Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours Aggressive Cat

• 10-09-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

We got new neighbours last April and they brought with them their older male outdoor cat. No issues really, he wanders through garden regularly and paid us little attention

About 3 weeks ago he seemed to finally realise we have a cat, male bengal who is kept indoors. The cat next door has now started attacking the windows and screaming at out cat - this can happen up to 4 times per day and is getting worse.

I'm worried on 2 accounts, the first being that if our cat ever got out this cat is so aggressive. The second being what if he hurts himself attacking our house?

They obviously can't keep him in as he's never allowed in so what do we do? We have sprays but I'm unsure of how effective they are. I've just run him off this time with a splash of cold water for good measure.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Get a dog, the cat wont go into your garden then :D

Seriously though, the problem now is that your cat is never out so since April when the new cat moved in next door it has most likely been marking it's territory which has never been contested by your own cat so the neighbours cat very likely sees your cat as an 'outsider' infringing on it's territory which happens to be your garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ziycon wrote: »
    Get a dog, the cat wont go into your garden then :D

Seriously though, the problem now is that your cat is never out so since April when the new cat moved in next door it has most likely been marking it's territory which has never been contested by your own cat so the neighbours cat very likely sees your cat as an 'outsider' infringing on it's territory which happens to be your garden.

But he's seen our cat since they moved in April 2014, it's just now that it's become an issue

I wonder if it has to do with another neighbours cat who visits us, male also and very friendly. I've seen him marking his territory in the garden, maybe the psycho cat next door is confused!

I suppose I'll just have to run him off when he starts head butting the window. Have had cats all my life but have never seen aggression like this. We used to let our cat out supervised in the garden but can't even do that now

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

I have exactly the same problem. New neighbours have arrived and their cat - a young male - has become obsessed with our cat. He's a male as well but very docile. He's attacked almost daily. Breaks my heart. There simply must be a law requiring owners to exercise proper control over their animals. He's being attacked on my property as well. The people who own him aren't the types I'd be comfortable engaging with although if it continues I may have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Are all cats involved neutered? Would there be a female in heat nearby?

As a short term solution could you put flower boxes on the windows he's attacking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zapperzy wrote: »

As a short term solution could you put flower boxes on the windows he's attacking?

There's a species of Colea called 'scaredy cat' which cats apparently don't like the smell of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Possibly the other visiting cat is setting him off as cats can often react like this attacking other cats they are usually fine with in displaced anger.

Other reason could be a female in the area setting him off v any other males he sees.

neutering both visiting cats might help - it could reduce the visits to your garden of which ever one is further away if it's far and lesson the tension with the angry one. Also the angry one might chill out a bit anyhow because of neutering. Not a guaranteed solution as it can be more difficult to change behavior the older the cat is as some tend to be territorial anyhow.

Thanks to everyone on the responses. My windows are floor to ceiling so flower boxes won't work, I'm going to try that spray again.

I'll try to resolve it without talking to the neighbours just yet, have to resolve the repeated footballs in garden issue with them first.

I'll update once I have a resolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Zapperzy wrote: »

This is a good point its kitten season at the moment so the females can be leaving their scent anywhere and this other cat can smell her and might think your cat is a threat also as someone said maybe another cat is on the area he is claiming his territory.

I would check with the neighbors if he is neutered.
    Get a water spray too one that just does a quick light spritz and when he starts all that aggression spray him in the face it doesnt hurt but he will learn to associate your garden with the spray and should avoid it.

I have 7 cats myself and some strays in the area and all of mine are neutered but one still claims territory to my garden and the next one in saying that all run when they see the spray coming out so it does work as I would have to use it occasionally if the stray males are fighting.

I'm still working on running him each time, he is getting less aggressive.

Less aggressive my behind! So it's starred again. Spray worked for a while, throwing water worked but he's getting more aggressive.

He actually looks ill, seems to have some lump on his stomach, so wondering if this could be making him that aggressive.

My cat is getting annoyed over this, as is my husband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Can you use window film on your windows? You get tinted windows but the cat can't see in.

I have 10 x 8ft windows, I couldn't cover them all. I suppose we'll have to keep spraying

I know you can get sound devices that can keep cats away, has anyone used these to much effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Can you not speak to your neighbours? Tell them their cat looks ill and is aggressively attacking your house?

Advertisement