Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign cheque student account

Options
  • 10-09-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I have a student account with BOI, home branch is Athlone. I tried to lodge a foreign cheque, from Germany, into my account today in BOI in NUI Galway but the lady told me they could not lodge it as I have a student account.  She told me that I would have to lodge it in my branch, Athlone, and that if they did not accept it I would have to get a family member with a normal account to lodge it. Is this correct and why does having a student account prevent me from lodging the cheque?

Thanks,
    Lisa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

LisaElaine wrote: »
    Hi, I have a student account with BOI, home branch is Athlone. I tried to lodge a foreign cheque, from Germany, into my account today in BOI in NUI Galway but the lady told me they could not lodge it as I have a student account.  She told me that I would have to lodge it in my branch, Athlone, and that if they did not accept it I would have to get a family member with a normal account to lodge it. Is this correct and why does having a student account prevent me from lodging the cheque?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Hi LisaElaine, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

Sorry to hear you were informed that you were unable to lodge a cheque to your student account. We've double checked this with the branch for you, and it is possible to lodge foreign cheques to your 3rd Level account. Please be mindful that foreign cheques can take up to eight weeks to clear on your account, as they will need to checked with the foreign bank. 

You can call into your nearest branch, or NUIG branch to lodge a foreign cheque. It is not necessary to lodge a foreign cheque in your account holding branch. Apologies again for any inconvenience caused. 

*Just to add, the branch manager would like to clarify this with you directly and I have sent you a PM with contact details if you wish to contact her.

Please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LisaElaine

LisaElaine wrote: »

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Hi LisaElaine, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

Sorry to hear you were informed that you were unable to lodge a cheque to your student account. We've double checked this with the branch for you, and it is possible to lodge foreign cheques to your 3rd Level account. Please be mindful that foreign cheques can take up to eight weeks to clear on your account, as they will need to checked with the foreign bank. 

You can call into your nearest branch, or NUIG branch to lodge a foreign cheque. It is not necessary to lodge a foreign cheque in your account holding branch. Apologies again for any inconvenience caused. 

*Just to add, the branch manager would like to clarify this with you directly and I have sent you a PM with contact details if you wish to contact her.

Please let us know if we can help with any other query. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Hi Sarah, thank you very much for your prompt reply. It was my first time to lodge a foreign cheque so when I was informed I could not lodge it to my student account I was unsure of what the policy was and if I had to lodge it in my branch. Thank you for clarifying. Yes, I can understand that it would take some time to clear and was expecting it to take a few weeks.

Thanks,
    Lisa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi Lisa,

You're welcome, we're happy to help. Let us know if we can help with anything else.  

Thanks,
    Sarah

Advertisement