Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village proposed Development

Options
  • 10-09-2015 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Heard there was a meeting re above recently. Anyone with details of what is going to happen and timescale involved? Seems to be dragging on for ages

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

12th of Never I'd say.

I remember that playground on the convent grounds being announced when my eldest was a baby. She's in school now. I reckon she'll be doing her leaving cert before we see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

They had a contractor picked but they pulled out I think.
    Either way they had to go back to the start of the tendering process.
    It's supposed to be getting underway this autumn.

I think the first phase is focused on the harbour and removing the road. The convent part will be the second phase and requires funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I'd say they've been making promises for 4/5 Years about developing it, if not more. When the local elections were on last Year they had engineer's down for a week or so. Dug a few holes in the road, councilors said it would be starting in 2015 and nothing has happened. Typical politicians, liars.

The lane down by Convent wall is bedlam in the mornings. The road was built probably 100 Years ago. They're supposed to be widening it. The buses often get stuck there and you get the occasional mexican standoffs when some people try to bully there way up and don't give way when they should. I've seen people getting out of their cars for verbals over the Years. There were supposed to be putting a children's park in the field in front of the Convert and open it up for the community. Nothing done. As I say the whole thing is a joke at this stage.

I've heard nothing about a 'meeting' on it. Are you talking about a Council meeting (of which there's probably been dozens) where they've ****ted on about it or a local meeting ? if it's a local meeting l could find out handy if it's another Council promise meeting it's not worth a ****e. Apologies for the language but they're a shower of langers the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I agree clerk. I am new to the area and when the last council election was on - I was told it was a done deal (this candidate had 'waited 20 years for this development and with my vote, the bulldozers would be there in the morning').
    It's always been spoken about, but nothing ever seems to happen. The last rumour I heard,(in 2011) was that the scout hall was going to be demolished, but it's still standing strong.
    It's a shame that it remains so desolate as a village. It was such a pity the pizzeria was destroyed- I'm not sure if they have plans to reopen? The Natural Food Company seems to be the heart of Blackrock, as Dees Delights (the other coffee shop) has closed.

With the population around and the attraction of the river and walkway, you would think that there would be something in place to make the most of the amenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

pity the pizzeria was destroyed- I'm not sure if they have plans to reopen? The Natural Food Company seems to be the heart of Blackrock, as Dees Delights (the other coffee shop) has closed.

I didnt realize Dees closed. Theres a second cafe (Italian) right next door to where the pizzeria was called Pronto. So far as I know they do plan to re-open but anyhow if you want lunch or a coffee to go I much prefer it to the natural food company. Americano is €2 and loyalty card gives you a free one after 5. Its cheaper and I find better coffee, a great chicken salad for 4.50 too.

If its not to go, best stick with the natural food company. I do like the natural foods almond croissant as an occasional treat though.

I think the plans include providing seating where the present car park is and a new carpark in the convent grounds. Hopefully such an area could be used by patrons of the two coffee shops and the pier head bar which would really give them a boost and breath lif to the village.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I didnt realize Dees closed. Theres a second cafe (Italian) right next door to where the pizzeria was called Pronto. So far as I know they do plan to re-open but anyhow if you want lunch or a coffee to go I much prefer it to the natural food company. Americano is €2 and loyalty card gives you a free one after 5. Its cheaper and I find better coffee, a great chicken salad for 4.50 too.

If its not to go, best stick with the natural food company. I do like the natural foods almond croissant as an occasional treat though.

I think the plans include providing seating where the present car park is and a new carpark in the convent grounds. Hopefully such an area could be used by patrons of the two coffee shops and the pier head bar which would really give them a boost and breath lif to the village.
    I do know about Pronto - we buy ice-cream there regularly...but Pronto is a takeaway coffee-unless you sit on the wall in the car park. It's the real deal with coffee- but there isn't a seating area-it's a pick up and go.

I know there are plans, but I do feel that plans are all they are!

I think Dee's Delights has moved to Galway - hope she does really well there. She's another plus for Galway, for sure.

It's a shame that it remains so desolate as a village. It was such a pity the pizzeria was destroyed- I'm not sure if they have plans to reopen?

With the population around and the attraction of the river and walkway, you would think that there would be something in place to make the most of the amenity.

I have it from a good local source that the pizzeria will not be re-opening. They were only renting the premises. It is a pity, it was a lovely addition to the village.

As regards, making the "most of the amenity" I agree with you 100% but it simply has not happened for Blackrock/village.

The market every 2nd Sunday is doing a great trade but there is no parking for that type of an event and the place is bedlam. People parking on footpaths, cars blocking the road, it's all the gaff. Some people give me the impression that they think we're operating a one way traffic system in Blackrock village the way they carry on. Of course in the original plans for the village there were to have parking facilities in place for events such as that.

