Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rennsteiglauf in Germany

Options
  • 10-09-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

Came across this via Tony's Trials on the Marathontalk podcast a few years back and was always in the back of mind to give it a lash as it's fairly close to where some friends live in Germany. Entered for next May now so thought I'd check to see if anyone has ever run it (unlikely I know).
    The Rennsteiglauf (full name GutsMuths-Rennsteiglauf) is a trail running event on the Rennsteig path in the Thuringian Forest.
    The longest course is an ultramarathon currently 72.7 km from Eisenach to Schmiedefeld and part of the European Ultramarathon Cup.

http://www.rennsteiglauf.de/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

opus wrote: »
    Came across this via Tony's Trials on the Marathontalk podcast a few years back and was always in the back of mind to give it a lash as it's fairly close to where some friends live in Germany. Entered for next May now so thought I'd check to see if anyone has ever run it (unlikely I know).

http://www.rennsteiglauf.de/

I'm probably missing it but is there an English language version of the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm probably missing it but is there an English language version of the website?

You can always try google translate:

https://translate.google.ie/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rennsteiglauf.de%2F&edit-text=&act=url

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Since I am German and my family is living close enough to it, I might just sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

There used to be an english language version I think but haven't been able to find it on the site. It's a tricky one to enter as no way would it take my Irish address so had to use an address in Germany instead. Hopefully I'll be able to get them to change it beforehand.
    SusanneKn wrote: »
    Since I am German and my family is living close enough to it, I might just sign up for it.

It looks good & any races I've done in Germany are well organised (as you might expect!). My friend's brother lives in Gotha so handy for getting to the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Just to close the loop on this one, did the run the weekend before last. Unfortunately came down with a dose of cold just before so spend the previous day lying on a sofa popping paracetamol tablets. Luckily felt a bit better on race day so armed with a pocketful of the pills made the start line.

Cause I wasn't feeling great & half expected to bonk at some stage, decided to run the whole thing by trying to keep my HR lowish so anytime it went over 140 started walking 'til it was back under 130 again. Think I was fairly successful going by this :)

vzhv6u.jpg

First time I've ever tried an ultra this way and it worked amazingly well, felt great coming to the finish & my last 4k were the fastest of the whole day (cause I stopped caring about HR). Finished the 72.7k route in 7:39:47 for #322 out of ~1800. Think I could improve on that time a bit so will probably give it a go again at some stage.

Nice friendly event, most of the action is on forest trails with a gradual climb in the first ~25k of around 700m, after that it was undulating following the ridge. Was nice to have the shade from the tree as the temp reached the mid twenties. Lots of choice at the food stations, as I wasn't too worried about time I tried everything - Vita Cola, Tea, water, watery porridge, apfelschorle, cake, n/a beer you name it!

There's also a marathon, half-marathon, nordic walking & walking events on at the same time so something for everyone there.

Advertisement