Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village proposed Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone know if the bus is back on there? The minibus didn't work for us (buggy etc).

l'd imagine (don't know for a fact at this time) that the bus route will be only be operational to the village when Convent road is open, so it will be another while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The bus route is so confusing. Mini buses at random times. I got one, and was then waiting twenty minutes on beaumont drive. After wating ten for the mini, so what's going on? And What is the 202A about? Honestly, you wouldn't want to be relying on it for work, that's for sure.

I've asked the drivers and emailed queries off to bus eireann... drivers have all given various conflicting answers and bus eireann doesn't answer at all.

The bus route is so confusing. Mini buses at random times. I got one, and was then waiting twenty minutes on beaumont drive. After wating ten for the mini, so what's going on? And What is the 202A about? Honestly, you wouldn't want to be relying on it for work, that's for sure.

I've asked the drivers and emailed queries off to bus eireann... drivers have all given various conflicting answers and bus eireann doesn't answer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Completely agree pwurple. have gor as far as Beaumont - then it's like the 'Magical Mystery Tour' - I don't know if I will end up at St. Lukes or near the graveyard.......... The drivers seem as confused as I am.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

On a side note does anyone know how " Factory Lane " got its name?

Just wondering if there is a bit of history behind it.

• Advertisement

Passing through at the weekend a few times. The road on Convent Avenue is filled in. The footpath on the Pier Head pub side is substantially down, not sure if they're going to put a new footpath on that side, past the turn for Convent Avenue. There's going to be parking on that side of the road, i.e. presumably parking that doesn't make the road a 1 way road in effect, so hopefully an improvement.

As we know it's open 2 way in the village again (albeit Convent rd still no go) and they've done a nice bit of work on the footpath on the Ursulines side of that part of the road.

Talking to a few people in the area they are more hopeful now (but not fully confident), than they were 2 weeks ago say, that the road will be open before the Christmas holidays.

That is to say at a minimum the consensus is that it will blocked for another 5 weeks at least.

One word of caution there is an unmerciful lump of tarmac (near the Pier Head pub) as you start onto the cobblestones. Watching at the weekend and there some cars getting almighty hops off it, slow down everybody, tarmac lumps/cobblestones and motor vehicles are not a good combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

clerk wrote: »
    One word of caution there is an unmerciful lump of tarmac (near the Pier Head pub) as you start onto the cobblestones. Watching at the weekend and there some cars getting almighty hops off it, slow down everybody, tarmac lumps/cobblestones and motor vehicles are not a good combination.

Ya, I've avoided going up it so far at a any great speed as my car has splitter fitted so I've went up and down it at a crawling pace.

Theres visible marks in the tarmac where cars have caught it already too.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Tram tracks are deadly for cyclists be careful.

The worst of the works are completed. From now on it's all finishing works (tarmacadam, paving etc.) from what I saw when driving thru the village last weekend.

Civils projects are really deceiving to people as they can't see any real progress being made. But a lot of work has been carried out and when you dig in areas as old as Blackrock Village you're not quite sure how good/bad the existing services are going to be in.

Anyway 4 weeks will see a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

Convent Road set them back a long way as they found the 10,000 Volt ESB cables were not buried deep enough.
    They are currently removing all the old lamp posts up convent road and replacing with nice new slim ones.
    ESB sservices to building will be routed underground also.

Convent Road is due to reopen in 2 weeks time.

• Advertisement

Walked down there tonight. They're working on the footpaths on the side where the houses are, past Convent Avenue up Convent Rd towards the entrance to the nuns place.

Some people saying they're supposed to finish Convent Road this week as Castle road is due to close next week and that they can't have the 2 roads closed at the same time. We live in hope.

Was driving over the cobblestone section, you'd really want to take that section very handy in the car, it's fair rough on the car.

Walked down there tonight. They're working on the footpaths on the side where the houses are, past Convent Avenue up Convent Rd towards the entrance to the nuns place.

Some people saying they're supposed to finish Convent Road this week as Castle road is due to close next week and that they can't have the 2 roads closed at the same time. We live in hope.

Was driving over the cobblestone section, you'd really want to take that section very handy in the car, it's fair rough on the car.

Theres feck all traction in the wet on the cobblestones, not that you can build up any speed but once it starts getting colder in the coming weeks they could be a nightmare for bicycles and lotorbikes, might even catch out the odd car and of course pedestrian.

Castle road is blocked at the moment at the start of the village, cars having to go back towards the castle or down the lane, there was a big delay as cars were doing U turns when they couldnt get into the village or down the lane a few minutes ago.

The convent road is however open and theyre using a stop go system just around the corner from Eden as works continues.