Do you know that when they developed Eden during the Celtic Tiger they had the green in front of the old Ursuline school as a green area park in the "plans". They were very happy to sell the apartments for crazy money but never developed the green. The Green as it stands is a complete mess, full of weeds, mud and even mounds of dirt on the side or it. If you look at the general area it's totally unsuitable for kids to play in and it's sitting there in a complete mess. The councilor's came up with some bull about the ownership rights to the field being as issue but then they told me it was all sorted. That was a year ago. Now if you ask, it's all about "funding". It's a book of excuses. I can't wait to hear what story time the TD's are going to be in the next few Month's. I'd say it'll be the "we'll need to concentrate on National issues and this is a little local issue". There's gas men we have as TD's in South central. I literally haven't even laid eyes on any of them in Blackrock since the last election.

Small few corrections here lads. The market is every Sunday, not every second Sunday.

The scout hall WAS demolished.

I've seen a good bit of councillor Kieran McCarthy , he does frequent walking tours of blackrock.

Dee's was a nice spot, but she was way off the beaten tracking up the other side of the church, and didn't get the passing trade.

The development of the area seems to be tied to the development of pairc ui caoimhe. As far as I remember from the city development plan , the idea was that fitzgerald park would be the major park to the west, and blackrock & marina to the east. I can't see why they can't do both the pairc and the village at the same time, but then I'm not the PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

pwurple wrote: »
    Small few corrections here lads. The market is every Sunday, not every second Sunday.

The scout hall is still there, it's the manky public toilets that were demolished.....

Just passed there....it's very much intact!
    Such a beautiful morning in Blackrock, it should be buzzing with people

• Advertisement

I've seen a good bit of councillor Kieran McCarthy , he does frequent walking tours of blackrock.

Fair enough, if he has any news for us on the development in the village you might let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

clerk wrote: »
    Fair enough, if he has any news for us on the development in the village you might let us know.

Des Cahill was the one pictured with the shovel when the toilets were demolished pre last years local elections
    Deirdre Clune & Laura McGonigle were both tweeting about this back in 2010 and still nothing has happened.
    The village renewal is separate to pairc ui chaoimh/marina park development.
    The scout hall hasn't been demolished.
    Blackrock Rowers have a planning application to construct storage alongside the scout hall.

Anyone know what's going on behind Cork Boat Club. Lots of clearance work happening along shoreline?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Why do people get it so wrong like the scout hall been demolished?

dewdrop wrote: »
    Why do people get it so wrong like the scout hall been demolished?

Because some manky yoke was demolished, which I thought was the hall?

Jeez louise. Did it need 6 people jumping down my throat?

clerk wrote: »
    I have it from a good local source that the pizzeria will not be re-opening. They were only renting the premises. It is a pity, it was a lovely addition to the village.

So far as im aware they do want to re-open and have a good bit left on lease but waiting for the premises to be fixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I thought the scout hall was involved in some sort of dispute? Something about either nobody knows who owns the plot of land it stands on or else there's competing claims to ownership of said plot of land.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    So far as im aware they do want to re-open and have a good bit left on lease but waiting for the premises to be fixed up?

First I heard of it. Like I said I heard they weren't re-opening. Sure the fire was ages ago and it's only a small building. How long would it take to fix it up ? Surely it should be done by now if it was going to happen.

Anyway that one is a bit of a red herring. :) As the thred is about the development in Blackrock village as opposed to a private building.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I thought the scout hall was involved in some sort of dispute? Something about either nobody knows who owns the plot of land it stands on or else there's competing claims to ownership of said plot of land.

Yeah the dispute is between the newly formed rowing club and the scouts. Originally the hall belonged to the rowing club but when the club stopped, the scouts were given permission to use. Now the new rowing club are trying to claim rights. But I think they have come to some solution shared accommodation or something like that.

They really need to something with old Brosnan's shop now Stanley stickers or something. Its collapsing in on it self, looks awful.

Not able to post links so you just need to copy paste following to see how long this has been promised twitter.com/MarinaParkCork/status/601112847054196736

• Advertisement

Anyway one of our sitting TD's actually turned up in Blackrock the other Day and called to my gaff. I heard the wife taking to someone about the bedlam that Blackrock village has become for traffic and the non-development of the long promised park so I tore out to the door and there before me was a sitting TD !!

I spoke to him and added to the points made (and he agreed with me - naturally) and said he would speak to the council. He stayed for about 2/3 minutes. Very pleasant fellow, voted for him in the last election.

Got a priceless generic letter off him about 1 week later, signed and all !! (I have it framed in the sitting room ) saying he'd spoken to the Council on my issue ( he didn't mention what my issue was so that should cover him ) when I see him again in 5 Years time. Oh what a Country we live in boy.

