Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So difficult to find somewhere (Dublin City Centre, North and South City Centre)

Options
  • 10-09-2015 8:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

My budget is 1000 a month - been looking for 3 weeks now - 1 bedroom just for me - (City centre, D1, D2, Phibsboro/Smithfield/Drumcondra/Temple Bar/Camden Georges Aungier Wexford Street)

Just cant find anywhere - there's so little being put up and listed from what I can see

Been to 2 viewings, and the second I REALLY liked (Dorset St) and was convinced I had it but just got a text there saying he gave it to the first viewer out of fairness.

I'm primarily looking on DAFT.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My budget is 1000 a month - been looking for 3 weeks now - 1 bedroom just for me - (City centre, D1, D2, Phibsboro/Smithfield/Drumcondra/Temple Bar/Camden Georges Aungier Wexford Street)

Just cant find anywhere - there's so little being put up and listed from what I can see

Been to 2 viewings, and the second I REALLY liked (Dorset St) and was convinced I had it but just got a text there saying he gave it to the first viewer out of fairness.

What am I doing wrong?

The only thing you're doing wrong is looking in an area without a budget for that area. Decent one beds are now 1100-1200 minimum. The reality is most one beds are occupied by two people so the rent is more affordable. You either need to increase your budget or extend your search area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

athtrasna wrote: »
    The only thing you're doing wrong is looking in an area without a budget for that area. Decent one beds are now 1100-1200 minimum. The reality is most one beds are occupied by two people so the rent is more affordable. You either need to increase your budget or extend your search area.

A little over a year ago I got a fantastic TWO bedroom apartment beside the Mater Hospital for 1000 a month - although I can appreciate I was incredibly lucky and lightning is not likely to strike twice.

Still though, I thought 1k for a 1 bedroom in this day and age where I'm looking would have been realistic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 heylin

If you are constrained by your budget and unable to increase beyond 1k per month, would you consider a house / apartment share? That might be more affordable in the areas you are looking. The sharing section on Daft would be a good place to look if you want to go down this route.

Alternatively, you could look for one bed apartments further out.

Hope you find something soon.

heylin wrote: »
    If you are constrained by your budget and unable to increase beyond 1k per month, would you consider a house / apartment share? That might be more affordable in the areas you are looking. The sharing section on Daft would be a good place to look if you want to go down this route.

Alternatively, you could look for one bed apartments further out.

Hope you find something soon.

I wouldn't be able to share to be honest but thanks for your feedback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

All the areas you list are either city centre locations or inner suburbs and as such will be sought-after areas due to their proximity to town. Landlords can charge a premium on their properties in these areas in the current market. You'll have to widen your search.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's time of year as well with the colleges starting back.

Are you needing to rent soon?

I live in Swords and there was one place to rent for less than 1000 here earlier today

Stheno wrote: »
    It's time of year as well with the colleges starting back.

Are you needing to rent soon?

I live in Swords and there was one place to rent for less than 1000 here earlier today

Yeah It would be difficult to commute to work from Swords - plus I've lived my entire life in the city centre so would find it hard to move away I guess

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah It would be difficult to commute to work from Swords - plus I've lived my entire life in the city centre so would find it hard to move away I guess

My pint was more how expensive renting is at the moment you'll have to increase your budget or look to move further out

Stheno wrote: »
    My pint was more how expensive renting is at the moment you'll have to increase your budget or look to move further out

Aye. I'll persevere!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Grove Park - just over the canal, so not far outside your area - and South Circular often have flats in that price range. they're not amazing but for the budget... also further up Rathmines road. An awful lot of Rathmines flats seem to have been renovated in last year or so (including mine) which I am sure is just a coincidence of the inspections...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You should get a place for a grand on that budget, you just have to keep looking. But yea Rathmines and SCR might have a few more options for you. It took me about 7 weeks to get somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Cross over from Smithfield and look in D8 on the river. Viking Harbour, The maltings etc. There are some small one beds and studios for around a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

What am I doing wrong?

€ 1000 is a realistic amount for a one bed in the suburbs but not for the city centre, why dont you look for one beds near the Luas line which will get you into town in 30-40 mins?
    There are alot more one beds for rent outside of the city or else you will have to raise the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 8 heylin

The more I think about this, the more I realise how surprised I would be if there were 1 bed apartments to rent in Dublin city centre for €1k per month. I remember looking at Daft almost two years ago and seeing most (if not all) 1 bed apartments priced at €950 p/m min. Given the rate of increase in rents in that time, they would have easily passed the €1k p/m mark.

As Pac2015 suggests maybe you could rent in the suburbs on a good transport link (e.g Luas) in order to find something within your budget.

daft.ie advanced rental search allows you to search along specific public transport routes.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

wow just did a search on daft for 1 bed apartments up 1k per month... only 9 properties in the whole of south Dublin city... Dublin 2-24. That's nuts! Also one or two of them I wouldn't put a dog in!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They say travel broadens the mind .. give the suburbs a shot, they really aren't so bad. And they're a bit cheaper more within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm looking to move out so started the househunt.

Something that drives me mad is that you'd see some ads, perfect looking apartments/houses, nice big rooms, great location, "cheap" rent and the catch is they are only looking for females.
    It happens over and over again.

If the same property was advertised as looking for either males or females it would be more expensive.

it's so unfair.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

Barna77 wrote: »
    I'm looking to move out so started the househunt.

Something that drives me mad is that you'd see some ads, perfect looking apartments/houses, nice big rooms, great location, "cheap" rent and the catch is they are only looking for females.
    It happens over and over again.

If the same property was advertised as looking for either males or females it would be more expensive.

it's so unfair.
    :mad:

Advanced search, males only. What annoys me is when they select males or females in the options and then write females only in the body of text.
    Also, why do people mark shared rooms as single or double? They're shared, when I select any non-shared room, I don't want to see any bloody shared rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

pillphil wrote: »
    Advanced search, males only. What annoys me is when they select males or females in the options and then write females only in the body of text.
    Also, why do people mark shared rooms as single or double? They're shared, when I select any non-shared room, I don't want to see any bloody shared rooms.
    Yep. I have the email alerts set for double rooms only and I still get ads for shared ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

They say travel broadens the mind .. give the suburbs a shot, they really aren't so bad. And they're a bit cheaper more within your budget.

Then you have to pay about a hundred a month for a Luas/Bus ticket. Throw on a few taxis a month after a night out and hours each week spent commuting. There is no saving to be had living in the suburbs.

Unless it was something for €700 a month. But realistically it will probably be a hundred euro cheaper at most(with the ticket for transport, there is no difference).

OP your choice is increase your budget or accept a house share. There is no bargains to be had in 2015

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Then you have to pay about a hundred a month for a Luas/Bus ticket. Throw on a few taxis a month after a night out and hours each week spent commuting. There is no saving to be had living in the suburbs.

Unless it was something for €700 a month. But realistically it will probably be a hundred euro cheaper at most(with the ticket for transport, there is no difference).

OP your choice is increase your budget or accept a house share. There is no bargains to be had in 2015

Get pedlin'

Advertisement