Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright stars

Options
  • 10-09-2015 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭

While out and about a few minutes ago I noticed 2 very large bright stars out to the west. One below the other at roughly a 60° angle. Mars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Reggie. wrote: »
    While out and about a few minutes ago I noticed 2 very large bright stars out to the west. One below the other at roughly a 60° angle. Mars?

Mars, Jupiter and Venus are all in the East at sunrise this weather, and are much closer than 60 degrees.

You probably saw aliens.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you have a smartphone, download an app like Google Sky Map.

That way you can avoid aliens and trolls...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If you have a smartphone, download an app like Google Sky Map.

That way you can avoid aliens and trolls...

It'll also allow you to tell East from West.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

God your very helpful in here. It's was west by the way as I can tell the difference.

God your very helpful in here. It's was west by the way as I can tell the difference.

OK, the brightest star in the West at that hour was Aldeberan in Taurus, which is a bit reddish. Something bright higher in the sky? Capella, maybe.

Definitely no bright planets over there.

Stellarium is another handy smart phone app for this job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You posted that at 5:52 a.m. so I set my Skymap to 5:40 a.m. and to the NW I can see Vega (in Lyra) with Deneb (in Cygnus) above it and to the left, the two possibly describing an angle of 60 degrees to the horizon. They're most likely what you saw.

A lot of people reading your post this morning may have assumed that you were star gazing last night rather than in the early hours so it's usually best to state (in the text of your post) what time you were observing.

coylemj wrote: »
    You posted that at 5:52 a.m. so I set my Skymap to 5:40 a.m. and to the NW I can see Vega (in Lyra) with Deneb (in Cygnus) above it and to the left, the two possibly describing an angle of 60 degrees to the horizon. They're most likely what you saw.

A lot of people reading your post this morning may have assumed that you were star gazing last night rather than in the early hours so it's usually best to state (in the text of your post) what time you were observing.

Was just walking in from feeding the cattle and noticed them shining brightly and didn't notice them before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

coylemj wrote: »

Well he did say 'a few minutes ago' and the timestamp was 5.52 so ya know... ;) well it probably was those two esp. if the one closer to the horizon (Vega) was noticeably brighter.

Glad to report that there are no aliens this morning :)

Advertisement