Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyers closing down

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Putting a Sports Direct there will bring down the tone of the area even more.

Just what the area needs. :rolleyes: More zero hours type contracts and or minimum wage positions if some are 'lucky', lovely. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you hear music in a JDW pub, you're in a Lloyds not a Wetherspoons. They don't have kit to play music let alone actually play it.

You were wrong, face it.

The food is crap but its cheap - if you can afford to eat elsewhere, do. The beer is quite good, despite your little moan - the only beers that are ever going to 'taste like piss' in normal parlance are cheap adjunct lagers which they don't even sell. They have a large range of good beer but clearly not what you wanted!

I would welcome a Wetherspoons over most pubs in that area of the city.

L1011 wrote: »
    If you hear music in a JDW pub, you're in a Lloyds not a Wetherspoons. They don't have kit to play music let alone actually play it.

You were wrong, face it.

The food is crap but its cheap - if you can afford to eat elsewhere, do. The beer is quite good, despite your little moan - the only beers that are ever going to 'taste like piss' in normal parlance are cheap adjunct lagers which they don't even sell. They have a large range of good beer but clearly not what you wanted!

I would welcome a Wetherspoons over most pubs in that area of the city.

Thanks, but I am normally aware of my surroundings and what pubs I have been in, the only sort of chain bar I have found worse is Yate's although thankfully not here as yet. I find the beer poor as I expressed, it's not really a little moan, it's an opinion and if you have lower standards or poorer taste that is your own business, nothing to do with me, each to their own, off you go and enjoy 'spoons' bud.

Strumms wrote: »
    Thanks, but I am normally aware of my surroundings and what pubs I have been in, the only sort of chain bar I have found worse is Yate's although thankfully not here as yet. I find the beer poor as I expressed, it's not really a little moan, it's an opinion and if you have lower standards or poorer taste that is your own business, nothing to do with me, each to their own, off you go and enjoy 'spoons' bud.

What beer were you drinking (and what did you want to buy instead?)

I consider my standards and tastes fine, thanks. I also have good enough hearing to notice what music is or isn't being played - you can insist all you want but they do not play music, end of story. You misheard or are misremembering, or were in a Lloyds (which is owned by the same firm but is not branded as such - and there aren't any in Ireland)

L1011 wrote: »
    What beer were you drinking (and what did you want to buy instead?)

I consider my standards and tastes fine, thanks. I also have good enough hearing to notice what music is or isn't being played - you can insist all you want but they do not play music, end of story. You misheard or are misremembering, or were in a Lloyds (which is owned by the same firm but is not branded as such - and there aren't any in Ireland)

I think you are misunderstanding my point about the beer. It's not a case about the wrong brand or whatever I just found the beer being not very good. I know they don't serve Guinness which is fine but if I went into a pub and tasted a pint of Guinness and said.. pint isnt great here.. be it warm, too cold, tang off it whatever... I had a pint of Tuborg which I have liked before (not to others tastes maybe) but when it comes at you warm and slightly flatish then it's not quality despite whatever the brand is. I cant remember on previous visits to the UK ones as quite a while ago now but I found the beer not great. Unfortunately it's not always my choice in these situations and more a case of where you are brought then where you are going... but so it goes.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    I think you are misunderstanding my point about the beer. It's not a case about the wrong brand or whatever I just found the beer being not very good. I know they don't serve Guinness which is fine but if I went into a pub and tasted a pint of Guinness and said.. pint isnt great here.. be it warm, too cold, tang off it whatever... I had a pint of Tuborg which I have liked before (not to others tastes maybe) but when it comes at you warm and slightly flatish then it's not quality despite whatever the brand is. I cant remember on previous visits to the UK ones as quite a while ago now but I found the beer not great. Unfortunately it's not always my choice in these situations and more a case of where you are brought then where you are going... but so it goes.

I have never experienced that there, but I don't drink Tuborg unless Lidl are out of most other stuff (as its cheap and acceptable).

I've had crap pints of lager in nearly every pub I've been in in Dublin, though. Returned them occasionally they've been that bad if the staff looked amenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Genius for Sports Direct to open there, it's probably got the biggest concentration of cheap tracksuit wearers in the world right at it's doorstep!

Have to agree with L1011, Wetherspoons is quality beer. I wouldn't go to a pub for music myself and atmosphere is generated by people, not tables and chairs or a name above a door. Great atmosphere in the one in Blackrock anyway. As for food, it's ok for the price, serves a purpose. But I don't think I'd visit a pub in that location, you know it's going to be full of skangers. Is Madigans still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Putting a Sports Direct there will bring down the tone of the area even more.

I think get this argument in 2016 anymore. Lifestyle sports opened on Grafton St and everyone expected the area to turn into Sheriff St circa 1992 over night. But the Lifestyle Sports is gorgeous and wouldn't look out of place in any other store on the St. The super rich like to workout and buy sports apparel too.

Dublin doesnt have a proper large sports sport. Go to any German city and you will find several large sports stores where you can buy anything from tents to bikes to runners. I visited one that was 7 storeys high once. Since luxury department stores in Germany have massive sports departments. Dublin sports stores are tiny

If Sport Direct attracts the right clientele like Lifestyle Sports did on Grafton St. It might kick start the redevelopment of that area, as its 'tone' could not possibly get any lower. You don't spend €12million on a store, if you want to appeal to only lower class tracksuit wearing customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I think get this argument in 2016 anymore. Lifestyle sports opened on Grafton St and everyone expected the area to turn into Sheriff St circa 1992 over night. But the Lifestyle Sports is gorgeous and wouldn't look out of place in any other store on the St. The super rich like to workout and buy sports apparel too.

Dublin doesnt have a proper large sports sport. Go to any German city and you will find several large sports stores where you can buy anything from tents to bikes to runners. I visited one that was 7 storeys high once. Since luxury department stores in Germany have massive sports departments. Dublin sports stores are tiny

If Sport Direct attracts the right clientele like Lifestyle Sports did on Grafton St. It might kick start the redevelopment of that area, as its 'tone' could not possibly get any lower. You don't spend €12million on a store, if you want to appeal to only lower class tracksuit wearing customers.

Sports Direct is a low end shop. It would attract more scumbags to the area than Dr Quirkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

newacc2015 wrote: »

SD is an "apparel" store mainly, isn't it? What you're describing is more like Decathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

loyatemu wrote: »
    SD is an "apparel" store mainly, isn't it? What you're describing is more like Decathlon.

Their website has a massive range similar to Decathlon. I imagine that is the approach they will take here. I seriously doubt they spent €12 million to only sell Jerseys, etc when they could have just rented a smaller unit elsewhere in the City

http://www.retail-week.com/in-pictures-sports-direct-opens-oxford-street-flagship/5060550.fullarticle

They opened a massive store on Oxford St in London, which has a cycling, swimming and running section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Sad to hear that a sports shop is moving in to former Boyers shop.

North Earl Street & O'Connell Street have fallen from any kind of quality they
    ever had.

Don't even talk about Talbot Street. :eek:

Advertisement