Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay trees on sale

Options
  • 11-09-2015 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Saw these in my local Supervalu in Kells. 2 for €50. Would they be worth taking a chance on or are they poor quality?

I know nothing about trees!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They look ok, but if I were going to spend €50 on trees it would not be from a supermarket as you have no way of knowing what treatment they have had, have they been kept watered, temperature etc.

Support your local garden centre, 'if you don't use it you lose it'.

Bay laurels like that are a bit temperamental too, even healthy looking ones can (and often do) up and die with not even an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lemlin wrote: »
    Saw these in my local Supervalu in Kells. 2 for €50. Would they be worth taking a chance on or are they poor quality?

I know nothing about trees!

Too small and way over priced. Spend a bit more and get a vastly superior plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I was considering similar bay trees at the same price from Woodie's and this was half the normal price for this type of bay tree there. The ones I saw for 25euro were after loosing their shape a bit compared to the full price ones. I decided against them as where I am going to plant would be too exposed to allow them grow completely straight.

I do think they would have survived but I am not confident I could keep the formal shape in the long term. I decided instead to go for small four euro bay trees and have found these to grow well. One pot of small bay trees that was only about 2.50euro about ten years ago I devided and several of the plants are now over seven foot tall and I think look a lot better than the tightly clipped formal version. I have searched regularly for this type of multiple plant offering of bay trees but I think the nurseries have realised they can earn a bit more from their bay trees. In warm places in Ireland the bay tree can grow fairly big if it gets the opportunity.

They are sensitive to severe frost but the bay trees I planted about ten years back simply resprouted from the base and still look nice. I think that's why there is the tradition of formal bay trees in nice pots as northern latitude growers can move them indoors for winter.

Advertisement