Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a Commute

Options
  • 11-09-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Some general question about bike commuting...
    I'm currently looking into the idea of a theoretical daily between Bray and Eastpoint Business Park - 45km round trip ish

1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
    2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

Be interested to hear anyone who does similar distance. I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

g0g wrote: »
    I'm currently looking into the idea of a theoretical daily between Bray and Eastpoint Business Park - 45km round trip ish

1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
    2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

Be interested to hear anyone who does similar distance. I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

Hey, my commute is 68km round trip. Pending on how I'm working time out the door can vary. That said I'm up, dressed and on the bike inside of 15-20mins. Once in work I'd say 10-15 mins, shower, dress and ready to go. Breakfast at my desk.

So to put that in times on Wednesday I was aiming to be in work for 8. Up at 6:25, on the bike by 6:40, in work showered at my desk by 8. Had breakfast a little later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

The big advantage is that you're on the way and moving from the second you leave the house.

No waiting around for a bus / train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Also the Dart in my experience can be delayed quite often. I think doing all of what you described in an hour is probably unrealistic when you factor wind, rain, traffic,backpack..etc but you can prove me wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Greystones to UCD for me (though quite infrequently), my preferred route in is 32 km (I try to avoid Windgates at crazy o'clock) and a little longer back.
    To start work by 08.00 I like to leave the house at 06.10. As I like to eat before (and after) I usually get up in good time so there is no rushing around - for me the 22k, with the before / after in an hour would not be possible. But I tend to not break any speed records on the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I commute Bray (southern end) to D1 daily on the bike and in general it's 50/60min accounting for traffic lights. That's 23.5km each way for me. If you're doing 22 and heading to Eastpoint I assume you're heading from the northern end.

It'll be much quicker than the Dart, because there is no Dart. You're looking at getting the Dart to Tara St. and then having to catch a bus to Eastpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Your cycle time will be consistent. I do 20km over a lot of that route in about 50 minutes during peak hours. I would suggest N11, Clonkeen Road, Rock Road, Merrion Gates and Eastlink

Getting out in the morning should be quick as you get out of bed and into your cycling clothes. Bike should be ready if you are using it everyday.

Delays will probably be at your place of work. Locking the bike, having a shower, walking to your desk ect

Unlikely you will be at your desk an hour after leaving your house. I would suspect your cycle will take at least 55 minutes and then whatever it takes at your work end..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Plastik wrote: »
    It'll be much quicker than the Dart, because there is no Dart. You're looking at getting the Dart to Tara St. and then having to catch a bus to Eastpoint.

Wouldn't you get the dart to Clontarf road? I think there are shuttle buses from there but then it isn't too far regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

the dart goes to Clontarf

bloody southsiders..... :)

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you get the dart to Clontarf road? I think there are shuttle buses from there but then it isn't too far regardless

Sorry, true. Contarf road would be far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I commute Bray (southern end) to D1 daily on the bike and in general it's 50/60min accounting for traffic lights. That's 23.5km each way for me. If you're doing 22 and heading to Eastpoint I assume you're heading from the northern end.

Nice one thanks, good to have a local comparison. I had assumed Clontarf Road and walk back for Dart, but maybe Tara would make more sense. I'm very close to the bottom of the Main Street (Bray), so kinda middle of town. Had assumed Shankill, N11, Clonkeen Road, Coast Road, Eastlink in terms of distance. Does your timing factor in each end of it or is that just time on bike?

(edit - had this half typed then got called away so hadn't seen those other replies in the meantime!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

AFAIK, Eastpoint has a shuttle to Clontarf Rd Dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I do Bray to Ballymount - 27km approx and I'd say it works out at about 1hr 30mins all in. 15 mins getting dressed and hopping on the bike, 1 hour or so on the road and 15 mins changing and showering at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Just get yourself one of these, cuts out all those messy lights and the traffic.

12187E_1000x1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I found when I was doing a longer commute (30km each way) I had to spend 10-15 mins cooling down before having a shower or else I was still over heating when I got dressed.

I was able to sit at my desk and have breakfast and then shower and change. I wasn't particularly worried about sitting around in Lycra but it did upset some other people - I did get in before most other people so was respectably dressed by the time the office got busy.

Now my commute is only 7km so I just shower before I leave the house and change clothes once I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Had assumed Shankill, N11, Clonkeen Road, Coast Road, Eastlink in terms of distance.
    If you don't mind a bit of a hill in the middle of things, you might try
    https://goo.gl/maps/otB0D. Avoids the N11 stretch.

Nice one thanks, good to have a local comparison. I had assumed Clontarf Road and walk back for Dart, but maybe Tara would make more sense. I'm very close to the bottom of the Main Street (Bray), so kinda middle of town. Had assumed Shankill, N11, Clonkeen Road, Coast Road, Eastlink in terms of distance. Does your timing factor in each end of it or is that just time on bike?

(edit - had this half typed then got called away so hadn't seen those other replies in the meantime!)

No that's just pure bike time. How much you need to add on at either end is something you'll need to suss yourself. In general I'm at the desk 15 min after getting in and on the bike 10 min after deciding to leave. My daily route is exactly as you're suggesting except that I go straight on through Ballsbridge to the city centre.

I don't know how fit or otherwise you are but probably 50/55 min consistently. You won't have as much red time when heading for the coast road as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Getting out the door is the same time regardless of whether I'm cycling - I get up, put my clothes on and walk out the door. It may take an extra minute to grab my bike from the garage, but unless your bike is locked somewhere more inaccessible, then I can't see how it should take significantly longer to get going on it.
    At the other end I'm fortunate enough that at the moment I can keep my bike in my office so I don't need to lock it. I arrive at work, head into my office and then nip down to the showers - maybe another 10 to 15 minutes to get showered & changed. It does depend on your specific layout though - I can get changed in my office, answer a few emails and head for a shower whenever suits me (if I'm not too sweaty).

