Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business vs. Geography

• 10-09-2015 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've just started 6th year and I'm planning not to count English anymore as I'm in a new school and stuff. I've heard a lot about these two subjects, business and geography, and some of my friends say pick up business while others say geography. I've a course to get done in one year and I'm willing to work for it. Which one is better in the long run? I do maths, biology, chem, physics, applied maths and French (excluding English)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

While I don't have advice on which is the best subject to choose i would advise you on not pre-choosing english as the subject you will not be counting, passing LC english is a minimum for most colleges, its not a subject you want to be failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Good luck learning and comprehending all the material in a two year geography course in one year.

There's too much knowledge, you won't be able to do geography in one year, plus there's a project that has to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

The Institute manages to successfully teach both subjects in a year.

For my money, geography would be the easier. The method of answering is less specific and the material is, at least IMO, less technical and more intuitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would advise you to talk to a guidance counsellor. Why are you leaving out English as one of your subjects? Will you keep it on at HL? Do you hope to study in Ireland? Is English your first language?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Safda

Noo wrote: »
    While I don't have advice on which is the best subject to choose i would advise you on not pre-choosing english as the subject you will not be counting, passing LC english is a minimum for most colleges, its not a subject you want to be failing.
    I'm definitely not planning to fail it. I just want a subject which I can get an A2 or higher.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I would advise you to talk to a guidance counsellor. Why are you leaving out English as one of your subjects? Will you keep it on at HL? Do you hope to study in Ireland? Is English your first language?

English is my third language but I'm able to get in the B grades. I'm planning to study in Ireland and I'm keeping it at HL. I won't be counting it as the top 6 because I'm aiming for As. I'll be able to get an A1 in biology, chemistry, physics, applied maths and maths which makes 5 out of 6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just make sure you have all the Matriculation requirements for the course you want, regardless of the points.

spurious wrote: »
    Just make sure you have all the Matriculation requirements for the course you want, regardless of the points.
    Don't worry, I've got that covered :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I do both Business and Geography, and truthfully it depends on the person.
    Business is :
    More technical material wise. it's much more definitions and lists then anything else, examples are necessary and you need to be creative to think of some of them!
    The method to answering is very specific. Everything must be short and concise yet you need to cover everything.
    There's no project work but there are Applied Business Questions which take a while to get use to!

For geography it's a little different.
    There's more processes, erosion/deposition in rivers etc.
    The questions are easier to answer. It's just about covering the info and getting it down in the time given.
    I'd also go as far as to say everything in Geography is easier to learn, the information is far similar than business. Then again a decent level of English is required for both!
    Also you have the project work which may be hard to do in a year!

Regardless it's your choice.
    If it's an option Economics is known for being easy to cover in a year. I don't do it but apparently it's not impossible (still not too easy)
    Best of luck choosing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I'm sorry but both of these subjects sound like a very large course for to be all done in a year and get an A upon. If you're willing to work that hard, do you not consider just putting that effort in English?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but both of these subjects sound like a very large course for to be all done in a year and get an A upon. If you're willing to work that hard, do you not consider just putting that effort in English?
    I've decided I'm going English grinds and putting more effort into it. I can get a B1 or A2 but that's not a solid. But I'm going for it.

Advertisement