Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in house

Options
  • 11-09-2015 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have damp in my house whcih I need to reslove. I heard about Positive Input vetilation which may resolve the issue finally.
    I am trying to find an installer can somebody please recommend somebody

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What's the root cause?

The damp can be coming from a few different places... Up through the ground if there is a fault in the damp-proof course.

In through the walls or windows if there are problems there.

Or your damp could be actually condensation. This is the only one which would be solved by ventilation solution surely?

Have you had an engineering inspection done to determine the root cause? Once you're sure of that then you can start looking at solutions. No point in putting in a solution to a problem you don't have.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Positive input or demand controlled ventilation could help, but as above, you need to understand the causes as well

This might be a lack of insulation meaning there are cold surfaces where moist air condenses or a rising damp or external damp source, or a lack of ventilation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

You absolutely need to understand why the house is damp before you attempt any solution.

It could be lack of ventilation, poor insulation, bad windows, rising damp from the foundations, leaking pipes in a heating system that's constantly topping up, bad roofing issues, the house may be too cold etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 july11

thanks for your advise. I didn't get an engineer inspection done I can get this done but where do I go to get this done? In the last 3 yrs I changed the windows and insulated the walls but the damp is still causing a problem. So it definitely makes sense to get an inspection by an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I moved into an older house last year and had a good experience with Damprite which was recommended to me by my engineer- http://www.damprite.ie/

Have no connection with the company apart from being a customer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement