Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Extractor fan in ensuite

Options
  • 10-09-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

Lads: I'm in the process of upgrading an ensuite and replacing the extractor fan. The existing extractor fan has an isolator switch etc. so no new wiring required. I purchased an Intervent (SL2 5DT) NCF100T timed extractor fan two weeks ago. Wiried it in using the neutral and Switched Live (rather than permanent live) but no joy. So took it out and tested by plugging into a socket - still nada. Brought it back and got a replacement - and the same issue. I used the wheel toggle (for setting the timed interval) up and down in case that I misread the directional arrows - still nada.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong or have I been unlucky and gotten two dead units?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

wait4me wrote: »
    Lads: I'm in the process of upgrading an ensuite and replacing the extractor fan. The existing extractor fan has an isolator switch etc. so no new wiring required. I purchased an Intervent (SL2 5DT) NCF100T timed extractor fan two weeks ago. Wiried it in using the neutral and Switched Live (rather than permanent live) but no joy. So took it out and tested by plugging into a socket - still nada. Brought it back and got a replacement - and the same issue. I used the wheel toggle (for setting the timed interval) up and down in case that I misread the directional arrows - still nada.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong or have I been unlucky and gotten two dead units?

I think you will need to use both the switched live and the permanent live. The switched live will turn it on but it needs a permanent live both to allow the switched live to turn it on and to run the timer and keep it on when the isolator/light has been turned off.
    You can loop the switched live and the permanent together but you will lose the timer function if you do that as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks aido79:
    Just making sure that I understand you.
    I only have one (switched) live and neutral coming in to the unit - so am I in trouble? Will I just loop the live-in into both the switched and permanent live and forget about the timer function?

Thanks aido79:
    Just making sure that I understand you.
    I only have one (switched) live and neutral coming in to the unit - so am I in trouble? Will I just loop the live-in into both the switched and permanent live and forget about the timer function?

You can do that and it should work(without the timer function) or if it is possible to take a live from the light to the fan(if they are on the same circuit) then you will be able to use the timer function. Hope that helps.

Thanks - AFAIK the live from the light is switched. When I turn on the light, the fan used to come on before so I presume it is on the same line.

Maybe I will just get a non-timed fan?

• Advertisement

Thanks - AFAIK the live from the light is switched. When I turn on the light, the fan used to come on before so I presume it is on the same line.
    Maybe I will just get a non-timed fan?

If you can't get a permanent live to the fan then you will be better off with a non-timed fan as you won't be able to get the timed fan to work. Was the old fan timed or non-timed?

Non-timed - better go that way so. Thanks again

Advertisement