Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muse - 3Arena Dublin - 5 April 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

aphex™ wrote: »
    I think they missed the pit. That's the disadvantage of a stage like that. Hard to get moshing going during the heavy songs. Thus harder to play off energy of the crowd. They might not do that stage again for that reason.

Also, people don't listen to albums these days.

In fairness, I don't think they design the stage, plan to running order of the songs they play, design the lighting and visual effects, with consideration to how much moshing will be taking place at their gigs.

I would guess if they don't use that design of a stage again, it would be down to the cost of making it and transporting it on tour, rather than how mosh-able the audience is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This comes up after every single gig on here these days, you don't have to be dancing and jumping to enjoy a gig. Plenty of people are happy with listening to fantastic live music, along with a sensational visual show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

It was a great gig. Band played fantastic and I really enjoyed the Setlist.

It was also a real feast for the eyes. I've seen Roger Waters:The Wall tour and Rammstein twice this was up there with them.

It used a lot of tricks that the wall did and when I looked it up The Drones tour has the same production manager.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Beekay wrote: »
    It used a lot of tricks that the wall did and when I looked it up The Drones tour has the same production manager.

I was thinking there were some similarities, that's interesting

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just thinking back on last night, it does seem that the crowd were a bit more subdued, but at times I was doing the same thing as them (admiring the spectacular visuals in front of and above us). The drones, the puppet strings, the laser lighting...incredible! I don't think many were there to just bounce round and mosh as you would expect at a Muse gig, but it was incredible nonetheless. Singing every lyric and bouncing around, or just taking it handy at times wouldn't have and didn't bother me (I done both), just the amount of phones on display.

It was a great setup in The Point last night, but I can't help but feel the atmosphere would have been pumped to higher levels had it been a regular front-facing stage. All in all? Still very impressed with the setlist, the performance, and the visuals on offer. Looking forward to seeing them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Good gig but holy god, the phones would drive you crazy. I'd almost prefer Muse on a plain stage which would reduce peoples urges to keep the phone out.

There was an absolute C U Next Tuesday in my section who, as soon as the band came on, had her phone up in the air. With flash turned on. Ignored the several people telling her to turn it off, and had to be told by an employee twice before she finally turned it off. You have to wonder what the hell is wrong with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

There was an absolute C U Next Tuesday in my section who, as soon as the band came on, had her phone up in the air. With flash turned on. Ignored the several people telling her to turn it off, and had to be told by an employee twice before she finally turned it off. You have to wonder what the hell is wrong with some people.

How else do you prove you're cool without video evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How else do you prove you're cool without video evidence?

Sadly, it is a major societal problem. Like in the meteor ad, "If she can't let everyone know she is at the Muse gig, what's the point?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

corcaigh07 wrote:
    Sadly, it is a major societal problem. Like in the meteor ad, "If she can't let everyone know she is at the Muse gig, what's the point?".

It's annoying and a pain in the rocks but it's not a major societal problem.

All you have to do move to a new spot, or stick your elbows out. They'll soon get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

All you have to do move to a new spot, or stick your elbows out. They'll soon get the picture.

Pun intended ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

entropi wrote: »
    It was a great setup in The Point last night, but I can't help but feel the atmosphere would have been pumped to higher levels had it been a regular front-facing stage.
    Yeah I felt the same, the 360 stage is beneficial in long "basketball area" style arenas, to keep everyone closer to the stage, it didn't really gain anything by doing it in the 3 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

The visuals were really cool! Especially the puppet strings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not that easy when your line of sight is covered by recording phones and it's not easy to move around either if you are standing anywhere half decent.

Also made worse by extra visuals, gimmicks and open encouragement of videos and photos before the gig (sans flash of course, haha!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I felt the same, the 360 stage is beneficial in long "basketball area" style arenas, to keep everyone closer to the stage, it didn't really gain anything by doing it in the 3 last night.
    Aye. It works well up in Belfast in The Odyssey, and in the SSE Wembley too.

I'd say the view from the seats was pretty cool last night, something we can't fully appreciate down by the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Ya the view from the seats was incredible. You'd want around 8 eyes to follow everything going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Muse gig number 6 for me, still (and probably will always be fav) is the "secret" gig in ulster hall last year as part of the album launch.

The gig last night had a great setlist I felt real good mix. But the crowd were pretty abismal for the most part. I was front row seated and could hear myself singing / screaming the songs. Nobody around me even bopping. Worst crowd of any muse gig for me.

Also visuals , what visuals :D

26185219492_937497c948_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

My partner and I had a wish list of songs that are less frequently played that we would like to hear. Mine was bliss, his was citizen erased. I nearly dropped. Last time I heard bliss was 08 in Marley park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

MargeS wrote: »
    Great gig by Muse, but the crowd were a bit off. I think two thirds of the crowd were sitting and nobody was allowed to stand, so the whole thing felt a bit flat.
    Security were strict and forcing people to sit down, so bopping in your seat felt all wrong :(
    <snip>
    I chose seated just because I would have been kicking myself if I couldn't see enough from the floor. I was wondering if we would stand up anyway in the balconies, but nooooo :( ...

