Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Liverpool sat 5.30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Ha, the title of that vine calling Martial's goal a "tap-in"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

That_Guy wrote: »
    I hate this new trend of comparing current players to past players.

"Oh that goal was Henry-esque"

Martial scored it. Not Henry. Can people not just appreciate the player in front of them rather then comparing them to past players.

New trend??

That's the way it's been since I've been watching football. It's just a boring reference point for a commentator to use their knowledge of past players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

About Martin Tyler, anytime I see a wonder goal I'm more stunned into silence than shouting loudly. However, when I see a goal where the player has run at the defence and used their skill to score I'm more likely to scream out "What a goal". It's bizarre, Benteke's goal was top class, Martial's was great but for a different reason.

Martin Tyler is just doing the same thing he's always done, which lost it's effect years ago. Look at how much Sky replayed the Aguero goal, it's literally only something like that now where Tyler has any sort of effect, because the match today certainly wasn't anything to be shouting about in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pighead wrote: »

Touche my friend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That_Guy wrote: »
    He said the penalty for the second one was "debatable"... Shocking.
    He didn't actually say that, did he? It was a nailed on penalty, 100%. Even the player (Gomez, I think?) glanced over towards the referee straight away, with the appearance of a guilty man. It's not even up for debate. The free kick for the opening goal was soft though; Young did his usual "dying swan" routine. Face facts Brendan; Liverpool were sh1te today, and United weren't that much better than them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Showing a huge amount of bias to describe Martials goal as a tap in.

Bentekes was a great finish from a poor position. It was a technically brilliant finish, but the leadup to it was fairly hoofball.

Martials was a fantastic solo run, starting from a non threatening position out on the left, making fools out of 2-3 Liverpool defenders, and sticking it in the corner all by himself on his debut.

Both were great goals, but I don't think there is anything bizarre about a commentator getting a little more excited about at young player scoring a goal like something from Roy of the Rovers on his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

niallo27 wrote: »
    They all talk bollox in fairness. Your man was singing last night.

singing but not talking absolute BS like Rodgers.The man is such a spoofer.reminds me of David Brent.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Hopefully a Liverpool win to shut up the ***** in the United thread, the **** in the ****ford end, Sir whiskey nose, the fat head granny shagger, bastard schweinsteiger, Rat face Neville, ginger pubes Scholes, Louis Van Gak, Paddy the prick Crerand, Martin Tyler, and Remi Moses.

xE0zcLP.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I knew it would be an easy 3 points today for United. Next Sundays tie away to Southampton will be a tougher game against better opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just saw Martial's goal.

PMSL. An OK goal but a bit at odds with the reaction to it on here earlier.

Sand wrote: »
    Showing a huge amount of bias to describe Martials goal as a tap in.

Bentekes was a great finish from a poor position. It was a technically brilliant finish, but the leadup to it was fairly hoofball.

Martials was a fantastic solo run, starting from a non threatening position out on the left, making fools out of 2-3 Liverpool defenders, and sticking it in the corner all by himself on his debut.

Both were great goals, but I don't think there is anything bizarre about a commentator getting a little more excited about at young player scoring a goal like something from Roy of the Rovers on his debut.

I'm surprised there's a debate about the goals to be honest. Martial's goal was a very good goal with a bit of luck with the slight bounce off him into his path and a quality finish, but Benteke's goal was special and the better of the two definitely. He also ended up putting it past a much better goalkeeper.

• gosplan wrote: »
    Just saw Martial's goal.

https://twitter.com/brobread/status/642794112723386368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Very interesting stat: There was twice as many eyebrows on the pitch than there were people.

gosplan wrote: »
    Just saw Martial's goal.

OK?

Has the word been redefined lately? I didn't get the memo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Martial what a player he looks, pay Monaco whatever add ons they want

Two best fullbacks in the league, Mike Smalling signing of the season

The first half was like putting your liathroidi into a food processor but the second half was okay, Liverpool can have no complaints.To be honest they look good for 5th or 6th but I can't see them breaking top 4 until Brendan is gone and 1 or 2 top players brought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Martial what a player he looks, pay Monaco whatever add ons they want

Two best fullbacks in the league, Mike Smalling signing of the season

The first half was like putting your liathroidi into a food processor but the second half was okay, Liverpool can have no complaints.To be honest they look good for 5th or 6th but I can't see them breaking top 4 until Brendan is gone and 1 or 2 top players brought in

I don't know: you have to imagine Chelsea and Spurs will rise up the table, and Everton, Crystal Palace and Swansea are all looking good for a top 8 finish. It doesn't leave a lot of room for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

I knew it would be an easy 3 points today for United. Next Sundays tie away to Southampton will be a tougher game against better opposition.

