Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone using the 4th gen and Unblock US? Really want one but if I can't easily use unblock to change regions I might just stick with my smart TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Anyone using the 4th gen and Unblock US? Really want one but if I can't easily use unblock to change regions I might just stick with my smart TV.

I'm using overplay which is pretty much the same thing. If works fine although I had to sign out of Netflix and then back in when I travelled to Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

haven't been able to check as I was only playing around with the Apple TV on my lunch. if someone doesn't get back to you by tonight I'll check this out.

Searching with Siri will only search US Netflix so if you select it, it will open up the Netflix app but it won't display the movie just the home screen of the Netflix app.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Tried to set up a US account with no credit card. It didn't like that at all.

I'll try a uk one.

what USA Netflix vpn/dns are people using ? I haven't had any luck with the free ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

sibergoth wrote: »
    Tried to set up a US account with no credit card. It didn't like that at all.

I'll try a uk one.

what USA Netflix vpn/dns are people using ? I haven't had any luck with the free ones.

Did you try to set up the account on a computer by switching to us Apple Store and start the create account by downloading a free app ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Unblockus

7 day free trial and you don't have to give them any payment details for the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

A few button combos I've found messing around with the remote.

Double click the 'Menu' button and it will start playing the screensaver. Press again to go back.

Double click the 'Home' button and it brings up a multitasking menu, swiping up on any screen (apps) will close the running app.

Holding in the 'Home' button will bring up an option to put the ATV to sleep.

I was surprised with the multitasking menu. Didn't expect to see that on tvOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I see Argos have the 64GB listed online for - wait for it..............a shocking €299!!

Poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

Picked one up today and happy so far. Is there any way for it control the hdmi input the way sky does, it's a pain having to select source on the to remote changing between sky and Apple TV

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »
    Picked one up today and happy so far. Is there any way for it control the hdmi input the way sky does, it's a pain having to select source on the to remote changing between sky and Apple TV

Where did you buy it from?

adox wrote: »
    Where did you buy it from?

Compu b

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Anyone getting a pop up message saying remote connection lost ? it comes up and then then says connected straight after. It has happened a few times, no issues with using the remote, just wondering if I need to do anything.

Just answering my own question, it seems to be doing as expected now for some reason, press sky button, switches to hdmi 1, press Apple TV button, switches to hdmi2

Narcissus wrote: »
    Anyone getting a pop up message saying remote connection lost ? it comes up and then then says connected straight after. It has happened a few times, no issues with using the remote, just wondering if I need to do anything.

Charge it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Charge it maybe?

yeah, doing that now, will try it again later

So is the consensus it's a little underwhelming out of the box but has loads of potential?

So I'm down in the pavilions in Swords and impulse got the better of me. Picked up a 64GB in CompuB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

That's a shame about video explorer. The sooner the Plex app is released the better.

• Advertisement

got Siri working with a UK Apple ID.. nice.. works very well.

now to try Unblockus

hmm, anyone tested Unblockus on a new apple tv yet ? i can't get it to work..

hmm, anyone tested Unblockus on a new apple tv yet ? i can't get it to work..

Will have a look when I get home.

Have you changed your DNS settings?

Also I think I read earlier in the thread that someone had to log out and back in to Netflix(which would be a pain) t get it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

torguard has an iOS vpn app which works brilliantly. Fingers crossed they release a version also for tvOs. if they don't at least the atv has 801ac speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Has anyone noticed a change in the airplay operation? I was airplaying a movie from plex on the phone, started up a game on the phone and the video dropped and the sound but not the picture from the game appeared on the tv. I wasn't mirroring.

I was coming off an apple tv2 so i might have to reconnect that to see. Hopefully plex will launch soon and I wont have to airplay stuff.

Overall I'm happy with it, I wasnt expecting it to be life changing, and its not. But coming from the atv2 i'm happy to go from 720p to 1080. And the old atv became very unresponsive after a few days requiring a reboot. It was jailbroken so that may have had something to do with it.

It would be nice if all apps can be developed so u can choose what to watch from the app on your phone and it plays on the app on the atv. Plex can do it (presumably anyway, it can do it for most devices) so I dont see why netflix, youtube etc cant

Will have a look when I get home.

Have you changed your DNS settings?

Also I think I read earlier in the thread that someone had to log out and back in to Netflix(which would be a pain) t get it to work.

nice one, that did it. (logging out of Netflix and back in)

yeah had the DNS set up.

very cool. got the US Netflix and the UK Siri !! sorted !

nice one, that did it. (logging out of Netflix and back in)

yeah had the DNS set up.

very cool. got the US Netflix and the UK Siri !! sorted !

Lots of content on the likes of Fox ABC etc which will work too. Download from the US store.

Thanks for that. Is there anyway to see all the apps in the App Store without going into the search function? When I put in "tv" into the search function on the UK store, it brought up dozens of apps I didn't know we're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Does the new ATV still require a live connection to iTunes or could it work of a USB hard drive or (even better) a server without requiring a computer to be turned on ?

• Advertisement

Lots of content on the likes of Fox ABC etc which will work too. Download from the US store.

so, after an evening of playing around.. i think i'm confusing the hell out of the search !

UK iTunes account for Siri,
    US Netflix via Unblockus DNS
    everything else, Ireland account.

If i ask Siri, show me comedies on netflix.. it pulls up a list of movies, cool.
    i selected the first one - which happened to be 'What we did on our holidays' or something like that - It showed available in Netflix and iTunes. I tried to play via Netflix and nothing happened...

subsequent searching on US netflix showed the movie just isn't available !

so - have I found a bug or am i just confusing the system! if Siri is UK based, is she looking in the UK Netflix catalog for movies?

weird also that a movie is available in UK and not US ???

Advertisement