Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altra running shoes

Options
  • 10-09-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if these are stocked anywhere in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

No they are not.

I've been looking for a distributor for the past 2 years. One thing to note that while nice and wide, they are a zero -2 mm drop which has been catching people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Any idea if hoka are stocked anywhere? I'm looking for a maximalist shoe with wide toe box, neutral and with 0-6mm drop. I had a stress fracture and need to protect my foot.

Don't have to look too far for Hoka, maybe Galway ;)

There is very few with a wide toe box in Hoka, Huaka is getting the most thumbs up from us wider footed people. Conquest I believe is slightly more voluminous as is Bondi. Not the widest range of style or sizes available yet, but hopefully that will broaden as the distribution settles down over the next year or two.

Looks like I'll have to buy online with the Altra then, need a roomy toe box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

There's a new lineup of Inov-8 coming soon if you're looking for wide toebox.
    Any idea when they'll be in the shops AKW ?

• Advertisement

Looking for a large stack height

There's a new lineup of Inov-8 coming soon if you're looking for wide toebox.
    Any idea when they'll be in the shops AKW ?
    Looking for a large stack height

Large stack height but minimal ramp? Take a look at the Saucony Triumph (8mm) with 30mm cushioning at the heel or Zealot (4mm) with 25mm at the heel. The Altra are the opposite with low, close to the ground feel (majority) I believe.

The inov8 are available but won't be stocked in any great depth. I have Race Ultra's and find them lovely and broad in the toebox. Not huge depth of cushioning though, typically of most Inov8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Haven't seen Altra stocked on-premise. Online is your best bet. I'm used the Altra Paradigm zero drops and like them a lot. Big toe box works well for me, and are a good rotation option with my Hoka One One Conquests.

See Altra v Hoka review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qActYwTwIMc

Any idea if hoka are stocked anywhere? I'm looking for a maximalist shoe with wide toe box, neutral and with 0-6mm drop. I had a stress fracture and need to protect my foot.

You can get HOKA ONE ONE here and there so to speak (e..g, Great Outdoors had them) however the supply chain in Ireland is very poor in terms of range and availability, though I believe a new HOKA ONE ONE rep is imminent. Whether that changes the Deckers-based supply chain or not, we'll see.

I don't know of stockists in Ireland though I am a big user (Conquest, Conquest 2, Mafate 3 and 4, Mafate Speed, Stinson ATR, Huaka) - all obtained in the U.S.

You can get them online though.

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll have to buy online with the Altra then, need a roomy toe box

The Altra Paradigm I use has an awesome toe box: https://www.altrarunning.com/men/paradigm

Note that if you have a stress fracture you want to check in with your Doc on whether maximalist shoes will make any difference to your recovery. I can't comment on that!

AKW wrote: »
    Don't have to look too far for Hoka, maybe Galway ;)

There is very few with a wide toe box in Hoka, Huaka is getting the most thumbs up from us wider footed people. Conquest I believe is slightly more voluminous as is Bondi. Not the widest range of style or sizes available yet, but hopefully that will broaden as the distribution settles down over the next year or two.

Huaka is prolly your best bet in that regard. However, the U.S. HOKA ONE ONE range is massive (so I am not 100% on all the options), and bear in mind other differences such as between EVA and RMAT versions. Review of Huaka and protection here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9oMCZmOtYI

Advertisement