Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for reminder letters

Options
  • 10-09-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Can a property management charge for writing out to you? Got this email today.

Hi xxxx

We received your rent of €xxx in our account today and I have logged it which as of today’s date still leaves an outstanding amount of €xxx which only increases every week.

Can you please make a substantial lodgement of entire amount so that it gets you back on track as otherwise we will have no option but to issue you a warning letter which incurs an additiona fee of €50.

You can call me on reception to discuss the above

Surley charging a fee is illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Being behind in your rent is more illegal.

I understand that but had to get a major job done on the car and was out of work 2.5 weeks being ill. So I fell behind a little. They will be up to date In a couple of weeks. But charging €50 for a piece of paper is not on.

I'm fairly friendly with the landlord so I'll let him know what these gougers are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Surely it's a punishment for being late and it disincentives people paying late

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Check your lease or contact threshold for legal advice, but it sounds very ireegular and almost like a try on on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

paconnors wrote: »
    Can you please make a substantial lodgement of entire amount so that it gets you back on track as otherwise we will have no option but to issue you a warning letter
    A nice way of saying pay up or you'll get an eviction notice, tbh.

Also, I'm curious who are you paying the rent to; them or the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

paconnors wrote: »
    Can a property management charge for writing out to you? Got this email today.

Hi xxxx

We received your rent of €xxx in our account today and I have logged it which as of today’s date still leaves an outstanding amount of €xxx which only increases every week.

Can you please make a substantial lodgement of entire amount so that it gets you back on track as otherwise we will have no option but to issue you a warning letter which incurs an additiona fee of €50.

You can call me on reception to discuss the above

Surley charging a fee is illegal.

It's not illegal, nor has it any legal standing. Tell them to go away but get your rent paid asap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Providing its expressly provided for and not something that they have randomly decided to introduce without notifying people about- its a business transaction charge- the same as any other. Our Management Company habitually charge for reminder letters- alongside any costs incurred in chasing o/s charges. My bank charges me an automatic 20 Euro charge if I breach my overdraft. My work suppliers charge 0.8% per month on any outstanding balances at the end of each calendar month. Its a common tool to encourage people to pay on time.

Most people have to shuffle and and juggle to pay their bills- its an unfortunate part of life. I do sympathise- I'm just out of hospital myself, have young children and have o/s bills that I'm playing mind games on myself with. Is their charge illegal- nope. Does it have any standing in law- nope. Do you have to have to pay it- yes- unless they agree to waive it. Can or will they waive it- absolutely no reason they can't or won't- talk nicely to them- they're human too after all, normally it is discretionary whether or not they apply it- they like to apply it automatically- as it makes you doubly sure to try to toe the line in future- but it is something over which they can exercise free will as to whether or not they apply it.

Talk to them- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

i'm sure they have better things to be doing that writing letters to people who don't pay. The short of it is everything has a price including writing letters. So look at what they would have had to do in order to write this letter.

A examine the accounts for late payments
    Confirm payment has not been received.
    Then this person would have to write to you regarding missed payment
    Print letter
    Put said letter in the post
    Pay this employee for their time
    Pay rent/ heat/water charges/ Tax on their property etc etc

Now from what they have said they will only charge you for the next letter I think that is fair. Pay what is owed and move on.

Advertisement