Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK iPhone 5

• 10-09-2015 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi there,
    I have an iPhone 5 which will not accept Irish sims even though it has been unlocked by Vodafone UK and the person it belonged to there. It tells me the sim is not recognised. Is there anything I can do before I go to an unofficial shop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Deeno37 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have an iPhone 5 which will not accept Irish sims even though it has been unlocked by Vodafone UK and the person it belonged to there. It tells me the sim is not recognised. Is there anything I can do before I go to an unofficial shop?

Was it only recently unlocked?

Have you tried connecting to Itunes? if unlock properly you should on Itunes a message to say it's unlock when phone is connected. Some suggest to do a restore but I never had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deeno37

Yes I've done all of that with the former owners account and iTunes said its unlocked but for some reason it still won't recognise the sims I put in (both three and Vodafone irl). I've never had this problem with a UK iphone in Ireland. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Yes I've done all of that with the former owners account and iTunes said its unlocked but for some reason it still won't recognise the sims I put in (both three and Vodafone irl). I've never had this problem with a UK iphone in Ireland. Thanks for the reply.

I can only think that unlock wasn't done properly but strange in that case you got the message in Itunes that was unlock. Do you have access to another UK sim card to test.

If you are going to try the below make sure you do a full back-up on a laptop and/or Icloud. Try to install the ios again but setup as a new phone, if that works reinstall ios again and use the back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Deeno37

Yes it works perfect with UK sim just says it can't recognise the Irish sim & doesn't reg. just don't get it at all I've tried everything. If I get it jail broke is it true it goes back to last setting after a future software upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes it works perfect with UK sim just says it can't recognise the Irish sim & doesn't reg. just don't get it at all I've tried everything. If I get it jail broke is it true it goes back to last setting after a future software upgrade?

Jail breaking it will do absolutely nothing. Are you sure the sim you're trying to use is active?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Try another SIM. It's very likely that phone is still network locked.

The nationality of the SIM card is irrelevant. If it's network locked, it will only accept its home network's SIM.

This might be a mix up by the seller, or more likely fraud and they've sold you a network locked phone as sim free.

Are you trying it with a non-Vodafone UK sim btw? Like for example if you put an EE sim in does it work?

Country-locking an iPhone would be totally daft and possibly even illegal under EU free trade laws.

It would also be fairly pointless as many people unlock phones specifically so they can use local sims when on holiday or travelling abroad.

I would suspect fraud and threaten to do a charge back and see what happens.

The original seller needs to remove whatever locks the phone has, otherwise they've sold you a paper weight.

Get in touch with the auction site and also explain what's happened to your credit card company. You may be able to recoup your losses.

Advertisement