Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator issue

Options
  • 11-09-2015 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for some advice on my moderator.
    I have my rifle zeroed for 50 yards and can get good groupings.
    the first time I attached my moderator it needed an adjustment of 65clicks right and 109 clicks up to get groupings but not as good as without the moderator.
    I went home and cleaned the rifle and bolt.

The next time at the range when I attached the moderator I have to go right 85 and up 149. I could not get any groupings. Distances of between 2mm and 3 inchs on the target. When I took of the moderator and went back to zero I was able to get grouping again. Any idea on why this is happening?

I havent cleaned the moderator but clean the barrel after each trip.

Cheers
    Beerbaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What rifle/calibre is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clunge

Had same issue a few years back, turns out the guy who threaded the barrel did a crap job first time so paired it down and rethreaded it which left the mod very loose fitting unless it was extremely tight up against the barrel but after a shot or 2 would loosen which had the effect of some of the gas escaping out the back of the mod! Had to bring the rifle to another Smith who just chopped off the threaded part and re did the job! Shooting perfect now

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

HI,
    Its a CZ455 .22lr got it new in June.
    Cant remember the make of the moderator now...
    Its quite tight I have to say. I doubt its the threads...how can I can even if it is tight?
    What about cleaning it?

Cheers
    Beerbaron

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The rounds/bullets are clipping the mod.

I had this years ago on a 30-06. The amount by which the bullets were clipping were minute but enough to send each round off course causing groups to be between 1.5" and 7 inches. Without the Mod the gun shot perfectly.

When i took the mod off i could see the graze on the inside of the muzzle of the Mod where the bullets were clipping. My solution was to place the mod in a vice and use a drill press to bore out the muzzle hole from the 9.5mm it was to 11.5 mm. When i went back to the range the groups were almost as good as when i shot the rifle without the Mod.

Most times it's the threading job on the rifle. Even factory rifles that come threaded can be off. Sometimes, and it's few, it's the threading on the Mod that is wrong. The reason i drilled out the Mod was it was one i already had for a few years and if the drilling did not work it wouldn't have effected it's performance on my other rifle, which it didn't.

So you're two options are:
    1. Get the gun re-threaded by someone that knows what they're doing
    2. Drill out the Mod to a larger muzzle size to allow the bullet to pass without clipping.

You can check the Mod yourself. Take it off the gun. At the muzzle look at the outside and inside of the muzzle. You will see a slight graze on the edge of the crown. It may be subtle or very obvious and may only be on the inside of the muzzle, outside of the muzzle or all through it.

If you're unsure take as good a picture as you can of the muzzle of the Mod and post it up here. I'll try to see if i can see the same markings to confirm my opinion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

if you can, try the mod on another rifle to see if the issue is the same and also try another mod on your rifle if possible you might be able to see which is causing the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

I have a cz455 .22lr these models are very accurate and come factory threaded ,you probably have a Parker hale or Sak moderator sometimes people remove the baffles in the parker hale mod. put on a washing up glove they grip very well and remove the mod clean and check, get a mod of a mate and try it, it is most likely the mod or threads what bullets are you using.

threadded
    HI,
    Its a CZ455 .22lr got it new in June.
    Cant remember the make of the moderator now...
    Its quite tight I have to say. I doubt its the threads...how can I can even if it is tight?
    What about cleaning it?

Cheers
    Beerbaron

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

At least you didn't have the problem that one new shooter at our range had one saturday afternoon. He had just collected his new .308Win Tikka T3 Varmint and moderator, and was amazed to see that not a single one of the first five shots had hit the sand backstop, let alone within a few inches of the target.

There were also lots of bits flying around the muzzle, he noted with a degree of glumth.

That was because his nice new rifle had been fitted in the gun-store with a .223cal moderator - one that was in a very distressed condition by then.

Removing it got things back to normal, and his hurt feelings were somewhat assuaged by a 'gift' of a hundred rounds of suitable ammunition from the extremely embarrassed store owner.

AND a proper moderator....

tac

Did you get time to check out the mod?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I just got round to checking the mod. Its a Parker Hale mod. The front and back of the mod are fine with no markings. However upon closer inspection the baffles on the inside when looking from the front are not set. Almost like a hexagon shape. My plan is to see if Parker Hale will send me the part that goes inside the mod to see if it can be readjusted or to maybe send it back to my gun dealer...the other option of drilling a new hole 1 or 2 mm wider is good we dont have a drill bit at the moment to go the length of the mod.

I'll just keep using the ear plugs for now :p
    Cheers
    Beerbaron

Does the parker hale open? The older ones did not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I just got round to checking the mod. Its a Parker Hale mod. The front and back of the mod are fine with no markings. However upon closer inspection the baffles on the inside when looking from the front are not set. Almost like a hexagon shape. My plan is to see if Parker Hale will send me the part that goes inside the mod to see if it can be readjusted or to maybe send it back to my gun dealer...the other option of drilling a new hole 1 or 2 mm wider is good we dont have a drill bit at the moment to go the length of the mod.

I'll just keep using the ear plugs for now :p
    Cheers
    Beerbaron

Someone has taken the 15 baffles out and not used the tool to re-align them when re-assembling them. In my opinion if you can get a small rod slightly smaller than the diameter of the baffles that should solve the problem. A drill bit of same size might do it, you take the baffles out and feed them down the tube on the rod/drill giving them a jiggle until they are all alligned. Alternatively I have a PH brand new in box for €50

20150915_203034.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

oldtart wrote: »
    Someone has taken the 15 baffles out and not used the tool to re-align them when re-assembling them. In my opinion if you can get a small rod slightly smaller than the diameter of the baffles that should solve the problem. A drill bit of same size might do it, you take the baffles out and feed them down the tube on the rod/drill giving them a jiggle until they are all alligned. Alternatively I have a PH brand new in box for €50

https://imageshack.us/my/images

Yes I took the top off last night, you could see that some of the baffles were twisted. Also there was dirt in the first two. I plan on cleaning it soon and trying to find a rod that will do. I think PH may sell them so I might contact them to send one on. Thanks again.

Advertisement