Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyers closing down

Options
  • 10-09-2015 3:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear about Boyers closing down. Did anyone here shop there ?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0909/726766-boyers-department-store-closure/
    The new owners of the Arnotts Group in Dublin have announced the closure of Boyers department store with the loss of up to 83 jobs.
    Fitzwilliam Finance Partners, led by property developer Noel Smyth, said in a statement the store will close in January 2016 “following an orderly wind down”.
    Boyers employs 48 people directly and up to 35 others through concession arrangements.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Have done, certainly. It was a bit of an anachronism, on a site that's probably worth a lot more as something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it's a small thing, that probably wasn't considered by the owners, but there is a sizeable number of pensioners who go daily to Boyers for their dinner. It's quite a little community.

But wait, we probably need another clone of a British High Street store in the city centre, or better still, an empty building.

Does this mean Arnotts is in trouble too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

spurious wrote: »

Does this mean Arnotts is in trouble too?

I think Arnotts have been having their difficulties aswell over the last few years. Are you suggesting Boyers is kept open to ramp up even more losses just to keep a few pensionners happy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

neris wrote: »
    I think Arnotts have been having their difficulties aswell over the last few years. Are you suggesting Boyers is kept open to ramp up even more losses just to keep a few pensionners happy?

No I'm not, I'm saying it will have many hidden effects that people may never know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sorry to hear about the job losses.The shop never seemed that busy any time I have been in it, or passing by it.Wonder if there are any redevelopment plans for it. Not heard anything from any of the workers yet but, I haven't watched the news. It looks like the Arnotts are dealing with this in a much more civilized fashion than Clery's, when they turfed their employees on their ass leaving the taxpayer to pay their redundancy entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

North Earl Street needs a full reboot. Hard to believe it's part of what's one of the most important crossroads in the city for pedestrians. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The restaurant is likely the only part of that store that takes in any money at this point - its not viable to keep the entire store open just for that.

Traditional department store retail is dead. The UK's small department stores pretty much all went bust over the past two decades, or got bought by Debenhams. Some of ours hung on a bit longer, but the writing was on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Place was stuck in a time warp. Can't remember the last time I was there and bought something. Arnotts by comparison is slick and modern and I believe it's profitable.
    Too much equity tied up in a valuable site like that to continue with the present 1960s model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Will probably end up being a weatherspoons, sadly

They don't usually put them THAT close together (there's one going in to the empty bank on Lower Abbey Street), nor would I suspect a change of use to a hotel being easy to get particularly if one goes in to the upper floors of Clerys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

spurious wrote: »
    No I'm not, I'm saying it will have many hidden effects that people may never know about.

plenty of other old-school places to eat around there (Kylemore, various greasy spoons etc).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

It was an antiquated depressing kip. I'm from the northside but I've given up on that area, just full of junkies and tacky shops. I bypass it now and head to Grafton St area.
    I'd say most of boyers customers are dead by now. It'll probably turn into a Dealz now or something which makes sense given where it is. They're hardly going to open a Whole Foods Market or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

What that street is crying out for is a travel agents/Carrolls/hairdressers/bookies/€ shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

End of an era. Sad to see it go. Had many the lunch in there with the mammy on a Saturday afternoon, but it's a victim of its location, drab interior and uninteresting merchandise. I lived in the IFSC for 2 years & I walked up Talbot St/N Earl St on a daily basis, heading towards Henry St. I don't think I ever foot in the place once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

WTF is sad about Spoons?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I used to like shopping there... but I'm not your typical shopper, stroll in, get a jacket \ shirt \ pair shoes \ slacks as needed and get out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was in the place once with my mum last summer, there was nothing of interest to us.

Its sad when a business closes down, but if people aren't interested in their products, the shop will clothes.

At least they showed respect the their workers, unlike clearys.

