Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to a new filter

Options
  • 10-09-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello

my start into the hobby is going great and my swordtail and penguin terta are coming along great. i thinking of adding another few tetra and some females for the swordtail. and with this in mind i need to upgrade my filter setup.

i currently have an Intrapet mini and a air uplift filter and both are working great but IF ( the wife doesn't find out my plan) i get the extra fish i will need a more beefy filter set up for the extra bio load. i have a filter in mind that will also oxygenate the tank so the uplift can go.

BUT....

how do i introduce the new filter. if i run my existing filter and the new one it will be like a tsunami and if i take out my old filter and just use a new one i loose the good bacteria in the filter.

do i just put in the new one and squeeze the old filter out into the tank ???
    do i just leave the new filter siting in the tank and not run it for a week ???

suggestions and help much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I take the filter media out of the old filter and put it in the new filter, with as much as the new media will fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paranoid user

Silverfish wrote: »
    I take the filter media out of the old filter and put it in the new filter, with as much as the new media will fit.

the one i have in mind is a different brand and the sponge is a larger different shape. the one i have uses 4 small rectangular sponges . so they would probably fit. how long would i have to leave them in for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

the one i have in mind is a different brand and the sponge is a larger different shape. the one i have uses 4 small rectangular sponges . so they would probably fit. how long would i have to leave them in for.

I just wedge the old sponges in, and cut the new sponges to fit around them. I leave them in there permanently.
    You only have as much bacteria in the media as can handle the bioload, so if you throw out any sponge, you're throwing out part of the bacteria needed and you'll end up with a minor spike or mini cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 paranoid user

So I put in the new filter, a JBL i80 and opted to run it and my old filter for a fortnight alongside each other. The flow rate is adjustable. But I got a nitrate spike up to 50 ppm and two of my penguin tetras died.

The ammonia and nitrite are pretty mush at zero and I do a weekly water change of about 20%.

Is this normal for a new filter

Advertisement