Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Genetics

• 10-09-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Having some trouble in the genetics qs.

In the sweet pea plant the texture and colour of the testa (seed coat) are governed by two pairs of alleles, which are not linked. The allele for smooth (S) is dominant to the allele for wrinkled (s) and the allele for yellow (Y) is dominant to the allele for green (y).

(iv) If the allele for smooth were linked to the allele for green and the allele for wrinkled were linked to the allele for yellow, give the genotypes of the two gametes that parent SsYy would produce in the greatest numbers.

What I did was get the possible genotypes that can be made from SsYy but theyr all different so how would I know which ones the biggest no.

And this one

In guinea pigs the allele for black hair (B) is dominant to the allele for brown hair (b) and the allele for short hair (S) is dominant to the allele for long hair (s). The alleles governing hair colour are located on a different chromosome pair to those governing hair length.

(iv) Determine all the possible genotypes and phenotypes of the offspring of a cross between the following guinea pigs:
    Brown hair, heterozygous short hair X Heterozygous black hair, long hair

So what I got is brown hair which is recessive would be:
    bbSs x BbSs.
    Since it does not suggest anything for brown hair. Wether its recessive or homozygous. I could not get much of it.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Logic.

By saying that black hair is hetrozygous you should be able to infer the required info about brown... It would have to be homozygous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

While we don't mind people getting help from others with their homework every now and again, it seems all you ever do in this forum is post your homework questions. Try to contribute to the forum a bit more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement