Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weimaraner Owners?

• 11-09-2015 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking for some advice about weimaraners. I'm thinking about buying a weim pup and could use some advice from experienced owners. Are they really as difficult and zany as some people say? I've had dogs pretty much all my life but completely new to this breed. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Looking for some advice about weimaraners. I'm thinking about buying a weim pup and could use some advice from experienced owners. Are they really as difficult and zany as some people say? I've had dogs pretty much all my life but completely new to this breed. Thanks

They are a large active gundog breed & much more suited to homes that will enable them to use their natural talents. Several of my friends have them & use them as working gundogs. They can be fairly quick to react compared to the more laid back retrieving breeds. They are in the hunt, point & retrieve group of gundogs. I also have a large HPR breed & he can be quite a handful at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

Thanks for this. I have owned vizslas in the past which I believe are similar...although I've heard they're less excitable. I've also heard that weims are prone to a lot of illnesses....tumours etc. Many seem to die quite young. I think they're beautiful. I just want to be sure I could offer one a good home and look after it properly. I don't hunt but am pretty active so it would be well exercised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Thanks for this. I have owned vizslas in the past which I believe are similar...although I've heard they're less excitable. I've also heard that weims are prone to a lot of illnesses....tumours etc. Many seem to die quite young. I think they're beautiful. I just want to be sure I could offer one a good home and look after it properly. I don't hunt but am pretty active so it would be well exercised.

The Vizsla's would be very active too but are a gentle breed compared to the Weims. Many of which can be great guard dogs. They can also be fairly aggressive with other dogs & stubborn. They are a beautiful looking dog & if you are very active & have plenty of experience with dogs you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bikeresearcher

Many thanks. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I have a weimaraner, first dog I owned. Very friendly and no problem with aggression.

I find him difficult to train to walk on a lead. With the training you need to keep on top of them as they are pretty independent.
    I think if you have experience with vizslas it shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement