Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Village proposed Development

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Yogi81

There is an official opening of it tomorrow at half 3, as the sitting Lord Mayor, Des Cahill, finishes office tomorrow.
    It will not be fully complete, but the main plaza will be open to the public, including the new seated area near the water.

There is probably another few weeks left in it finishing over near the grotto and snagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Passed through on lunch a few minutes ago and theyre hard at work preparing the area.

Looks very well in fairness, what was there before was never something I considered too bad but after seeing whats replaced it, its mad to think how long its taken to make the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Popped down for the opening, was a slightly more organised event than I expected considering the weather. Lord mayor and a few other councillors, simon coveney, and about 100 people from the area. Velvet curtain and a cutting of ribbon, and platters of food from the bakery.

Looks good anyway. :)

I'll be a miserable moaning mary because I was getting freaked out by kids teetering over the unobstructed water. Maybe if the playground ever gets built there will be a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Was down there yesterday, it's a lovely job.

It's only 90% finished but the ring around the pier is opened up.

It will be interesting to see what volume of a crowd will gather there on Munster final day for example, it could become a real focal point for meeting up on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

While looking very nice I think the boardwalk is a real danger for small children. Too steep a slope down to the water line to recover from a trip and the water can get very deep at high tide. I think it needs some kind of barrier at the edge.

Also needs to have a few more life buoys on around the side as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

It's nice.it is nice and it was crying out for something to be done.I really like the cobblestone on the road.
    but it's very grey.needs a bit of colour,the whole area does.
    It also looks like a big patio.but I do like it.can't wait to take the dog back down for a swim there.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭SkySter

SkySter wrote: »
    While looking very nice I think the boardwalk is a real danger for small children. Too steep a slope down to the water line to recover from a trip and the water can get very deep at high tide. I think it needs some kind of barrier at the edge.

Also needs to have a few more life buoys on around the side as well.

Learned today in the coffee shop that a child fell in last week. Thankfully they were pulled out in time. I've noticed they've installed a life buoy near the cork boat club side now. Still think it isn't enough though.

I have seen many parents happy to chat away with their friends letting their small kids play on the steps right down at the water. It is bound to happen when they are not even being watched.
    The new decked area is far safer than the rest of the pier and the entire waters edge of the Marina, as it is not a vertical drop, and it is easy to get back on land.

Was down there this morning and there is a section of the road dug up where all the cobblestones are (which took forever for them to put down) and they've just covered it over with tar. It looks horrendous, only in Ireland would this happen after a 1 Year build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

clerk wrote: »
    Was down there this morning and there is a section of the road dug up where all the cobblestones are (which took forever for them to put down) and they've just covered it over with tar. It looks horrendous, only in Ireland would this happen after a 1 Year build.
    I'm sure temporary tar fills happen everywhere. Hopefully they'll fix it before its signed off on.

• Advertisement

They actually repaired a section of the new cobbles that we're meeting the old original ones last night. The fall in the road was off, so they lifted some of the new cobbles packed underneath it and reset them at the correct level.
    The tar and steel is to protect the repair while it is curing and to allow the road to remain open.
    The cover will be lifted and the tar removed early next week

ok, so if the signed up members of the "TT" brigage could please make themselves to Blackrock village to assist with the "The fall in the road was off" we'll all be sorted next week at no cost to the tax payer.

clerk wrote: »
    ok, so if the signed up members of the "TT" brigage could please make themselves to Blackrock village to assist with the "The fall in the road was off" we'll all be sorted next week at no cost to the tax payer.

I'm pretty sure that it was a snag that was flagged by the council and had to be fixed at the contractors expense, not the council

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TT brigade?

Advertisement