As a Liverpool fan I have to agree, but shows how far Utd have fallen more so than how **** we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

xabi wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan I have to agree, but shows how far Utd have fallen more so than how **** we are.

Meh, Second will do for today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Last two goals were tasty.

Not a free and soft peno for 1st two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

efb wrote: »

What, both were stonewall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

efb wrote: »

Benteke goal was goal of the season so far. Well taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well that's changed my mind.

Stonewall to me is something completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Free was 100% a dive. Nice routine though, brilliant finish.
    Penalty was stonewall. Deserved win for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it was 100% not a dive, but go ahead and continue to believe that, good lad.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Young was definitely fouled for the free kick.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

He definitely took a fall but he was obstructed before thus the referee giving the free

He dramatised it but it was still a free kick whatever way you look at it

He was blocked and pulled back if you can't see that I don't know what you're doing watching football. Yes Young has a bad rep, but in this instance it was stonewall

it was 100% not a dive, but go ahead and continue to believe that, good lad.

No need to be so condescending.
    You're biased and that's understandable.
    Regardless of what either of us believe the ref bought it and that's all that matters.
    I'm pleased the best team won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Free kick was a free kick but Young is a disgrace of a player that has been there and done that multiple times, a horrible example of a professional for any kid to see. Was slightly obstructed and separated his feet as if clattrered. Alex Ferguson himself warned him about it and disciplined him. Nuff said.

That said, United were a team in complete control. Passing the ball well for the first 2 thirds. Lacking a striker understandably but in fairness they at least had a gameplan and tried to win the game. For the first 45mins, completely taught Liverpool a lesson in football.

Liverpool are just like last season, clueless. Very strange to watch as a fan. No aggression or tempo. Allowed themselves to be bullied for 45mins and in til the goal were awful. Very worrying. United well deserving of the win. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He was blocked and pulled back if you can't see that I don't know what you're doing watching football. Yes Young has a bad rep, but in this instance it was stonewall

He has that rep because he has earned it. And thats exactly what he did today.
    20 seconds in or so.

He was obstructed, grabbed and fouled. But he didnt stop and look to the ref...... he flung himself to the ground dramatically while wildly flailing his legs about.

Yes, he was fouled. But if you cant recognise a dive when you see it I dont know what you are doing watching football either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Diving is something that has permeated the game to it's core though. Sure if someone on a Sunday League team doesn't exaggerate when they are challenged in or near the box they are giving a talking-to by the managers and fellow team-mates. It's sad to see, and I'm not defending Young, but unless there is a massive clamp down by the Associations and Refs it's not going to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bad2dabone wrote: »
    No need to be so condescending.
    You're biased and that's understandable.
    Regardless of what either of us believe the ref bought it and that's all that matters.
    I'm pleased the best team won.

Young was fouled
    Herrera was fouled - soft penalty me hole

I can't understand how people are suggesting otherwise? Or is the argument re Young that he went down to easy after being fouled? He most definitely went down to easy but was fouled. So what?

What Young did after the foul is irrelevant, he could have done the hokey pokey but it was still a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Idioteque

LOL....Any pundits I heard said it would be hard to call based on form so far but that mufc might nick a win being at home and with Liverpools best player so far being suspended.

Both teams were poor and gave the ball away too much (Liverpool much more) or couldn't do a lot decent in final third. Well worked set piece from Utd, stupid peno to give away, 2 great pieces of magic from Benteke and Martial and outside of that Liverpool had two chances from open play...everything else...meh.

Knowing with the benefit of hindsight....must remember that one.

What Young did after the foul is irrelevant, he could have done the hokey pokey but it was still a foul

And that's what it's all about!!

Pun intended

Its extremely relevant. Diving is cheating. It says so in the rules. You dont excuse it just because it was a foul. Why are you saying its okay to dive because he was fouled? It's not okay under any circumstance. The attitude of, "It's okay for me to cheat because he cheated first!" is incredibly juvenile.

The game wont be able to tackle this problem while fans make excuses for their players. Which is what you are doing. Young flopped like a fish, like he always does. Like professionals up and down the league do. And then some misguided fans cheer for them. It's ridiculous.

You give the foul because it was a foul. What should happen next after the game is a panel looks at the footage and Ashley Young is warned by the FA over his conduct and then banned if he does it again.

