Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a relationship with my lecturer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nobody_can wrote: »
    You really are just naive. If someone really wants to shag the poop out of someone. It's going to be really hard for him to control his physical attraction towards me.

Please don't think there aren't plenty of boys in my college that want to shag me. I know I'm sexy or whatever but I know this man is dying to and I want someone a little more mature.

Well here's hoping he isn't looking for someone a little more mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I'm not trying to offend you. I'm just stating the facts.

I don't think you are looking for advice in a forum all about advice, except technical explanations of your university rules which we can't answer because we don't know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

You really are just naive. If someone really wants to shag the poop out of someone. It's going to be really hard for him to control his physical attraction towards me.

Please don't think there aren't plenty of boys in my college that want to shag me. I know I'm sexy or whatever but I know this man is dying to and I want someone a little more mature.

I think you're the one that's naive. It's entirely possible he looks at 20 of his students the exact same as he looks at you, and 200 women a day outside of work in the exact same way, and finds them all very sexually attractive. It's entirely possible he's had ample oppurtunity to sleep with many of them, and didn't. That just makes him a man, not a man that can't resist you specifically. It's entirely possible in other circumstances he may want to sleep with you, but wouldn't want the potential hassle of sleeping with a student, be that you or any other attractive students that have had a crush on him, it's a common enough thing for students to try and put the moves on a lecturer.

But sure go for it, only one way to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Ego makes even the most physically attractive person ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'm not even trying to be rude here, but have you considered that maybe other people aren't as obsessed with how you look as you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Nobody_can

santana75 wrote: »
    Ego makes even the most physically attractive person ugly.

Thanks. When you write a forum and everyone knocks you down and hunt that you may be slightly crazy lets see how you would respond on the receiving end

Thanks. When you write a forum and everyone knocks you down and hunt that you may be slightly crazy lets see how you would respond on the receiving end

Nobody has said you're crazy. People are saying that shagging your lecturer is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Firstly, "shag the poop" out of someone is a new phrase on me. :eek:

Second, in all honesty, OP, you are the one who sounds naive. There are times in my life where I have been around women I really REALLY wanted to have sex with, and guess what? I could control myself. People aren't animals, unless every single one of his defence mechanisms are down, he has some level of control over himself.

Even if there are no "rules" against it in the student handbook or available to YOU, I'd nearly guarantee there's a stipulation somewhere in his contract, or in his employment terms and conditions that forbids relationships with students.

After all is said and done, do you really want to put him in the position of having to disclose any move you make on him to his superior? Because if he has any sense that's what he'll do, straight away. I know I would have if I was teaching- I was gesturing with my hand once in a conversation and it grazed a students chest. I don't think I wrote a report to my boss as fast afterwards in my life.

OneOfThem wrote: »
    If every man slept with every woman they were sexually attracted to, and stared at, they'd have to quit their lecturing (or whatever) job because there simply wouldn't be enough hours in the day. Finding someone sexually attractive and wanting to have sex with them in the abstract, doesn't necessarily translate into actually wanting to go through with it.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want to sleep with you. But it doesn't mean he does. But the only way you'll know is to make a move, ask him out.

That's a ridiculous statement to make. It's different when he checks you out all the time. And I've seen him in the middle of lectures and all that stuff I know how he looks at students and how he looks at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

That's a ridiculous statement to make. It's different when he checks you out all the time. And I've seen him in the middle of lectures and all that stuff I know how he looks at students and how he looks at me.

:) sure. He's only got eyes for you in all the world. Whatever you say. Go for it so, what you waiting for. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Let's assume that he does and you are as attractive as you say. You say he's at least 15 ( but possibly more) years older than you. I'm guessing 35-40. That means he's been lecturing for probably a decade or more.

In those years there will always be extremely attractive student in any class. Or two.Or more.

Presumably he's an attractive enough guy.

You are probably not the first girl he has ogled, who's also liked him. How many do you think he has slept with. ( Bear in mind a college campus, even if it has no rules on student fraternisation -- which is unlikely -- is like a village and there will be gossip. He would have a reputation).

If none, then why you? Your claim of our nativity, that people always sleep with whom they are attracted to, is itself naive. That might be the experience of a very hot 20 year old woman ( no reason to assume you are lying on that) with regards to men of that age with few responsibilities. But it doesn't continue like that.

Nevertheless Feel free to ask him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've done some lecturing in my time- not if I'd been celibate for months would I ever cross that line.
    I know a lot of lecturers who'd agree, it's just not worth jeopardising their careers, especially for "just sex".

