Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advance Pitstop Ballymount

• 10-09-2015 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm just happy to be alive and well and thought it'd be a good idea to warn the others.

Had my tyres changed in Advance Pitsopt in Ballymount (Dublin 12) in June before NCT. Then I went to my usual garage (Chelmsford Motors in Ranelagh) for a full service and the guy immediately spotted that one of the wheel nuts was not put back correctly and replaced it.

Today I noticed weird noise coming from the area of the other wheel. When I checked it after getting home one of the nuts there was missing (it just unscrewed itself) and the others I could turn with my fingers!

So if you value your life and health (and your car) STAY AWAY FROM ADVANCED PITSTOP IN BALLYMOUNT!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most places advise to check and tighten wheel nuts 50km after having wheel changed.

your garage didn't remove the wheels or check the wheel nuts doing a full service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

4 Months later the nuts came loose... I'm pretty sure they tell you to check them a week or so after you get the wheels put back on also. Along with that, if they where loose surely your usual garage should have spotted it during the service and sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Surely your usual garage, having spotted that the wheel nuts on one of the wheels were loose, should have checked the other wheels while they were at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bartojk wrote: »
    I'm just happy to be alive and well and thought it'd be a good idea to warn the others.

Had my tyres changed in Advance Pitsopt in Ballymount (Dublin 12) in June before NCT. Then I went to my usual garage (Chelmsford Motors in Ranelagh) for a full service and the guy immediately spotted that one of the wheel nuts was not put back correctly and replaced it.

Today I noticed weird noise coming from the area of the other wheel. When I checked it after getting home one of the nuts there was missing (it just unscrewed itself) and the others I could turn with my fingers!

So if you value your life and health (and your car) STAY AWAY FROM ADVANCED PITSTOP IN BALLYMOUNT!
    Want to be sure it was advances fault,,,jobs at risk,,,,,,up to each motorist to weekly/monthly check their wheels,brakes ,oil etc,,,common sense,,,glad nobody was hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Surely your usual garage, having spotted that the wheel nuts on one of the wheels were loose, should have checked the other wheels while they were at it?

That's nearly worse than them not being tightened fully in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

We should all do lots of stuff. I have NEVER checked my wheel nuts, I doubt anyone else has either, bar a minuscule minority. Should we check to see if the oil filter is on properly, or the spark plugs torqued correctly? These are things you trust will be done by professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

We should all do lots of stuff. I have NEVER checked my wheel nuts, I doubt anyone else has either, bar a minuscule minority. Should we check to see if the oil filter is on properly, or the spark plugs torqued correctly? These are things you trust will be done by professionals.

Absolutely. Wheelnuts correctly tightened shouldn't spontaneously unscrew.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Checking your wheelnuts are tightened is something anyone can do. It doesn't require any special tools or knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Checking your wheelnuts are tightened is something anyone can do. It doesn't require any special tools or knowledge.

All it takes is 2 min to check. As Bartojk said he is happy to be alive, so it is worth taking 2 min to check them every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

Not sure how to react to this. I got 4 new tyres fitted recently at a local fitters and after re-fitting the wheels, he went round and tightened up every wheel nut with very generous amounts of force on a 600mm breaker bar. I can see why they would do this given that the common pleb generally isn't going to check their wheels a week after the wheels were removed as they should, so liability etc.

On the other hand, what are my chances now, if I get a flat, of being able to undo the nuts using whatever budget lug wrench is included in the car's toolkit? Also, many types of OEM alloy lock nut can't handle that kind of torque and that's how they end up stripped.

FWIW, I've used Advance Pitstop Ballymount in the past and not had any such issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP's post above is his first in almost two and a half years (third overall) and is to rubbish a motor business, usual caution applies.

He hasn't bothered to come back to address the obvious question - how come Chelmsford Motors (who he chose to name so I will as well) didn't take off any of the wheels during the 'full service' and tighten the nuts when they replaced them?

Even if they didn't have a reason to take the wheels off, the OP says that the guy in Chelmsford Motors 'immediately spotted that one of the wheel nuts was not put back correctly and replaced it' - so why didn't he 'immediately' check all the other nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

pheelay wrote: »
    On the other hand, what are my chances now, if I get a flat, of being able to undo the nuts using whatever budget lug wrench is included in the car's toolkit? Also, many types of OEM alloy lock nut can't handle that kind of torque and that's how they end up stripped.
    As I posted on another thread recently, I bought a torque wrench as I'd just put some nice sparkly new alloys on the MX-5 and noticed the dire warnings in the fitting instructions against over-tightening them. Now, as it happens the garage that put them on had torqued them correctly, but even then it was very easy to tighten them more using just one of those Lidl extensible wheel wrenches, without putting undue force on them.

Advertisement