Do you know if 'the prohibition' is a blanket policy at this venue? Think I've only been to one show there before, but in the standing (ground level) section. I can see issues with allowing standing if some of those in the seats actually wish to sit, and also the possibility of a domino-effect if someone toppled over :P, but it really feels awkward and unengaging to me sitting at a live rock concert :(. Fantastic show, though :)
    Block c, great seats and seemed to be a naughty block, only ones who stood up!
    I didn't even realise that was happenng - I was in across the aisle in D (lucky find on Ticketmaster about a week beforehand)! Were there no attempts at a clampdown? :pac:
    mikekerry wrote: »
    <snip> the security were very heavy handed with anyone who stood up in the seating area. brilliant gig, loved the space ship.
    Wonder how Block C got away with it!
    I have to admit I couldn't work out if the spaceship was a really impressive 3D illusion before it came from behind the translucent screens holding the projected images...a little less impressive when I realised it was an inflatible, but cheesy fun nevetheless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

5th time seeing Muse and the most disappointing of the lot. Playing 4 songs from the new album at the beginning of the show didnt help. The 360 thing doesn't work in the 3Arena, its just not big enough.

Visually it looked amazing and the band can't be faulted but there was something missing last night and i cant put my finger on it.

The most annoying thing about people videoing the show was the 3Arena stopping people from doing it. It was really distracting from where I was at the back of the seats. And don't get me started on the people standing at the front and recording it, youre in a privileged position, enjoy the show and stop messing with your phone.....

Oh and BTW 5 quid for a hotdog! get a grip Mr Crosbie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Wonder how Block C got away with it!

Group effect I think, so many stood up they had no chance to tell us to sit. I was expecting it to happen but thrilled when it didn't, Uprising would not have been the same in our seats! It was probably helped by 2 guys in the row in front who had tried to stand much of the night and worn security down 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

IP freely wrote: »
    Muse gig number 6 for me, still (and probably will always be fav) is the "secret" gig in ulster hall last year as part of the album launch.

The gig last night had a great setlist I felt real good mix. But the crowd were pretty abismal for the most part. I was front row seated and could hear myself singing / screaming the songs. Nobody around me even bopping. Worst crowd of any muse gig for me.

thank god I wasnt sitting near you. If you want to bop, why buy a seating ticket. Is there a part of not standing when you buy a seat that you do not understand. Also, maybe if you enjoy singing at muse gigs you should apply to take Matt's job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

IP freely wrote: »

Well said! Awful crowd

Kinda annoyed last night that Belfast got Plug In Baby, Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome and Undisclosed Desires

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Missed Dublin and ended up spinning upto Belfast on a whim! Was class. Had seen the past 2 gigs in the o2 (resistance/2nd law) and decided I couldn't miss the latest one.

Loved the 360 stage setup, the drones were amazing. Due to the setup in Belfast everyone could get close to the stage, managed to pickup standing tickets at the box office.

How was it in Dublin? Did the stage still spin around in circles or was all based around Chris? Did they have the runways to the left and right - can't see for sure from the pic above!

Shlippery wrote: »
    Missed Dublin and ended up spinning upto Belfast on a whim! Was class. Had seen the past 2 gigs in the o2 (resistance/2nd law) and decided I couldn't miss the latest one.

Loved the 360 stage setup, the drones were amazing. Due to the setup in Belfast everyone could get close to the stage, managed to pickup standing tickets at the box office.

How was it in Dublin? Did the stage still spin around in circles or was all based around Chris? Did they have the runways to the left and right - can't see for sure from the pic above!

Rotating stage - runways left and right yup

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Well said! Awful crowd

Did you go to the gig to watch and listen to the crowd, or did you pay 70 odd euros to watch and listen to the band?

OSI wrote: »
    You seem to have a fair sized stick up your backside over the criticism of the crowd.

Clearly he was one of the dry sh*tes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

You seem to have a fair sized stick up your backside over the criticism of the crowd.
    Do you not go to concerts to enjoy what is happening on stage?
    The crowd would normally show their appreciation at the end of a song. Maybe some muse fans dont know how to behave in public

And you seem obsessed with what the crowd is doing during the gig, rather than watching and listening to the band you bought a ticket to see.

If I have a criticism, it is about people who seem to think that in order to enjoy a gig, you have to be jumping around banging into people all throughout the gig.

Why does it bother you that other people just opt to focus on what's happening on stage and listen to the band and enjoy the visual and lighting display of the gig?

• Advertisement

Texas Jack wrote: »
    Clearly he was one of the dry sh*tes ;)

That was very clever of you, to figure out how to type ****e without getting automatically censored.

Advertisement