Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village proposed Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

With ya now , maybe the pier head might use the extra footpath for outdoor seating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

I think that is their plan.
    The wider path will be the width of their premises

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pmc1

Is there any confirmation if the second phase with the plaza down to the harbour is going to go ahead. It would be a real shame not to at this stage. The new car park is badly needed to, so hopefully that at least gets completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

pmc1 wrote: »
    Is there any confirmation if the second phase with the plaza down to the harbour is going to go ahead. It would be a real shame not to at this stage. The new car park is badly needed to, so hopefully that at least gets completed!

As far as l know there is not confirmation of funding at this point in time for the 2nd phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

I find it amazing the amount of people who ignore the one way signs and then get seriously pi*sed off when they have to reverse back. I mean what are they expecting? Fair enough if they think they are better than everyone else not to stick to it, but at least take it when you've been found out and have to crawl back into your shell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I find it amazing the amount of people who ignore the one way signs and then get seriously pi*sed off when they have to reverse back. I mean what are they expecting? Fair enough if they think they are better than everyone else not to stick to it, but at least take it when you've been found out and have to crawl back into your shell.

What are you at I wonder? Expecting people to crawl back into their shells is a funny phrase I must say.

My house is one of those near the road closed signs, so I go past the signs to drive into my driveway rather than taking a 3k detour.

I've met two other drivers who think that leaning on the horn and waving wildly will somehow transport me over their heads (because they are usually blocking my drive), and that a roadsign trumps all. I wait it out until they travel on their merry way past me, and I can turn in. If you are intimidating the vast amounts of elderly people around blackrock, who will not stand their ground like I do, then I suggest you back off a little bit rather than stressing everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

Any plans to reinstate the public toilet down there? Badly needed for those going for a walk or having a coffee.

A superloo would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

pwurple wrote: »

What are you at I wonder? Expecting people to crawl back into their shells is a funny phrase I must say.

My house is one of those near the road closed signs, so I go past the signs to drive into my driveway rather than taking a 3k detour.

I've met two other drivers who think that leaning on the horn and waving wildly will somehow transport me over their heads (because they are usually blocking my drive), and that a roadsign trumps all. I wait it out until they travel on their merry way past me, and I can turn in. If you are intimidating the vast amounts of elderly people around blackrock, who will not stand their ground like I do, then I suggest you back off a little bit rather than stressing everyone off.
    I'm talking about the one way signs down by the cafe. I get people have to go past the other one(by the church) to get to the school and houses down there. Pretty sure I'm not intimidating anyone and you stand your ground by going the wrong way down a one way system? All I'm saying is I travel the right way as directed, and other people fail to follow pretty clear road signs. Also, a 3k detour? Just go right by the church before you head down the hill and do a loop. If that's 3k, I'll have set a new 3k running record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

As a resident you have every right to go past the signs as far as the one way section between Pier Head and entrance to the convent, but you don't have right of way so should wait until its safe for you to enter your driveway.

The development is very messy and very awkward for the local residents affected, no Q about it. All that can be said I suppose it that it will be lovely when it is it done, particularly if phase 2 goes ahead.

• Advertisement

When will be known if phase 2 is going ahead?

I'm talking about the one way signs down by the cafe. I get people have to go past the other one(by the church) to get to the school and houses down there. Pretty sure I'm not intimidating anyone and you stand your ground by going the wrong way down a one way system? All I'm saying is I travel the right way as directed, and other people fail to follow pretty clear road signs. Also, a 3k detour? Just go right by the church before you head down the hill and do a loop. If that's 3k, I'll have set a new 3k running record.

I'm talking about the sign before the church says 'road closed'. If you've gotten as far as the church to take that right turn, you're already passed the bit I'm talking about. The detour would be to go up church road (where the sign is) and around the back of mahon, over to castle road and back up past the church again.

The part by the cafe is fair enough. but please don't be getting aggressive with residents, there's no need.

xabi wrote: »
    As a resident you have every right to go past the signs as far as the one way section between Pier Head and entrance to the convent, but you don't have right of way so should wait until its safe for you to enter your driveway.

Oh absolutely, but the attitude out of some people who even see someone coming past that sign from a distance is that the world has ended and the gardai need to be called. Just drive on guys, it's all grand.

Barr wrote: »
    When will be known if phase 2 is going ahead?

I'm afraid that one will have to be filed in the 'how long is a piece of string' file.

You'd imagine it would happen, but at this point in time funding isn't signed off.

It would be lovely amenity for all the community if it was all developed properly but that doesn't really matter it seems.

If I hear any positive news l'll post, but I wouldn't go holding my breath. Expect another saga.

Was looking at the building works at the weekend and talking to a few locals. At the current pace of the building works (they don't work weekends for example) it's very hard to see how the work will be finished for another 5/6 weeks from now, some are saying more.

They are doing a lot of work under the road as well, laying pipes, for example they had Convent Avenue all dug up for about 50 yards at the weekend when I looked at it. They seem to be doing a lot of stuff whilst they have total access to the road.