A season of this sort of hardline approach would drastically reduce the faking that goes on, and lead to better games with better reffing. Refs will be able to tell if a player goes down that he was legit fouled because no player is going to risk a ban for it.....and with retrospective banning they will all get caught.

Managers and teammates will no longer be congratulating their players for cheating....they will be giving them a bollocking for getting banned and this changes the dynamic quite a lot. The diving is bad in the premier league, its even worse in spain. Games are stopped every 45 seconds because some player flings himself to the ground and the ref gives a free. The governing body wont do anything about it until people stop making excuses for it. Stop calling it "going down easy". Call a spade a spade. He dived.

Kirby wrote: »
    He has that rep because he has earned it. And thats exactly what he did today.
    20 seconds in or so.

He was obstructed, grabbed and fouled. But he didnt stop and look to the ref...... he flung himself to the ground dramatically while wildly flailing his legs about.

Yes, he was fouled. But if you cant recognise a dive when you see it I dont know what you are doing watching football either.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2015/09/12/bbc-match-of-the-day-week-05-full-show/#1

@ 19.00

He megged him and Clyne blocked him off. It's black and white, I wouldn't even classify that as a dive. Nothing dramatic about it.

• Advertisement

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2015/09/12/bbc-match-of-the-day-week-05-full-show/#1

@ 19.00

He megged him and Clyne blocked him off. It's black and white, I wouldn't even classify that as a dive. Nothing dramatic about it.

I agree it was a free, just for Clyne's hand blocking but it was certainly dramatic. He jumped with both his feet and both arms out.

I wouldn't even classify that as a dive. Nothing dramatic about it.

Well I guess thats the issue. Youve seen the replay and still think he wasnt diving....somehow. You cant fix a problem until you recognise it. And you dont think he dived.....so any further discussion is moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It was definitely a hilarious dive, but it was definitely a foul. So it doesn't reallt matter. Just Young adding to his reputation when he didn't need to.

Grayditch wrote: »
    It was definitely a hilarious dive, but it was definitely a foul. So it doesn't reallt matter. Just Young adding to his reputation when he didn't need to.

My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If it annoys Liverpool fans more, then yep, he dived.

We won because we're big, dirty cheaters. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't help break my bollocks laughing every time Ashley Young dives. His little face has this ridiculous look and he turns his body horizontal and arms out like some sort of bandy flying squirrel.

youngret_2198758b.jpg

Look at that. Is he all there, upstairs, like? He's pretty bad at it, for something he loves to do. Like the rest of his job, I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Grayditch wrote: »
    I can't help break my bollocks laughing every time Ashley Young dives. His little face has this ridiculous look and he turns his body horizontal and arms out like some sort of bandy flying squirrel.

youngret_2198758b.jpg

Look at that. Is he all there, upstairs, like? He's pretty bad at it, for something he loves to do. Like the rest of his job, I guess!

Everyone's a critic.

The man is an artist who has perfected the craft.

I love all this moaning about Young.Keep up the good work Ashley:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Alex Ferguson himself warned him about it and disciplined him. Nuff said.

I wouldn't believe it, knowing Ferguson he probably patted him on the back and said good lad. Him saying he disciplined him is just hot air blowing.

No complaints from me anyway, we were ****e bar a brief period at the end when it was all too late. When the pressure was off basically and were beat.

Kirby wrote: »
    Its extremely relevant. Diving is cheating. It says so in the rules.

Stop calling it "going down easy". Call a spade a spade. He dived.

Two points. The phrase "making a meal of it" or "went down easy " are used to differentiate between a blatant dive without any foul or contact. You know this quite well.

Also, if you want to call a spade a spade every time someone dives by the generalisation youve outlined , you'll be fücking sick of the word "spade". Most tackles and fouls are exaggerated.

You'll be like those annoying moany oul lads in the local at the bar saying football has "gone ta fück", "pussies game", "diving bastärds" etc.

He was fouled at the edge of the box and made sure he got his freekick. It's part of the game it seems now. Refs should be seeing these could but they let them slide sometimes. Like aggressively shielding the ball out of play in the corners of the pitch. Stick your bum and hand out there, hold him off. It's not a free cas you're in the corner of the pitch. Wtf!!! Why isn't that a freekick like it is everywhere else on the pitch? Or shirt pulling and pushing before a corner? Why are these ignored?

There's a difference between a dive and what Young did imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh yes, Liverpool never ever benefited from someone who overreacts to any touch. It's part of the game, every player does it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement