Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious Vehicle

Options
  • 10-09-2015 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Had a couple of guys go very slowly past the house, waving at me as I took their number. Reg: 98D <snip>, Opel Combo, 3 Door van. Anyone know anything about these two guys.

Never seen them before and I live on a cul de sac so they had no reason to be here.

Had stuff stolen recently.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Report them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SueA

pablo128 wrote: »
    Report them now.
    Is that just a general precaution or do you know something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

SueA wrote: »
    Is that just a general precaution or do you know something ?

No I don't know them, but they're out to rob whatever they can get, so don't give them the opportunity.

If they have nothing to hide they won't mind being stopped by police.

pablo128 wrote: »
    No I don't know them, but they're out to rob whatever they can get, so don't give them the opportunity.

If they have nothing to hide they won't mind being stopped by police.

Unfortunately it was yesterday that they came past, but I have notified the Garda.
    Was just checking reg plate on Motorcheck and it is 98D<snip>, Open combo, Red 3 door van.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Would probably be helpful if we knew what general area you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They could have been going slow trying to find a friends/colleagues/clients house, and waved out of friendliness as they seen you looking.

There is no one else on the road and the road is a dead end. If they were lost surely they would of taken the opportunity to ask?

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Would probably be helpful if we knew what general area you are in.
    I like to keep my location vague as I'm isolated. South Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hanna200

perhaps that's the reason why you are so concerned.

hanna200 wrote: »
    perhaps that's the reason why you are so concerned.

It's a legitimate reason if you take into consideration the fact the road is a dead end. And the fact that the area has been targeted recently by people stealing and dumping unwanted vehicles.

3 reasons to be on the road:

1 visiting me
    2 lost
    3 local farmer tending stock

These guys were none of these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Removed part of the number plate as it's personal information.

magnumlady wrote: »
    thats understandable thank you for the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

And yet you had no problem listing a strangers reg and insinuating they were criminals?

JohnBee wrote: »
    And yet you had no problem listing a strangers reg and insinuating they were criminals?

Read the post, it asks if anyone has any experience of these people. And yep no problem asking if anyone knows if they are criminals taking into consideration the circumstances.

Thanks to those people that live in the countryside and know what threats we are under with garda stations closed and thugs running amok. Hardly a day goes by without some report of someone seriously injured, robbed or even killed by criminals set on theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Your right to be concerned Gardaí just calling to your house is also a good deterrent if seen by the unwelcome visitors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

magnumlady wrote: »

?? Hardly!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Magic mushroom pickers? it is the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

?? Hardly!!!!

maybe because of the context with the insinuations on this thread but I agree reg numbers are hardly personal information.
    i live in dublin and thousands of people see my reg number everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

May not necessary be personal, but a number plate linked to a support of suspicious behavior on a public forum is hardly acceptable either. Would I be right or wrong.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    May not necessary be personal, but a number plate linked to a support of suspicious behavior on a public forum is hardly acceptable either. Would I be right or wrong.

Why isn't it? If there's any truth to it then people should know about it and if there isn't what harm?

Is there a vigilante group sharpening pitchforks or something?

• Advertisement

Read the post, it asks if anyone has any experience of these people. And yep no problem asking if anyone knows if they are criminals taking into consideration the circumstances.

So you would be happy if someone posted your details on boards.ie and insinuated that you were a criminal?

I think not.

Only one appropriate response and that is if you have a genuine concern you talk in confidence to your local garda.

The Garda got back to me and they will be patrolling the area.

Thanks for the advice to contact Garda, definitely worth doing.

So you would be happy if someone posted your details on boards.ie and insinuated that you were a criminal?

I think not.

Only one appropriate response and that is if you have a genuine concern you talk in confidence to your local garda.

No problem my reg is 01 MH 6565. No one was insinuated to be a criminal, the post states, suspicious vehicle.

Just had to take loads of back roads to get around a long tail back, got a bit lost and was down some quiet boreens, happy for any of the locals to check out my number with the Garda. I've nothing to hide.

LOL, thanks needed a bit of light relief, been very stressed as there have been a number of incidents on the lane and locally.

No problem my reg is 01 MH 6565. No one was insinuated to be a criminal, the post states, suspicious vehicle.

Just had to take loads of back roads to get around a long tail back, got a bit lost and was down some quiet boreens, happy for any of the locals to check out my number with the Garda. I've nothing to hide.

Glad it worked out, Gardai is best choice, not random posts on boards.

PS you clearly dont know what insinuate means. Listing the reg of a "suspicious" vehicle IS insinuating there is a criminal connection lol!

Glad it worked out, Gardai is best choice, not random posts on boards.

PS you clearly don't know what insinuate means. Listing the reg of a "suspicious" vehicle IS insinuating there is a criminal connection lol!

If I'd wanted to say that I thought the vehicle had occupants that were bent on criminal activity I would have said so. I'm not one to beat around the bush, suspicious merely means that they were not behaving in a normal manner. The garda agreed with me.

It's not a random post, it's a clearly titled thread and put in the correct forum, and if anything similar happens again I will be back as it's proved very productive. A bit like the Community Text Alert run by the communities and Garda, where suspicious activities can be spread around the community quickly by concerned citizens.

I don't have time to respond any further to this thread. Thanks for all contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I often go driving down roads just to see where they go. It's all interesting.

One day about 30 years ago, in Lancashire, England I drove down a cul de sac near a town called Burnley, and at the end of that cul-de-sac I noticed an old Double Decker bus parked outside a cottage. I am a bus driver and was curious, so I knocked on the door of the cottage. A man came out and said he bought it because he won a contract for a school bus run but he didn't have a driver for it yet.

I got the job to drive the bus and that man ended up owning 50+ buses and I became his transport manager and close friend.

True Story

I think not.

I don't need you to think for me thanks, and its a bit of a stretch to say that the op was insinuating that the occupants of the care were criminals.

Acting suspicious in someones mind does not a criminal make.

Acting suspicious in someones mind does not a criminal make.

If not criminal insinuations, what then, was she implying they were there suspiciously to install water meters lol?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Sergei Malatov

Had a couple of guys go very slowly past the house, waving at me as I took their number. Reg: 98D <snip>, Opel Combo, 3 Door van. Anyone know anything about these two guys.

Never seen them before and I live on a cul de sac so they had no reason to be here.

Had stuff stolen recently.

Thanks

I have seen that van outside an address on Connaughton Road several times. I have also seen the gardai searching said address for stolen property. Can also confirm I have had property stolen from said individuals.

Good start going to the gardai. Next step would be to install cameras outside your property.

Advertisement