The way it's going Christmas could come and go and it could still be ongoing.

Oh there's no way it will be done for Christmas. The bakery owners have been made aware anyway that it won't be done, because they were trying to organise the christmas market down there.

Was down there today....to say they are going at a snails pace would be an insult to snails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

clerk wrote: »
    Was down there today....to say they are going at a snails pace would be an insult to snails.

Word is circulating they don't have the funding to finish it.

I was down there last night, they're still working on phase #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Two-way traffic now back in effect all the way down through the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I was passing thru this morning and the one way system was still in place. But they were resurfacing convent avenue.

Public lighting poles are standing and footpaths are nearing completion (I had a very quick glance as I drove past). Another few weeks will see a big improvement (weather dependent of course. )

I came through at 1.30pm and they had pushed back the wire fences to the convent wall and al the one-way signs up towards the church were gone too.

Still a lot of cars going through the lane just after the Pier Head on the right to get to Mahon quicker than going down the castle road.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

There was talks/rumours that they were going to introduce a one way system as both Convent Ave and Factory lane (that's the lane just past the pier head) are too narrow for two way traffic. This maybe implemented once the works are completed in the village.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I came through at 1.30pm and they had pushed back the wire fences to the convent wall and al the one-way signs up towards the church were gone too.

Still a lot of cars going through the lane just after the Pier Head on the right to get to Mahon quicker than going down the castle road.

That lane is so narrow it is crazy the amount of traffic going through it.

People are constantly backing out onto castle road because of traffic coming the other way.

It should at least be made a one way road.

**Edit**

Ron you read my mind

There was talks/rumours that they were going to introduce a one way system as both Convent Ave and Factory lane (that's the lane just past the pier head) are too narrow for two way traffic. This maybe implemented once the works are completed in the village.

Been living in Blackrock all my life and yes absolutely 'Factory Lane' is basically a 1 way road in terms of access (with caution required), but to be honest before Convent Road was blocked I'd only use it the odd time and never had an issue, it's like a Country boreen. You take it nice and handy going down there and have a look before driving into it to see if there is any oncoming traffic. Given a choice you'd never use it, in general there is very little traffic on it. I'd really only use, if there was a bus caught up on and/or the intermittent road warriors blocking the whole place up on Convent Road.

Convent Avenue is a bit more complex, obviously there are houses there so it would make access kind of awkward for them if they made it 1 way.

I can kind of see the logic of either or both 1 way but to be honest once Convent Road opens up it's a non-issue. You'd never go down to Blackrock village via Convent Avenue unless you lived there, it would make no sense, it's a desperately blind turn at the bottom to get onto Convent Road.

Having said all that God only knows what the genuises in Government buildings will come up with.

Ya, its a right pain in the arse, if I'm not going the Skehard Road home, I'll usually just go down to towards the castle.

It would make more sense to have those roads one-way, its only due to the works going on that both roads got seriously busy, now convent avenue has been shut off for the last few weeks everyone else is using the lane.

Barr wrote: »
    That lane is so narrow it is crazy the amount of traffic going through it.

People are constantly backing out onto castle road because of traffic coming the other way.

At the moment, yes it is crazy. But when Convent Road reopens it will go back to normal, which is very little traffic.

It is a completely blind turn at the end of it on Castle Road, I saw a fellow walking up past there about 3 weeks ago (Castle Road is popular for a walk) and a car came flying out of Factory Lane and missed a pedestrian by literally less than 1 metre. There is no way he could have looked out to Castle Road at the speed he came, a car coming from Blackrock Castle could easily have smashed into him. The pedestrian was going absolutely mental giving out and I looked at yerman in the car and he was completely oblivious to it all, in fact he on holding a mobile and having a chat with one hand on the steering wheel, an absolute nut case.

clerk wrote: »
    At the moment, yes it is crazy. But when Convent Road reopens it will go back to normal, which is very little traffic.

It is a completely blind turn at the end of it on Castle Road, I saw a fellow walking up past there about 3 weeks ago (Castle Road is popular for a walk) and a car came flying out of Factory Lane and missed a pedestrian by literally less than 1 metre. There is no way he could have looked out to Castle Road at the speed he came, a car coming from Blackrock Castle could easily have smashed into him. The pedestrian was going absolutely mental giving out and I looked at yerman in the car and he was completely oblivious to it all, in fact he on holding a mobile and having a chat with one hand on the steering wheel, an absolute nut case.

Ya, anytime I've drove down onto the Castle Road from the lane, I've edged out very slowly, you can't see anything coming from either side, people or cars.

Only thing you can do is out down both windows, edge out and if you hear a car wait until their gone.

Wont be much of an issue though once its all done as rarely is the lane used by cars any other time really.

Anyone know if the bus is back on there? The minibus didn't work for us (buggy etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Anyone know if the bus is back on there? The minibus didn't work for us (buggy etc).

Just saw the minibus at Marian park anyway so still running for now.

Advertisement