Simon Coveney's department shot down funding for the Blackrock Village renewal

6.7 FUNDING SITUATION FOR BLACKROCK PIER PROJECT
    In response to the following question submitted by Comhairleoir K. McCarthy, a written
    reply was circulated as outlined below:-
    To ask the CE for an update on the funding situation for Blackrock Pier Project?
    The construction tender process for the Blackrock Renewal Project is complete and the
    preferred Contractor has been selected. The value of the winning tender exceeds the
    available internal budget assigned. Consequently additional funding is required to deliver
    the scheme. Funding applications have and are being made to a number of agencies so as
    to be able to commence work at an early date. An application for part funding was made to
    the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine but this was not successful. An
    application for part funding was also made to the National Transport Authority. This is
    being considered at present and a decision is expected within the coming month.
    Gerry O’Beirne,
    Director of Services,
    Roads & Transportation.

Go to: corkcity.ie/services/corporateandexternalaffairs/agendaandminutesofmeetingsofcorkcitycouncil/minutesofmeetingsofcorkcitycouncil/271015%20Council%20Meeting%20Minutes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

It's just a joke at this stage.

There will be loads of promises before election time, and then all forgotten again.

How come they were able to give commencement dates before, and now they say they don't have enough funding?

Simon Coveney's department shot down funding for the Blackrock Village renewal

Em, why would the dept for agriculture and the marine be funding it?

Or the RTA for that matter, I can see that one also being shot down. Should it not be Arts, culture and heritage?

How much are they short I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

Em, why would the dept for agriculture and the marine be funding it.

How much are they short I wonder.

Because it would improve the waterway infrastructure and allow Blackrock to be accessed by water taxis etc, if/when they are introduced.

I think the shortfall was something in the lines of €1.5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Because some manky yoke was demolished, which I thought was the hall?

Jeez louise. Did it need 6 people jumping down my throat?

I have to say you gave me a hell of a shock anyway. I'm originally from Blackrock and attended that scout hall for a few glorious years when the 51st were the envy of every troop in Cork.:P
    T'was a joy to see Brossies shop getting a mention on this thread, I'm quite nostalgic about the Village, when I was growing up you had Paddy Thornhill's chipper (also known as Wiggy's by locals) where the coffee shop is now, Thornhill's never had a sign to say it was anything. Brossies shop was on the other side of the Village and tessies was around the corner at the beginning of Convent road, the Hayg video club was a local institution on the site of the Italian café and Betsy's hairdresser was next door.
    And of course there was the Modern Art:confused: over by the slip next to the river.
    Sorry for boring ye, the shock I got when I thought the scout hall was gone has gotten me all nostalgic.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭SeanSouth

ah yes "Brossies shop" and "Miss Bross". Miss Bross wasn't much into the customer service end of things and would kill you stone dead with one of her stares.

Wiggies chipper was the best but Wiggie was hardly ever there himself. Frances ran the place and she was a goddess.

Apparently the deeds are lost for the scout hall and as someone else said, things got a bit tense between the rowers and the scouts.

From the Evening Echo, 03/03/16

BLACKROCK HARBOUR REDEVELOPMENT WILL COMMENCE NEXT WEEK

Work will finally begin on the long-mooted €1.3 million renewal of Blackrock village harbour next week.
    Cork City Council officials confirmed that contractors will begin work on the project on March 7th.
    Under the plans, the harbour will become a large, open, paved plaza with priority for pedestrians and cyclists. The project requires the widening and repaving of roads.

The curved harbour wall will be reconstructed into a series of steps from plaza level down to the water. New street lamps, trees and benches facing the water will also be installed.
    The main road in front of the Natural Foods Bakery and the scout hall will be removed, with this land forming part of the plaza.
    It has previously been delayed due to funding issues, with the initial winning tender costing more than the allowed budget. These have now been resolved.
    Contractors Ward & Burke will oversee the works, which will be completed in two phases.
    Phase one, which begins on March 7th, will include the widening and repaving of Convent Road and Blackrock Road, as well as diverting the road from the marina to the city side of the cafe, and creating the outline of the plaza.
    This accounts for approximately 60% of the overall plan, with additional work, including the paving of the plaza and lowering of the harbour, coming at a later date.
    The €1.3 million project has been funded by Cork City Council.
    An additional €800,000 to €900,000 is required to complete the second phase of work, with council officials confirming that they hope to secure this before the completion of initial works in order to complete the project in one go.
    Council representatives met with local businesses and stakeholders earlier this week to outline the specifics of the plan.
    John Stapleton, senior engineer with Cork City Council, said the meeting was a positive one.
    “We are delighted to finally be getting the project off the ground. While there will be some disruption, we will try to keep this to a minimum and we will maintain access to all of the buildings. We had a very good meeting with the locals who are happy that we are finally in a position to get this started.”

Was talking to a local business owner today and he confirmed that they had talks with senior engineers from Cork CC and that it was supposed to be going ahead at the start of April.

Mind you...

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/strategicplanningeconomicdevelopment/localplanning/nonstatutoryplansanddevelopmentbriefs/blackrockvillageareaactionplan/

• Advertisement

Some metal fencing erected this morning from the hall towards the water think that all though but great to see something starting anyhow.

Advertisement