I once had a friend who went back to college as a mature student. She was forever saying that one of her lecturers fancied her, that she knew by the way she'd catch him looking at her.
    After she graduated, she got hold of his mother's phone number (cringe);rang and left a message asking him to contact her as she wanted to meet for a coffee. He never made contact.

Same person also thought her physiotherapist fancied her and the satellite installation man.....a decade later she's still single.

Am sure there are lots of older men you can find for just sex, who aren't looking to complicate their lives.

First of all you know damn well what I meant by using those words instead of cursing.

Secondly if he was half as professionally cautious as you he wouldn't for months check out or find an excuse to check me out. It doesn't make sense! I him recently and I swear it took him all his will power to continue his conversation with his colleague while still checking me out. I mean if he had to just turn and look at my ass while walking past me doesn't that mean he is not in tune with professionalism when it comes down to it?

Checking you out hasn't got much to do with his professionalism. It's what people do. Hell I'm female and i do it all the time. It doesn't mean i have no self control and will throw myself at the first penis belonging to a man i find attractive.

Go for it if that's what you want. But bear the consequences in mind if he accepts.

And bear in mind that he'll still be your lecturer and someone he teaches every single day if he rejects you.

Yeah I see what you mean.
    But the only reason I wouldn't pursue this is because of his career. Not because I'm wrong about this. I'm one of those people that knows people better than they know themselves. And every time I have ever thought a guy really liked me, he did. Beside knowing when a guy likes me I once told my friend how her friend was going to screw her over and a week later she did exactly what I said she would do... This is my 6th sense and I'm pretty damn good at it

It's not a sixth sense. It's being a decent judge of character. And people in their early twenties are as easy to read as a junior infants book. I ALWAYS knew when someone liked me when I was that age, because young people aren't emotionally mature enough to hide their feelings properly.

Now, at 26? Couldn't tell you if a man liked me. I could tell if he was checking me out, but all that means is he likes how I look. Nothing else.

It's not a sixth sense. It's being a decent judge of character. And people in their early twenties are as easy to read as a junior infants book. I ALWAYS knew when someone liked me when I was that age, because young people aren't emotionally mature enough to hide their feelings properly.

Now, at 26? Couldn't tell you if a man liked me. I could tell if he was checking me out, but all that means is he likes how I look. Nothing else.

Not for me. I've predicted some pretty unpredictable stuff you know. At the start of college one of my friends decides to get involved with this guy I told her straight up that I didn't like him and that he was too shady. Next thing you know he is spreading vicious rumours about her sex life. Tell me this isn't 6th sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah I see what you mean.
    But the only reason I wouldn't pursue this is because of his career. Not because I'm wrong about this. I'm one of those people that knows people better than they know themselves. And every time I have ever thought a guy really liked me, he did. Beside knowing when a guy likes me I once told my friend how her friend was going to screw her over and a week later she did exactly what I said she would do... This is my 6th sense and I'm pretty damn good at it

You sound deluded tbh.

Not for me. I've predicted some pretty unpredictable stuff you know. At the start of college one of my friends decides to get involved with this guy I told her straight up that I didn't like him and that he was too shady. Next thing you know he is spreading vicious rumours about her sex life. Tell me this isn't 6th sense

It's not. It's being a fairly good judge of character. It's pretty simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

OP you sound like the biggest cliche in the book. Young hot college student who's bored of shagging the child-ish predictable men her age and wants someone a bit more "mature", a bit more of a challenge.

That and the shameless self-delusion. Straight men check women out as a rule. It's been happening since the dawn of time. Especially fit young 19 year old college students. I remember what that was like. I remember growing boobs and getting curves and my face maturing and discovering makeup and all eyes on me in every room I walked into. The ogling and the staring at every opportunity. It's easy to spot and it's a rush of blood to the head when you've still got the brain of a child and suddenly discover the power and control your sexuality offers you on a plate.

You get cocky and smug and want to push the boundaries, you want the forbidden men that you're so sure want you too. Give yourself ten years love. The married men and older men and friend's partners and shopkeepers and bosses and prospective employers etc will still be looking, because it's what they do, they just won't be leaving their wives/girlfriends/families/jobs for you because sexual attraction is one thing, reality is quite another.

Enjoy being young and attractive. It's great. It doesn't give you carte blache to be a morally-deficit dickhead though, at least not without garnering a very serious reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Secondly if he was half as professionally cautious as you he wouldn't for months check out or find an excuse to check me out. It doesn't make sense! I him recently and I swear it took him all his will power to continue his conversation with his colleague while still checking me out. I mean if he had to just turn and look at my ass while walking past me doesn't that mean he is not in tune with professionalism when it comes down to it?

