Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning - stray dog rehoming

• 10-09-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I found a small, emaciated, unchipped terrier with no collar or ID, nothing. After coaxing her in to my car, taking her home, feeding and bedding her I did the usual poster and online campaign to reunite her with her owner.

Nobody claimed the dog. We came to the conclusion that she was unwanted and dumped.

I had the dog for a few weeks when someone offered to rehome her. Perfect couple, no kids, one person working from home, big house, big garden, lots of money and time, they wanted a companion for their other dog. After a trial period everything worked out well and I took the posters down. I've seen the dog since, met up with the owners and the dog basically has a better life than me. :)

When I say I took all the posters down, I forgot to take the one down in my local Garda station. I forgot about it.

Got a call months later from a man with a country/traveler accent claiming the dog was his and it was a rare miniature breed. He'd no interest in getting the dog back, but wanted €1000 as she was a valuable breeding dog.

I told him I'd be happy to meet up along with the DSPCA and the Gardai as there were some issues regarding the dogs treatment and health. The caller immediately hung up and I never heard anything again. I went to the Garda station and took the posters down.

I'm guessing the caller was in the Garda station for whatever reason and took my number down to try and pull a fast one. It certainly wasn't the owner as he described the dog incorrectly. Not everything was in the photo.

It might have worked with an elderly person or someone that would panic.

There's allsorts out there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

If you can be scammed there is always someone willing to try it unfortunately, fairplay for the response on your behalf!

As a matter of interest, when you went to the Garda Station and took down the poster did you discuss this with the guards? I'm just wondering have they heard of it before - i have put up similar posters for a dog and a cat in the past, I never considered that it would be used like that!

I'm delighted to hear that there was a happy ending for the poor doggie, fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

There currently is a scam where a couple with a country / traveller accent are claiming all lost dogs are theirs they then take them and sell them on so you were right to be careful.
    This couple are well known and their efforts have been stopped recently by alot of rescue groups in the area.
    Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a matter of interest, when you went to the Garda Station and took down the poster did you discuss this with the guards? I'm just wondering have they heard of it before - i have put up similar posters for a dog and a cat in the past, I never considered that it would be used like that!

I'm delighted to hear that there was a happy ending for the poor doggie, fair play

Sorry for the late reply, missed this one! I didn't discuss it with the Gards. They were pretty busy.

Advertisement