Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

sibergoth wrote: »
    so, after an evening of playing around.. i think i'm confusing the hell out of the search !

UK iTunes account for Siri,
    US Netflix via Unblockus DNS
    everything else, Ireland account.

If i ask Siri, show me comedies on netflix.. it pulls up a list of movies, cool.
    i selected the first one - which happened to be 'What we did on our holidays' or something like that - It showed available in Netflix and iTunes. I tried to play via Netflix and nothing happened...

subsequent searching on US netflix showed the movie just isn't available !

so - have I found a bug or am i just confusing the system! if Siri is UK based, is she looking in the UK Netflix catalog for movies?

weird also that a movie is available in UK and not US ???

Do you need payment details to set this up? Will it take an Irish card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Can someone explain to me how to set the DNS up to get US Netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me how to set the DNS up to get US Netflix

Might get a slap on the wrist for discussing this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

xabi wrote: »
    Do you need payment details to set this up? Will it take an Irish card?

do you mean the UK account for Siri or the unblock US Netflix ?

UK account - no, you can select NONE when choosing payment details

US Unblock. i'm on the 7 day free trial, so not sure, but i assume they will take any credit card for payment

degsie wrote: »
    Might get a slap on the wrist for discussing this :cool:

ah sure i don't think its actually illegal or anything.. i don't see why geographical location should limit the content i can watch! My wife is American so i feel we should be able to watch American Netflix !!!

anyway you signup for a free trial at
    https://www.unblock-us.com

then fire in the DNS server into the Apple TV. it's pretty simple. Settings, Network, DNS. just use the up and down to set the server address

then i had to log out and back into Netflix.. also rebooted the apple tv.. bingo, full on US netflix working fine !

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Does the new ATV still require a live connection to iTunes or could it work of a USB hard drive or (even better) a server without requiring a computer to be turned on ?

definitely not a USB HDD.
    what do you mean exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Some thoughts:

Siri is amazing, works flawlessly except for one flaw; if you constantly hop between iTunes accounts you can confuse it into thinking you're still in a region where Siri isn't available even if you're logged into an account where Siri is available.

One problem which the multiple account approach is that Apple Music is on my Irish account so to play music I have to switch, which is a pain.

With Siri search you really need to be "all-in" US iTunes, US Netflix etc. or UK Siri, UK Netflix. there seems to be a back end that Siri uses that is only available to Siri searches for example search with Siri for Archer, notice the page that comes up offers iTunes and Netflix. Now turn Siri off and do the same search within the search app. It doesn't offer Netflix even though there should be no reason why not.

Games are great, but Game Centre is stupid, there's no app to view achievements. I wish games could be game controller only too as at the moment all games have to work with the trackpad.

Putting the Apple TV to sleep and having it turn off my TV is amazing.

The App Store needs voice search, categories and charts. It's kinda embarrassing as developer to have to say "search for my app".

I had a moment where I had some spare time over the weekend and said to myself "I'd love to watch some TWIT shows, I wonder if they have an app?" 20 seconds later I'm watching MacBreak Weekly on my AppleTV.

The remote is nice, but far too often I'm picking it up and it's facing the wrong way. I think the buttons - whilst they are symmetrically sound - don't help in this.

Overall I'm loving it, it's got a few kinks but in 6 months time when there are more apps and greater discoverability I think it will really shine.

Some thoughts:

The remote is nice, but far too often I'm picking it up and it's facing the wrong way. I think the buttons - whilst they are symmetrically sound - don't help in this.

Same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

definitely not a USB HDD.
    what do you mean exactly ?

Was wondering if it would work like my mac mini with PLEX. Just plug in a USB drive & then HDMI out to the TV & I don't have to have a separate computer running with iTunes on it serving media from there, (although I could if wanted to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

so, after an evening of playing around.. i think i'm confusing the hell out of the search !

UK iTunes account for Siri,
    US Netflix via Unblockus DNS
    everything else, Ireland account.