My commute is close to 20k each way and there's minimal variation in times. Coming from near Leixlip to Grand Canal area, there's a 10 minute difference between my fastest ever (40m) and slowest ever times (51m) - usually there's no more than 5 minutes variation in a day (I allow 50 minutes) and that's mostly due to traffic lights and the level crossing I sometimes get stuck at. You could probably do 22 in an hour, but you won't know until you try it a few times.

In my situation, I'm a 15 minute walk to the train station, minimum of 45 minutes on the train and 5 minute walk at the far side, so it's quicker for me to cycle, plus I can leave to my own timetable rather than having to plan around Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks all. It never ceases to amaze me what a great resource Boards can be! You can always find someone in a similar situation and people are so helpful when you have questions!

I guess it might be a thought to just cycle the route myself at the weekend and see how long it takes! Appreciate all the tips from everyone, and fingers crossed someday I'll achieve my goal of commuting on a bike!

One thing is for sure, you'll be super fit doing that 5 days a week! Make sure to up your calorie intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you don't mind a bit of a hill in the middle of things, you might try
    https://goo.gl/maps/otB0D. Avoids the N11 stretch.
    You can also stay on the Merrion road and then right turn down Serpertine Avenue, and then down through Ringsend and come out at the East Link.

Here's it from the Bank Centre (which is the corner of Serpertine Avenue) to the Point https://goo.gl/maps/WB0XN

I only ended up commuting that direction a couple of times on the bike before moving jobs, but going that way avoids Sean Moore Road and Pigeon House Road, and the trucks. Strand Road can be tight enough as well imo, with impatient drivers. I don't think it's any, or much longer anyway, than going the Strand Road - Sean Moore Road - East Link.

I did commute the Rock and Merrion Roads for a few years to Baggot Street - if you are going the Rock Road, particularly heading home, you can cut through Blackrock Park and come out on Newtown Avenue and avoid going along the bypass. Can't remember who recommended that route to me on here (but still thanks for the tip!), but it was a lot less stressful than the bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I only ended up commuting that direction a couple of times on the bike before moving jobs, but going that way avoids Sean Moore Road and Pigeon House Road, and the trucks. Strand Road can be tight enough as well imo, with impatient drivers. I don't think it's any, or much longer anyway, than going the Strand Road - Sean Moore Road - East Link.

It's about 1k longer to go this way, plus there are a lot more start/stops that going down the strand road/beach road. Plus you don't need to go anywhere near Sean Moore Road, just head straight past the Maxol at the end of Beach Road and continue through Irishtown into Ringsend and take the right at Ringsend church and that takes you to the Eastlink. I travel down strand road every day and it's fine, never had a problem with drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I found when I was doing a longer commute (30km each way) I had to spend 10-15 mins cooling down before having a shower or else I was still over heating when I got dressed.

Yeah that can be an issue especially in the summer months. I always turn the shower on full cold before getting out and leave it that way until I fully cool down. Refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's worth noting that sometimes the slightly longer route through a housing estate or a back road can sometimes work out faster. Traffic lights in particular can slow you down - on a bad day (i.e. hitting all the reds) adding up to 10 minutes onto your commute. Heavy traffic will also slow you down. Both just moving more slowly in general, but also because you may have to stop and wait because some moron has decided to block the entire lane and you can't get by.
    So finding little rat runs can save you time.

I actually take forever to get out in the mornings. I used to be up and out onto the bike, but now I get up and have breakfast, check facebook and generally fart around. On the flipside it means that I get into work, ten minutes in the shower and I'm at my desk working.

The thing you'll love most about a bike commute is reliability. No matter what time of day or year, no matter what kind of weather, no matter what's going on with strikes or protests, or anything else; your commute will always take around the same amount of time, give or take a few minutes. Driving or taking public transport and you could find some random event throwing an hour onto your commute. You will never find yourself saying, "Oh, the U2 gig is on today, I need to leave an hour earlier because it's going to be nuts". On a bike, even a puncture only takes 15 minutes to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My commute is 21km.

From sitting at the breakfast table through getting the bike out, cycling in, locking up the bike, shower, dressed and at the desk ; 1 hour 15.

My commute is 21km.

From sitting at the breakfast table through getting the bike out, cycling in, locking up the bike, shower, dressed and at the desk ; 1 hour 15.

wtf :eek: - that's fast!

1940s-PhoneBooth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

My commute is 21km.

Jebus. You must have no traffic or lights to contend with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I've few enough lights until the 17km mark (maybe 5). The last 4km only has 10 more.

Typical rolling time 45-50 mins with maybe 3 or 4 mins stopped at the lights, most of which is in the last 4km. That leaves around 20 mins for getting the bike , lock up and shower.

It's about the same time as if I showered at home and took the train, but much more fun and far more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

g0g wrote:
    1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc) 2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

I do bray to leeson st. I usually l Leave around 7:30 and usually at my desk by 8:45. This also give a bit of a buffer in case of a puncture or any mechanical along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

Glenageary to Wellington Quay, 40 mins door to door at a reasonable pace, average speed always works out at about 22kph including stopping at lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you want a motivational route, instead of going through Ballybrack like one poster suggested, you could sometimes go along Vico Road.
    Much less traffic and a proper sea view before starting work can be inspirational.
    But unless you're fit, the pull up by Bono's gaff will have your legs burning.

Advertisement