Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 visa extension (J1 to B2 Visa)

Options
  • 10-09-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a quick question that I would really appreciate help with. I am currently on a J1 1 year work and travel visa that is due to expire this month. At the moment I am in the process of applying for a 6 month extension through the B2 visa. As part of the application process I need to show that I have enough funds to support myself here in the US for 6 months. I have been talking to an immigration lawyer about this but they are unable to tell me an exact figure that would be acceptable to prove that I have enough funds. I am wondering has anyone else been through this process before and how much funds did they need to show in order to prove this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There is no exact figure, the agent has discretion.
    A lot will depend on where you are (Hawaii is more expensive than Iowa...), and whether you have accomodation, say via a friend. If you can show $2000/ month you plan on staying, that would be a comfortable amount.

Keep in mind it is very unusual for Americans to travel/ vacation for this long; you will likely get some pointed questions as to why you want to stay this long and not, say, go home and come back on the Visa Waiver for a few weeks later, and what can assure them that you will go home after the 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would aim for 2k a month at a minimum plus show signs that you actually intend to travel (some hotel reservations etc). Bear in mind, it doesn't have to be hard cash - access to it/means to pay back Credit card could also suffice.

The burden of proof will be entirely on you however - to prove that you aren't going to work under the table etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

silja wrote: »
    There is no exact figure, the agent has discretion.
    A lot will depend on where you are (Hawaii is more expensive than Iowa...), and whether you have accomodation, say via a friend. If you can show $2000/ month you plan on staying, that would be a comfortable amount.

Keep in mind it is very unusual for Americans to travel/ vacation for this long; you will likely get some pointed questions as to why you want to stay this long and not, say, go home and come back on the Visa Waiver for a few weeks later, and what can assure them that you will go home after the 6 months.

Thanks for the reply. That seems like a lot of money and there is probably no way I could come anywhere close to that amount. Do you think that if I showed them that I had around $4000 to $5000 in my account that I would be likely turned down for the visa?

Also what do you think would be accepted as a valid reason for wanting to stay for 6 months? I'm assuming travel might not go down so well?

Thanks again for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

croker1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. That seems like a lot of money and there is probably no way I could come anywhere close to that amount. Do you think that if I showed them that I had around $4000 to $5000 in my account that I would be likely turned down for the visa?

Also what do you think would be accepted as a valid reason for wanting to stay for 6 months? I'm assuming travel might not go down so well?

Thanks again for the reply

There aren't really good or bad reasons. There are reasons and it's up to the visa people if they believe you not, same as with the CBP when you try to enter.

As for amounts...again, it's arbitrary - but even if i was staying with friends 4 or 5 k in San Francisco would not be enough if I wanted to travel etc. I don't drink either which is expensive business here.

In short...you have to be prepared to be asked the following questions

1. Why didn't travel more in your time in the US
    2. Where are your plans for the next six months
    3. what do you have to go home to
    4. when is your flight home
    5. How many money do you have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Travel is a fine reason, but you will still be asked the question as to why you want to stay so long- why could you not travel enough during your J1, why are you not going home and coming back with the Visa Waiver to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The advice I have read is that it's only a good idea to apply for a B2 if you have very specific plans that require longer than the standard VWP length of time (examples I have read include things like hiking the Appalachian Trail in which case you would be required to submit a detailed itinerary) . Looking for a B2 without specific plans runs the risk of being rejected and if you are rejected then you can never use the VWP again and will need to apply for a visa to visit the US every time you want to go.

Advertisement