It would be great if it was turned into a top class restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is sad when a business closes down, but businesses need an environment they can work in... I think it's fair to say that O'Connell Street \ North Earl Street \ Talbot Street hasn't had any favours from DCC in that regard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It would be great if it was turned into a top class restaurant.
    A top class restaurant in North Earl Street would be as out of place as a ham sandwich at a Bar Mitzvah :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I used to like shopping there... but I'm not your typical shopper, stroll in, get a jacket \ shirt \ pair shoes \ slacks as needed and get out.

Same here, and bought clothes in there over the years.

But sadly its a part of the city center I'd rather avoid now what with addicts, tacky shops etc.. Its a horrible part of town.

I'd a Swiss friend over last summer, on her first full day here she was mugged at three in the afternoon on the junction of North Earl St and O'Connell St.

Can't blame people for avoiding the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Any time I've been in to the Restaurant usually at Christmas, the upstairs section in particular is an odd place. Probably stuff on the rails still there one year later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Funny, they had most of the same franchises as Clery's and Arnott's. I'd nip in if Cleary's or Arnott's hadn't got my size. Always very old-fashioned looking for some reason. Reminded me of Frawley's. Got a good coat there the odd time, not too expensive.

Shame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

WTF is sad about Spoons?

Shìte soulless pubs, bad beer, bad music and they seem to attract every sort of tosser going under the sun as customers. Pretty fûckin sad places.

Sad to see Boyers go. Another Dublin landmark and institution gone by the wayside. All our streets are just becoming identikit British high streets, the same chains with the same brands yadda. I'm sure there was a logical financial why it couldn't continue but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Strumms wrote: »
    Shìte soulless pubs, bad beer, bad music and they seem to attract every sort of tosser going under the sun as customers. Pretty fûckin sad places.

Sad to see Boyers go. Another Dublin landmark and institution gone by the wayside. All our streets are just becoming identikit British high streets, the same chains with the same brands yadda. I'm sure there was a logical financial why it couldn't continue but still.

Not far wrong

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/sports-direct-acquires-boyers-site-for-12m-report-34725323.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

At least this means that there's not going to be a giant Sports Direct in the Clery's building I suppose.

Strumms wrote: »
    Shìte soulless pubs, bad beer, bad music

You have clearly never actually been in a Wetherspoons.

They don't have any music, most don't even have sound on the TVs.

They are known for their range and quality of beer. They usually have one tap of piss to appease the mass market. Not having whatever brand you want != "bad beer"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

miamee wrote: »
    At least this means that there's not going to be a giant Sports Direct in the Clery's building I suppose.

Of course not, silly. That's going to be an Apple Store. Haven't you heard? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Irish Times has a snide dig at Clery's in its report today.

"The announcement of the closure of Boyers came just months after nearby Clerys closed down, although the manner of the closure was markedly different. "

Miaow!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'll believe that about Apple if I ever see it and not a minute before :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Putting a Sports Direct there will bring down the tone of the area even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

L1011 wrote: »
    You have clearly never actually been in a Wetherspoons.

They don't have any music, most don't even have sound on the TVs.

They are known for their range and quality of beer. They usually have one tap of piss to appease the mass market. Not having whatever brand you want != "bad beer"

I have been to several ones in the UK and for the first time the one in Dun Laoghaire 2 days ago only at the behest of the other half who wanted to try it so I begrudgingly gave it a go...

My experience was this...

Broccoli and Blue Cheese soup which arrived with cheddar in it instead of blue cheese. Served with two slices of white sliced pan Brennan's bread that had been given 20 seconds in the microwave. Beer was warm and flatish, service was polite efficient and friendly, toilets were very clean yet most of the tables were filthy despite it not being overly busy and there didn't seem to be any floor staff at all, we had to go a ways up the back to find a clean table.

I wasn't paying attention to the music in particular if there was any but there certainly is music played and during the day too in Weatherspoons that I have been in , in the UK.

So to start with, your assertion that I have never been in a Weatherspoons is incorrect. Also I never said that not having a beer that I liked was bad beer, the brands might be ok but what you have in your glass tastes like piss often. Come back to me when you have a bulls notion of what you are going on about.

Advertisement