Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter?

Options
  • 10-09-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

im 19 years old, my college, work, home and gym are all within a 10 km radius, a bit too much for cycling and walking. was thinking of getting a scooter?? are they cheap to buy/run? what type of license do i need? whats the story with tax and insurance?? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

10km was too far to cycle?.. lol.

Yea they're cheap to run, no idea about the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

im 19 years old, my college, work, home and gym are all within a 10 km radius, a bit too much for cycling and walking. was thinking of getting a scooter?? are they cheap to buy/run? what type of license do i need? whats the story with tax and insurance?? thanks

I have an honda 125. It costs me 8 euro for 100 miles. I think tax is 60/70 euro per year. The Insurance depends on your profile. I think you need at least an A2 licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Here you go.

Given this, I would go for a A2 direct access or if you really don't feel like it, A1 direct access.

An A1 will allow yo to drive a 125cc scooter/bike (with restriction on power output and power/weight ratio) like the Honda MSX125.

I would love to get one of these. They look quite fun to drive.

Now with 10km radius, you can also look at an electric assisted bike. Not cheaper but do not need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I had a 125 for my first year of college, got about 270-300km for around €13-15. Tax was €66 I think and then my first years insurance was €970. A push bike is definitely a cheaper alternative and a healthier one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Plopli wrote: »
    Here you go.

Given this, I would go for a A2 direct access or if you really don't feel like it, A1 direct access.

An A1 will allow yo to drive a 125cc scooter/bike (with restriction on power output and power/weight ratio) like the Honda MSX125.....
    This man speaks the truth. Scooters are a waste of time and I'd go so far as to say downright dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭cargen

jimgoose wrote:
    This man speaks the truth. Scooters are a waste of time and I'd go so far as to say downright dangerous.

I don't agree.
    For short commuting are much better than big and heavy bikes.

cargen wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    For short commuting are much better than big and heavy bikes.

Disagree. A motorcycle with a proper transmission and more power than a wasp in a Coke-tin is much safer, more effective and enjoyable. And by no stretch of the imagination could most vaguely modern 125s be described as overly big and heavy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP asked for a scooter so let's stay on that for now and I promise to refrain from suggesting buying a car or a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David norton

prob be a low cc so an a1 license to be best? best place to model and place to buy? what happens if the scooter isnt insured?? thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Location?

If you ride uninsured you get a fine. Don't be that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Get an A2 license, you'll need to do your training on a regular bike anyway (I haven't heard of anyone doing IBT on a scooter, could be wrong). There's no reason to get A1 if you're old enough for A2.

Insurance - same thing as if you're in a car. You're not insured and you can be done for driving without insurance if caught.

prob be a low cc so an a1 license to be best? best place to model and place to buy? what happens if the scooter isnt insured?? thanks guys

You get an AM license category these days, for "Mopeds and Light quadricycles". The same rigmarole applies as for A1, A2 and A, namely theory test, learner permit, tax and insurance, IBT, wait six months, do test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David norton

thanks for all info lads! recommended models?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

recommended models?

This will be very dependent on what you decide in term of licence and if you ever plan to extend your use to more than your 10k radius.

I would not go lower than 125cc to have something a bit nippy and also be able to keep up with traffic on faster road.
    If you go for A1 and think you may want to use it to go a bit further, I would definitely look at 250cc one.

That said, I think I remember that someone took a Honda cub (50 or 90cc ?) from Anchorage(Alaska) to Ushuaia (Southmost Argentina) so anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jimgoose wrote: »
    You get an AM license category these days, for "Mopeds and Light quadricycles". The same rigmarole applies as for A1, A2 and A, namely theory test, learner permit, tax and insurance, IBT, wait six months, do test.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone get a moped licence, they are just asking for trouble as they can't exceed 45km/h so will be slower than bicycles and get the rider bullied into the gutter by car drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm still not convinced it's even possible to get one. Does anyone know an IBT instructor who'll do it on a scooter?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Just get an A2 licence and IBT.

Nothing stopping you getting a 125 and riding it after.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced it's even possible to get one. Does anyone know an IBT instructor who'll do it on a scooter?

I'm sure if you brought your own one they would have no problem. Waste of time and money though.

Advertisement