Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV (2015 Model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Picked one up in iConnect in Henry st yesterday. The had a few more in stock of both sizes. So far looks good, plex app works very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

Can someone please explain to me what the benefit of having Plex on your ATV is? My current workflow after getting a movie file on my Macbook is as follows:

1. Convert file to m4V format using Handbrake, so it will play on itunes.

2. Once conversion is done(painfully slow as its practically in real time for a large file thats 1GB+) import the file into iTunes.

3. Play file on my Apple TV 3rd Gen through my TV.

How is using Plex better than the above? Does it just play the unconverted file without me having to put it through Handbrake? Or is it just their streaming channels that appeal to people?

If there are any other benefits to Plex I'm all ears!

Austin1 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me what the benefit of having Plex on your ATV is? My current workflow after getting a movie file on my Macbook is as follows:

2. Once conversion is done(painfully slow as its practically in real time for a large file thats 1GB+) import the file into iTunes.

How is using Plex better than the above? Does it just play the unconverted file without me having to put it through Handbrake? Or is it just their streaming channels that appeal to people?

Install Plex server on you Mac book & Plex Client on your ATV. No conversion required for your m4v.

Plex also indexes all the media on your Mac and presents it on the ATV (or other devices) with cover art and descriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

2. Once conversion is done(painfully slow as its practically in real time for a large file thats 1GB+) import the file into iTunes

Get iflicks. Super fast conversion & export directly to iTunes. Talking minutes for a large movie mkv or seconds for a tv show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

How is using Plex better than the above? Does it just play the unconverted file without me having to put it through Handbrake? Or is it just their streaming channels that appeal to people?rt

Why on earth do you put yourself to that trouble!
    There are so many options out there, simplest and cheapest probably being a chromecast. Personally I'd also invest in decent NAS to act as your server.

There are so many options out there, simplest and cheapest probably being a chromecast. Personally I'd also invest in decent NAS to act as your server.

If you already have a Apple TV v3, you don't even need a chrome cast. Just play it on the Mac and airplay it over to the Apple TV.

But a decent NAS is the way to go with Plex if you have a lot of movies/TV shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I go to this much trouble (well almost, I use iFlicks instead of Handbrake) because I travel a lot for work and I want to be able to watch my movies on the go as well as in the home. Not that much trouble really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

It's no hassle to do it with iflicks. Just drag them in, give them a couple of seconds to grab the meta data & press start.

You end up with a georgous display of media with all meta data pulled in iTunes.

All that stuff is embedded in the file so if you copy media to an iPad or iPhone/iPod it goes with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Finally see what all the fuss is about plex..Set up my mac mini as the plex server and just kept the nas as storage. Installed it on the apple tv and it's fantastic...of course my mac and nas are hard-wired to a gigabit router with 802.11ac speeds which the atv has so it's exceptionally fast..you definitely want the fastest router you can get when streaming if not hard-wired.
    Homeplugs are great too but I've two breakers in my house at least so they don't see the same devices on each which is a major pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What's the best NAS to buy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Synology Diskstation

all depends..QNAP are good as well but the synology interface is miles better.
    If you've an old pc at home you're better off using that and installing freenas on it.
    I was looking at the latest synology ds216 play for transcoding etc but it doesn't handle some codec that the majority of users use. Plus reviews for it are pretty bad. Pity as I love my one. Have it 2 years and its extremely reliable.
    Most reckon synology will launch a better ds216+ with better features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Austin1

Armonline wrote: »
    Install Plex server on you Mac book & Plex Client on your ATV. No conversion required for your m4v.

Plex also indexes all the media on your Mac and presents it on the ATV (or other devices) with cover art and descriptions.

How exactly do I install Plex Client on my ATV3? I did some online research which mentions running a Python script called 'Plex Connect' - that all sounds very complicated for a non-techie head like me! Is that the only way it can be done? If so would somebody be kind enough to throw up a YouTube link showing me step by step how you do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

How exactly do I install Plex Client on my ATV3? I did some online research which mentions running a Python script called 'Plex Connect' - that all sounds very complicated for a non-techie head like me! Is that the only way it can be done? If so would somebody be kind enough to throw up a YouTube link showing me step by step how you do this?

There was a way of switching the trailers app on the Apple TV but that could be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

I've used both QNAP most recently a Synology.

My QNAP is about 5 years old and the UI and features reflect that. The Synology is a few months old and is bound to have better features and a better user experience by virtue of being more modern.

BUt all things being equal (hate that expression!) I much prefer the Synology and in the short time I've had it, use it tons more.

I haven't read the previous posts on this thread but just note that some of the Synology models don't suport Plex.

shanec1928 wrote: »

That's bloody depressing...very few NAS support full transcoding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd prefer not to be doing transcoding on my NAS tbh. A dedicated server PC is far better IMHO. Id' pick a NAS for small scale decoding jobs.

OSI wrote: »
    Well they're designed for storing, not playing.

Yah but you consider synology's market and it was original geared at home users and being able to stream to all your devices. Shove an i5 in there and we'll be sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looks like Siri integration with Apple Music is coming with 9.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

use a Raspberry Pi and attach any USB HDD...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Really considering upgrading here, can someone confirm that VLC is available on the App Store on the TV?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

VLC developers are still beta testing their tvOS app.

Contemplating ordering from the UK to get Siri...I've read over the thread, and i can't really see there being many plus sides to getting it?

Are the remotes idential, apart from the irish model doesn't have a siri button?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

eeloe wrote: »
    Contemplating ordering from the UK to get Siri...I've read over the thread, and i can't really see there being many plus sides to getting it?

Are the remotes idential, apart from the irish model doesn't have a siri button?

No, they are fully identical. Did you read the thread at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

eeloe wrote: »

The boxes and remotes are identical. Siri is matched to whatever iTunes account you are logged in to so there is no advantage to buying in the UK.

Deepest apologies, I dunno why i thought the Irish model had a different remote...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

it might be cheaper from the UK ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EdenStudios

Why would Siri in Ireland on the ATV be restricted when it's available on the iPhone?

Advertisement