 2.30pm on Monday and its arrived. 32GB model if that matters. Surprised you haven't got yours yet. Unless the tracking just hasn't updated.
    32 or 64?

the 64gb version. Mine only changed to preparing for dispatch yesterday so I wasn't expecting it this week tbh. I'm just surprised coming on here to find people are starting to get theirs or they're out for delivery! Oh well I'm happy for them and Monday is only 3 short days away! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

just got my 32GB apple TV

no SIRI :(

I don't have a UK account... so what a balls that is !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

sibergoth wrote: »

We don't deserve it, we are only good for corporate tax 'processing' :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

well i have it fine on my phone !!

crazy..

no news app on iOS 9 either yet either.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

its not like it wasn't well publicised :rolleyes:

Just got my dispatched email with an est. delivery of 4/11 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It's easy to set up a free UK account. Not sure if we can give the steps here but a 2 second google should tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

If anyone sees any brick-and-motar shops around Dublin selling this from today, please chime in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishman25

Are you lads/gals who bought one able to change the DNS?

Yes you can change the DNS
    I think it's easier to change than the last Apple TV.
    I recommend you restart the Apple TV after you change the DNS, then install Netflix....
    I found I had to erase and reinstall Netflix after I changed the DNS to get it to work "properly" ;)

I was also surprised I got it today after Apple said I would get it on the 3rd :) was a nice surprise to wake up to....
    Unfortunately that surprise has a dark side since now I've learned I can't use Siri yet till I hope they just activate it for Ireland :(
    BUT the new touch remote is awesome and I'm looking forward to what will come in the App Store since at the moment it's a tad bare, especially for my 64gb, but I'm sure that will change soon

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

blue_blue wrote: »
    If anyone sees any brick-and-motar shops around Dublin selling this from today, please chime in!

CompuB stocking from tomorrow

So far so good, been using it for the last hour. Setup was simple enough, even with the fact I chose the manual setup. Interface is a lot nicer than the previous one, the remote works great so far. It's able to control my TV volume without me having to do anything. Also when I put the box to sleep the TV shuts off and when turning it back on the same. My TV doesn't support any of the connected features so glad to see this bit of functionality.

App Store is bare at the moment. Tried two games, enjoyed one but the other didn't work well with the TV remote. Glad to see YouTube is available at launch as well. I'd imagine it will get better in time.

Pity there's no Siri, at the moment pressing the button brings you to a search page, so at least that's something. It will start populating the list with instant results as your typing too.

The screen savers really look great, the parallax effect on the icons is another nice addition.

Overall it's decent but definitely needs more apps. The fact that Siri isn't supported means it lacks a major feature that's an important part of the whole system.

Down the road with a better selection of apps and Siri this could definitely be a great all round TV/gaming box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Why exclude Siri in Ireland. The iPhone uses Siri. British accent voice. She gets me 90%* of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I have been playing with it for the last hour and so far I find it good enough. The one thing I like is that you can download Apps from the various countries and have them all on the home screen at the same time. Before on the old Apple TV when you changed country location the Apps changed to the specific country. The Apps are very limited but hopefully it won't take long for more to come along.

Advertisement