If i ask Siri, show me comedies on netflix.. it pulls up a list of movies, cool.
    i selected the first one - which happened to be 'What we did on our holidays' or something like that - It showed available in Netflix and iTunes. I tried to play via Netflix and nothing happened...

subsequent searching on US netflix showed the movie just isn't available !

so - have I found a bug or am i just confusing the system! if Siri is UK based, is she looking in the UK Netflix catalog for movies?

weird also that a movie is available in UK and not US ???

If you are using a UK account for Siri it will be searching UK Netflix so that is where the confusion is coming from I would think. I have a UK, Irish and US iTunes account to download apps but leave it logged into the US one and Netflix left on US when using Siri. So in your case Siri is searching UK Netflix but you have US Netflix selected.

Remember you can change the Netflix regions as well but you need to log out of Netflix on your ATV and then back in to get it to change, which is a bit of a pain. A handy tip on this is, when you are logging back in, there is a tab for "recent" or something like that and that will have a record of your email that you can select so you only then have to type in your password.

Some thoughts:

One problem which the multiple account approach is that Apple Music is on my Irish account so to play music I have to switch, which is a pain.

Are you a subscriber? I`m not but I noticed this as well that my music didnt show up in the music app because I was logged into my US iTunes account. It still all shows up in home sharing though so its alright for me, but if you are a Music subscriber it would be a pain(although a predictable one).

I am. TBH I don't really care that much. Music to me is to drown out people in work and my commute. I don't think the best use of a 42" Plasma is to be playing music especially with the now playing screen being as static as it stands :pac:

... eventually we'll get siri here and it will be slightly less of a pain i hope!..

... eventually we'll get siri here and it will be slightly less of a pain i hope!..

If it does happen you will till be in the same position. Siri will search the Netflix country that you are logged in to under iTunes.It does make sense really.

I had a moment where I had some spare time over the weekend and said to myself "I'd love to watch some TWIT shows, I wonder if they have an app?" 20 seconds later I'm watching MacBreak Weekly on my AppleTV.

Whats TWIT?:confused:

adox wrote: »
    Whats TWIT?:confused:
    https://twit.tv/ it's a podcasting network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just received mine and wondering why there's a lightning cable included?

Blazer wrote: »

To charge the remote.

Blazer wrote: »

Charges the Siri Remote.

• Advertisement

just got my USB-C to USB-A cable.. I'll be trying out a test app from Xcode later on the TV :)

(I'm trying to be an App developer!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Got mine but it doesnt turn off the tv when apple tv turns off how do I set this ???

Volume works on the tv but not this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Got mine but it doesnt turn off the tv when apple tv turns off how do I set this ???

Volume works on the tv but not this ?

Settings>Remotes and Devices>Control TVs and Receivers>On. If its on it could be that your TV doesn't support it.

The Remote app needs to be updated urgently, entering 20-30 character passwords on this thing is a bitch

Brian017 wrote: »
    Settings>Remotes and Devices>Control TVs and Receivers>On. If its on it could be that your TV doesn't support it.

The Remote app needs to be updated urgently, entering 20-30 character passwords on this thing is a bitch

What do you need a 30 character password for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

xabi wrote: »
    What do you need a 30 character password for?

All my passwords are that length especially accounts that have payment details attached to them.

Plex app added to the App Store. Yay!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is there any way to use the remote app on the phone? That used to be very handy for the old ATVs when you had long passwords etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Is there any way to use the remote app on the phone? That used to be very handy for the old ATVs when you had long passwords etc.

Not until Apple roll out an update, even Bluetooth keyboards don't work.

Very unlike Apple to not have this ready from day one.

The Plex app is great(and free) beautiful interface and very responsive. Throw in the unsupported App Store on to it and it really opens the box up.

Delighted it's available so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Might have to be in the US next month, would there be any issues (apart from the power cord) about picking up the US model which is €50 cheaper for the top of the range one?

Advertisement