Went down Convent rd last night coming home from work and even though the road is open, at the start and finish (due to ongoing works) it's really 1 way at the moment, which is a bit manic.

Because of this it will get grid locked very quickly.

It was bedlam heading down towards Convent rd this morning from Blackrock, cars were doing U-turns and coming back up away from it.

It's definitely not business as usual quiet yet.

They should really put a stop/go in place for peak times.

Ya, there was a stop/go yesterday at lunch time.

It was just 2 guys with signs and a radio, so unless the builders are setup and working the system wont be in place.

I passed through about 7pm last night and it was grand but there was no on coming traffic from Blackrock, I can only imagine before 9am this morning the place must have been mental.

I've still no idea of the route, but the bus seems to be partly back?

I've still no idea of the route, but the bus seems to be partly back?

As far as I know the bus route is back to normal, definitely seen buses going down Convent rd.

Ya, I passed a 202 as I was coming down the Village earlier, usual squeeze at the stop by the church.

Drove home to the parents house this lunch time to see that Covent Road opened but with Castle Road closed (had to take the diversion). But noticed a serious ramp from the cobble stones onto the tarmacadam outside the Pier Head pub, albeit this will be reduced once the final wearing course is applied. The ramp to the cobble stones is one to be taken at a snails pace, serious incline which will no doubt catch someone out. Wonder are the buses finding this ramp an issue?

Once the enabling works at the bottom of Castle Road are completed we should see the final wearing course applied hopefully before Xmas.

Walked there last night - the footpath opposite the Pier Head is really wide (almost as wide as the road!) The driver of the 202 really struggled to manoeuvre the bus around the corner.
    I don't think that Castle Road is due to open until the 23rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

There is a playground penciled to go into the green area across from The Pier Head Inn, so I presume that might have influenced installing the larger footpath between it and the road.

Yogi81 wrote: »
    There is a playground penciled to go into the green area across from The Pier Head Inn, so I presume that might have influenced installing the larger footpath between it and the road.

Ah ok.... but two cars can't get round that corner at the same time. I was in a car behind the 202 this morning and it had to basically do a three point turn to get round the corner! :eek:

Ah ok.... but two cars can't get round that corner at the same time. I was in a car behind the 202 this morning and it had to basically do a three point turn to get round the corner! :eek:

Ya, its a serious problem, with the road works going on by the Pier Head, cars on either side have to stop to let the other go through, you can at a push, get two cars pasing each other, but the car coming from Mahon has to be on the footpath and nearly clipping the bollard at the corner.

It genuinely look like they made the turn smaller so it was only going to be one way from Mahon into the Village and not up from the Village to Mahon, thats what I assumed when it was taking shape a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I don't know an awful lot about the area but I assume they are going to make that road one-way? It was always pretty tight but these developments seemed to have made things worse.

The plans that were on the Echo showed it as a two way road anyway, with arrows going up and down the road.

Its tighter half way up the Convent road when you get to the gates to the Convent, the footpath has been expanded and if theres any cars parked there, which there always is, you can get passed. Even the bus struggles to make it around there and forces cars back down towards the village when its making that turn.

One of the local councillors had on his FB page last night that the final €700k for the renewal of the pier and final works was granted.

Not sure if its old news or not though.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    One of the local councillors had on his FB page last night that the final €700k for the renewal of the pier and final works was granted.

Not sure if its old news or not though.

Hi, any chance you could extract what it said and post it here.

Hi, any chance you could extract what it said and post it here.

Here ya go :
    Delighted to get confirmation today from the Roads Director of Cork City Council that a total of €700k has been awarded to finish the Blackrock Village renewal scheme. This funding will ensure that works on pedestrianising the plaza area and the tiered steps down to the pier will be included in the current works. More details will be made available at roads meeting in January. This is very welcome news and the renewal scheme will be a fantastic asset to this beautiful & majestic location!

https://www.facebook.com/NicholasOKeeffeAreaRep/

That is what they are calling phase 2, the development of the Pier and the pedestrianising the area around the Pier. The signoff of the funding for this stage is "new" news and is positive news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I went down for a look yesterday. The amount of light available now that the convent wall is gone was a big big deal to me - I thought it was fantastic.

However, I, as a motorcyclist, am worried about the cobbling on the road now. It was very slippery in the rain yesterday so I crawled along on the motorbike praying to be upright by the time I got back to proper tarmac again. The tram lines, good as they look, might be a real pain for a cyclist and are very slippery when wet. A half-foot width of tarmac running the middle of the cobbles might have been enough to ensure a safer surface for those of us on two wheels.

Still, it looks like it will be nice when done.

Advertisement