Look, I'm not trying to wind you up. But here's the deal.

Human beings, ALL of us, check people out. Yes, sometimes it's very hard to remain professional if there's someone you find really hot walking by. I, for example, have nearly been knocked down by cars because I got distracted by hot women.

HOWEVER. Getting distracted to the point of losing the run of our sentence does not equal wanting to jeopardise your career. Even if e is unprofessional and would say to randomly scoring a student, would you want to be responsible for that?

Also, are you sure he's even single? If not, would you be happy to ruin his relationship, even if you don't sleep with him, the simplest hint of a rumour could really jeopardise it. And Universities are breeding grounds for rumours.

Lastly, and I mean no disrespect- you need to tone down the unbelievable levels of arrogance you portray. I get it- you're probably a hot 20 year old. Hot 20 year olds may make your world go around, but not the rest of it. If this guy has been teaching in University for a couple of years he's seen hot students come and go. Being able to surround yourself with beautiful young people is a perk of the job, I will admit. But when it comes down to it most folks don't dip their pen in the company ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Him eyeing you up and thinking about how he'd fancy sleeping with you, and him actually having any intention of actually sleeping with you are completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nobody_can wrote:
    How can I judge someone's character when I don't know them? Explain please? I once said that a man I know had divorced his wife on the down low and married someone else. 6 months later I found out I was right !!

Confirmation bias is the explanation.

This thread was interesting up to a point. Then you made clear that you have some kind of supernatural sixth sense which allows you to understand people and events.... Why on earth come and ask us normal people for advice then? We don't have your super power of perception.

I had a similar power when I was 20 and in uni. I was smarter than everyone around me but I lost it at about the same time as I learned my arse from my elbow.

Confirmation bias is the explanation.

This thread was interesting up to a point. Then you made clear that you have some kind of supernatural sixth sense which allows you to understand people and events.... Why on earth come and ask us normal people for advice then? We don't have your super power of perception.

I had a similar power when I was 20 and in uni. I was smarter than everyone around me but I lost it at about the same time as I learned my arse from my elbow.

If you say so. I must be crazy . I won't pursue anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nobody_can wrote:
    If you say so.

Yes it's confirmation bias. It happens to us all

[/quote] I must be crazy[/quote]

I haven't commented on your mental health so I defer to you on that.

[/quote] I won't pursue anything.[/quote]

Probably the first genuinely clever decision you've made on this thread

Yes it's confirmation bias. It happens to us all
    I must be crazy[/quote]

I haven't commented on your mental health so I defer to you on that.

[/quote] I won't pursue anything.[/quote]

Probably the first genuinely clever decision you've made on this thread[/quote]

You talk as if I'm beneath you and you act like I'm dumb

FYI I was being sarcastic when I said I was crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What is the point of you posting this thread? You fancy your lecturer, you want to sleep with him, and when people suggest it's a bad idea/not necessarily going to happen you get all defensive.

What exactly is the personal issue you want help with? Or do you just want people to say "Ah go on, shag him, be grand"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Well, this has been entertaining.

OP definitely naive and arrogant.

How wonderfull to be so attractive and have guys fall all over you. Being able to read their minds and then pick and choose is a big plus too.

And for those who didn't pay attention I have mentioned that he will not be my lecturer this year at all

And to be honest I don't understand why any lecturer/student relationships would be frowned upon if the lecturer wasn't grading any of the student's paper. To say that two people cannot fall in love accidentally because of fear of rumours and public perception is ridiculous. Any two adults can come into a situation where they find each other falling in love. Why should it be a conflict of interest if the student isn't in the lecturers classes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You said just sex, not love, love.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Well, this has been entertaining.

OP definitely naive and arrogant.

How wonderfull to be so attractive and have guys fall all over you. Being able to read their minds and then pick and choose is a big plus too.[/quote

I'm not being arrogant people asked if I wasn't able to get the D from anywhere else and I said I could :)

Even if I was arrogant and naive. I'd rather that than to be a dickhead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

And for those who didn't pay attention I have mentioned that he will not be my lecturer this year at all

And to be honest I don't understand why any lecturer/student relationships would be frowned upon if the lecturer wasn't grading any of the student's paper. To say that two people cannot fall in love accidentally because of fear of rumours and public perception is ridiculous. Any two adults can come into a situation where they find each other falling in love. Why should it be a conflict of interest if the student isn't in the lecturers classes ?

It might raise the question of when it began.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement