Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 6S & iPhone 6S Plus Release Date & Price in Republic of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Ordered a 6s Plus 64GB with a silicone case. Total cost = €1024.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Apple USA now selling the 6s sim free
    64gb 6s plus $849 we pay €979
    This is the one I presume to buy if visit g USA !
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/08/sim-free-unlocked-iphone-6s/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Don't forget the sales tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Don't forget the sales tax.

Also keep in mind that even though Apple sometimes makes exceptions, the warranty on iPhones is not international (as opposed to MacBooks for which it clearly is international).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Seriously... I just want an iPhone 6s Plus in slate grey in my hand on release day without having to wait on delivery .... TAKE MY FÙCKING MONEY!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Seriously... I just want an iPhone 6s Plus in slate grey in my hand on release day without having to wait on delivery .... TAKE MY FÙCKING MONEY!!!

You are indeed a Savage

TAKE MY FÙCKING MONEY!!!

I'm sure some scalper will be happy to do that ;-)

On a serious note, various websites are reporting MUCH better availability compared to the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus last year. So hopefully you'll get what you're looking for.

Is the idea of keeping stock limited and "in demand" for the release period a deliberate tactic or do they genuinely have trouble manufacturing to meet the demand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Is the idea of keeping stock limited and "in demand" for the release period a deliberate tactic or do they genuinely have trouble manufacturing to meet the demand?

Most stores I called only got 2 or 3 phones in and no Plus versions. :(

I don't think it is a marketing plot. Apple probably wouldn't mind selling more and avoiding trouble with scalpers. Having said that, I find the small shows they are putting on at Apple store a little silly.

Their secrecy culture about the specs of the device (preventing them to start mass manufacturing too early) and the fact that it is a yearly release everyone expects at a given time are probably a massive challenge for their supply chain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The artificial demand theory? No, it’s just how Apple's (extremely efficient) supply chain works: by keeping everything moving. Excess inventory is risky and costly. It’s better to underestimate demand than overestimate it. Cook by all accounts is something of a logistical genius.

The artificial demand theory? No, it’s just how Apple's (extremely efficient) supply chain works: by keeping everything moving. Excess inventory is risky and costly. It’s better to underestimate demand than overestimate it. Cook by all accounts is something of a logistical genius.

I see what you're saying... And after Christmas or so, I can definitely see the benefit of that strategy... But at release I'd consider it anything but efficient if there are customers with money waiting to purchase.
    But yeah, they are the genius' and I'm not, so maybe I should hold my hands up that they know better for their own business plan anyway.

As an aside... It was a similar situation to this at release for the iPhone 5 that had me throw my head up and buy the flagship Galaxy S at the time.... Almost instantly regretted the decision though and bought the iPhone 3 months later... I'll be waiting this time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bob24 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that even though Apple sometimes makes exceptions, the warranty on iPhones is not international (as opposed to MacBooks for which it clearly is international).

While they will honour the warranty on a USA phone in Ireland they won't allow the mail in service. You have to bring it to a store, so Belfast it is then.

*personal experience with this.

I'm sure some scalper will be happy to do that ;-)

None on adverts.ie anyway... I think I would have gone 70/80 over face value today.

kceire wrote: »
    While they will honour the warranty on a USA phone in Ireland they won't allow the mail in service. You have to bring it to a store, so Belfast it is then.

*personal experience with this.

Yes this is what I have been hearing as well. But I'd say keep in mind the T&Cs clearly state the warranty is not international, so one day they could well decide to say no and there is nothing people could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Vodafone blanchardstown have quite a few 6s & 6s plus in stock if anyone is interested. To my surprise I walked into an empty shop yesterday and got a gold 6s plus. Guy said demand lower than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Vodafone blanchardstown have quite a few 6s & 6s plus in stock if anyone is interested. To my surprise I walked into an empty shop yesterday and got a gold 6s plus. Guy said demand lower than expected.

