Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village proposed Development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

(disclaimer) I'm a motorcyclist too.
    I really think the tram lines are fab. They are a part of our heritage, our history, and tarmacing over that kind of thing is up there with knocking a draughty old beautiful castle and plonking an efficient ventilated office block there instead.
    Have you been in Rome, Amsterdam or Paris? it's trams and cobbles all over the place. They manage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

I totally agree pwurple.
    It is great to see them doing a proper job and restoring the tramlines to the way they were and not a modified bodged job.
    Have gone down it many a time on a road bike and it is fine. Bikes nowadays are a lot more capable that the ones that were ridden on those cobbles for years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

pwurple wrote: »
    (disclaimer) I'm a motorcyclist too.
    I really think the tram lines are fab. They are a part of our heritage, our history, and tarmacing over that kind of thing is up there with knocking a draughty old beautiful castle and plonking an efficient ventilated office block there instead.
    Have you been in Rome, Amsterdam or Paris? it's trams and cobbles all over the place. They manage. :D

I have been to one of those three cities, and have ridden through plenty of French towns with cobbles and whatnot but we get far more rain to be fair.

As a historian, as per my studies anyway :p , I am all about heritage and history and I really wish those tramlines were still operational. I agree they should certainly be on show. No question about that at all. The surface still constitutes a bit of a danger though which could easily be sorted by running a one foot wide stretch of tarmac down the centre which motorcycles can use when safe to do so. Or cyclists for that matter.

Once again though, it's good looking and a positive development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

clerk wrote: »
    That is what they are calling phase 2, the development of the Pier and the pedestrianising the area around the Pier. The signoff of the funding for this stage is "new" news and is positive news.

It's actually the end of 'phase 1' - the pier, etc.
    The total cost of that phase is about €2m. €1.3m was in place and the city continued to work under the assumption that the final 700k would be granted, which it was in recent days.
    (wonder if it helps that the Lord Mayor is from the area? :p)

Phase 2 refers to the playground, park area on the former Ursulines, as is my understanding.

Phase 1 should finish by May/June next year, with phase 2 starting afterwards. All happening in behind the walls so it won't affect traffic but it'll probably drag on a bit 'cos there's no funding yet.

All taken from here...

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/extra-funds-secured-blackrock-works/2588458/

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Castle road was open this morning at the pier head inn, which makes it a bit easier on traffic in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Castle road was open this morning at the pier head inn, which makes it a bit easier on traffic in the area.

That new footpath on castle rd is too wide.
    Cars can't pass.

Fuppin disaster

Road works look to be done for the holidays, not a builder or digger in sight this morning.

They've paved the roads going down the convenant road so theres no more manholes sticking up about 5 inches and its a lot smoother and even down there this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Where the tram tracks are it looks like the builders had a few pints in them doing it. Seen the photos on Facebook. Also complaints over how rough it is to drive over,being cobblestone you would expect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

KC161 wrote: »
    Where the tram tracks are it looks like the builders had a few pints in them doing it. Seen the photos on Facebook. Also complaints over how rough it is to drive over,being cobblestone you would expect that.

Have you got a link to those facebook posts?

KC161 wrote: »
    Where the tram  tracks are it looks like the builders had a few pints in them doing it. Seen the photos on Facebook. Also complaints over how rough it is to drive over,being cobblestone you would expect that.
    People know that the tracks are the originals, and not recently laid, right?

• Advertisement

On the playground... there has been chatter about how it's not part of Phase two either. A couple of the community groups are thinking about starting fundraising for it, as the children of the area are currently playing on the grotto and over by the water instead, which isn't ideal with an open pier there. 
    I think that would be a good idea, fundraising is always easier when there is a visible plan and result at the end.

Right infront of the Bakery theres a large enough gap in the bollards to fit a car/van through and the amount of cars to go through it down to the Pier to park or continue down the Marina or out from the Pier onto the road is brilliant to see and by brilliant I mean frustrating as hell, I hope they either install another bollard once the works are done, as I'd assume its probably for the diggers and equipment to use instead of going down passed the bakery and around the long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

....as I'd assume its probably for the diggers and equipment to use instead of going down passed the bakery and around the long way.

l know what you're talking about, l'm imagine another bollard will go in, when works are complete.

Ya, having passed earlier today in the day light, theres a hole for another bollard to slot in to its place, crisis over. :o

Traffic lights going in earlier, just slightly passed the bakery to allow people cross the road and into where the park will be going.

I assumed that theyed make it a zebra crossing, but no, traffic lights being installed as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Traffic lights going in earlier, just slightly passed the bakery to allow people cross the road and into where the park will be going.

I assumed that theyed make it a zebra crossing, but no, traffic lights being installed as we speak.

There seem to be traffics lights on one side of the street only.....outside the bakery, but none on the path opposite :o

The wall down by the pier now.

Double yellow lines all the way down by the houses on Convent Road now.

Supposed to be working on the park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Is that phase 2 that is started ?

Barr wrote: »
    Is that phase 2 that is started ?

Yes, and phase 2 is quite short as far as I know... shouod be done in a few wks.

Great news , I didn't know it got the go-ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Was out for a jog in that neck of the woods this evening, my first time seeing where they've dug out the river bank.

4gsxoj.jpg

Was around there again yesterday evening, surprised to see them working away after six.

5u0777.jpg

Is there a playground going in somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I think the playground is on the other side of the road (across from the pub/Chinese)

Barr wrote: »
    Is there a playground going in somewhere ?
    Playground is phase three. No plans and it's not funded. There is a community group looking into separating that from the phase 3 plan (which may never get funding in our lifetimes).

pwurple wrote: »
    Playground is phase three. No plans and it's not funded. There is a community group looking into separating that from the phase 3 plan (which may never get funding in our lifetimes).

Hope they do , it would be a great addition.

Was out for a jog that direction last night, coming along nicely.

35izvig.jpg

The old railway line has fences across it for the works on the new access from Mahon Point but easy enough to get round (this time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Developing nicely

Down there today, they've most of the paving on the main plaza done and more importantly now opened up.

The barrier is moved back to 5 yards short of the pier itself.

Looks very well in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Did anybody hear that it will be officially opened tomorrow at 3.30pm?
    I can't confirm anything - a neighbour mentioned it was on the Echo.

Seems a little premature, if true......

Advertisement