Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get pectin (in the SE)

Options
  • 11-09-2015 8:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭

I made apple jelly last but it hasn't set... I used mainly red skinned sweet apples, and it looks gorgeous, but that's not much use to me.

I've never seen pectin in the supermarket. Can you get it in chemists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

You can get it in some supermarkets Katy. It's in a green bottle and called Certo. Or you can buy a jam sugar that has pectin included in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I bought it in Dunnes recently, albeit in Galway. Came across it by accident. Was buying semolina and it was next to semolina, pudding rice and tapioca. Definitely not where I would have looked for it.
    As mentioned above it's a small green bottle (250 ml) with a yellow label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

katydid wrote: »
    I made apple jelly last but it hasn't set... I used mainly red skinned sweet apples, and it looks gorgeous, but that's not much use to me.

I've never seen pectin in the supermarket. Can you get it in chemists?

A couple of weeks ago I came across bottles of Certo in a supermarket called JCs ( in Swords ). Its a largish independent supermarket. So I'd say look for it in similar type establishments elsewhere. ( AFAIK Dunnes, Tesco et al no longer stock it )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

0lddog wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I came across bottles of Certo in a supermarket called JCs ( in Swords ). Its a largish independent supermarket. So I'd say look for it in similar type establishments elsewhere. ( AFAIK Dunnes, Tesco et al no longer stock it )

Thanks. There's an independent supermarket nearby that has lots of foodie things. In the same centre there's a health food shop and a chemist, so hopefully one of the three will have it.

twignme wrote: »
    You can get it in some supermarkets Katy. It's in a green bottle and called Certo. Or you can buy a jam sugar that has pectin included in it.

Thanks. The problem is I can't use the jam sugar, because there is already sugar in the mix - equal portions of liquid and sugar. That's why I need the pectin on its own.

• Advertisement

I got the Certo in a health food shop, Full of Beans in Ardkeen here in Waterford. The recipe on the bottle is for making jam from scratch; but as it's a liquid I don't want to add too much to the liquid that's there already, so I'm going to have a peep at their website and see what they say.
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

JohnK wrote: »

I've got that, it works really well if you can add it to the fruit before you put them to the boil.
    Adding it afterwards is tricky, as the powder turns to gloop the instant it comes into contact with anything liquid, and doesn't disolve very well.

I'm curious about the liquid stuff, I'll keep an eye open for it.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've got that, it works really well if you can add it to the fruit before you put them to the boil.
    Adding it afterwards is tricky, as the powder turns to gloop the instant it comes into contact with anything liquid, and doesn't disolve very well.

I'm curious about the liquid stuff, I'll keep an eye open for it.

I tried the liquid stuff, and I had the same problem - it was quite gloopy. They tell you to add lemon juice too, maybe to stop the gloopiness, but it wasn't great. It settled after a lot of whisking, but next time I'll make sure I put it in at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 loulou87

I use agar agar and find it great!
    I get it in Holland and Barrett.

• Advertisement
Advertisement