So, have we reached the point where an "incremental" upgrade isn't enough?

D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dinarius wrote: »

D.

Yeah, really disappointing launch weekend figures of only 13 million phones. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Dinarius wrote: »

D.

Stand back from the annual hype and yes, the "s" releases are just incremental improvements on the previous generation, a bit like how car manufacturers put a new grille and headlights on a car model during its mid life phase and call it a new car. Notwithstanding this, I'm getting the 6s because for me, it's a big jump up on my current iPhone 5, which in turn was a big leap forward from my iPhone 3. However if I had the cash to upgrade every year, I'd be disappointed with the "s" models and would ideally wait to change every 2 years for the full updated phones, ie 5 - 6 - 7 etc

Domane wrote: »
    a bit like how car manufacturers put a new grille and headlights on a car model during its mid life phase and call it a new car.

A better metaphor would be a car manufacturer leaving the body, grille and lights as they were while replacing the engine and the gearbox.

That sort of under-the-bonnet change is often difficult for a non-technical person to understand because visually the new model looks the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Anyone tried to get one with meteor?
    I'm entitled to an upgrade, but as a new customer it would actually be 50 quid cheaper, which seems silly. Are they waiving this instore?

Yes it has the A9 processor, yes it's faster but apart from the camera improvements, is there really anything "new" over last years model? Not really. But it is a big advance on my 5 model which is why I'm getting one. If I had the 6, then I wouldn't bother tbh

the corpo wrote: »
    Anyone tried to get one with meteor?
    I'm entitled to an upgrade, but as a new customer it would actually be 50 quid cheaper, which seems silly. Are they waiving this instore?

You could always try the "I'm leaving you" tactic to see if they offer you a deal to stay. Ive used this line with O2 in the past and got a brand new iPhone model for €90 on a cheap plan. They could call your bluff but it's worth a go.

Tax reasons. Apple pay a lower rate corporation tax in Ireland for their head offices because they don't have bricks & mortor stores that actually sell to the public. Similarly, anything we buy on Apple.ie comes from the UK (or Asia).

Using Compub is a roundabout way of using a third party company to sell their stock and avoid the necessary government taxes.

Is this myth still doing the rounds? I've never yet heard this from anyone that's remotely able to back it up.

Domane wrote: »
    Yes it has the A9 processor, yes it's faster but apart from the camera improvements, is there really anything "new" over last years model? Not really. But it is a big advance on my 5 model which is why I'm getting one. If I had the 6, then I wouldn't bother tbh

As I said, new engine, new gearbox but looks the same on the outside.

Graham wrote: »
    Is this myth still doing the rounds? I've never yet heard this from anyone that's remotely able to back it up.

Same here ... have read/heard this many times but never saw anything to back it up.

I think Ireland is just too small a market to bother setting up full blown brick and mortar sales organisation. Belgium only got its first Apple Store last month and it is quite a larger market compared to Ireland.

Same here ... have read/heard this many times but never saw anything to back it up.

I think Ireland is just too small a market to bother setting up full blown brick and mortar sales organisation. Belgium only got its first Apple Store last month and it is quite a larger market compared to Ireland.

Every now and then there's rumours that Apple have been looking at X landmark property, I think the last one was when Habitat went splat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Another factor is that Apple has become very fussy about the location of their retail stores. They aren't going to just move into any free space they can find. They'll wait for the absolute perfect spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't agree with this at all as following that logic then there shouldn't be a store in Belfast.

Many US cities have multiple stores so there is no reason why one in Dublin with a popuation of 1 million would not work for Apple.

I'd say one will come eventully but Apple want the perfect location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

So after over an hour on the phone to Three and then an Apple techie the wife's phone is going back for replacement. Got stuck in a loop while upgrading to 9.0.2 at the firmware stage. Hardware problem diagnosed so no hassle getting it replaced luckily.

Sad face for her earlier. Not helped by the fact that mine is working perfectly and great :)

Advertisement