Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a Commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Daily commute on a Single Speed from Shankill to Ballsbridge - 28kms round trip. Always do it an 60 minutes or less in total - average approx 28km/hr. I know you've an extra bit at each end but the route is pretty flat so you should have no trouble doing it in under an hour each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

C3PO wrote: »
    Daily commute on a Single Speed from Shankill to Ballsbridge - 28kms round trip. Always do it an 60 minutes or less in total - average approx 28km/hr. I know you've an extra bit at each end but the route is pretty flat so you should have no trouble doing it in under an hour each way.
    I do killiney to ballsbridge every day. We must past each other a few times a week, are you the guy in the single speed that doesn't stop at lights?

ted1 wrote: »
    I do killiney to ballsbridge every day. We must past each other a few times a week, are you the guy in the single speed that doesn't stop at lights?

Hmmm ..... hardly going to admit to that on here - suffice to say that I approach every traffic light as if it's red!! Typically leave home before 6.00am and Ballsbridge at about 4.00pm! What do you ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

55 min home again today, in the torrential rain, into the headwind, at 5 o'clock. I'd say traffic out of town this evening in a car was a nightmare.

I switch over to doing it on a single speed over the winter too regularly. Fine route for it, though Killarney Road in Bray coming home is a bit of a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've few enough lights until the 17km mark (maybe 5). The last 4km only has 10 more.

Typical rolling time 45-50 mins with maybe 3 or 4 mins stopped at the lights, most of which is in the last 4km. That leaves around 20 mins for getting the bike , lock up and shower.

It's about the same time as if I showered at home and took the train, but much more fun and far more reliable.

I haven't counted in recent times, in fact I've only ever counted once, but when i was living in Greystones on whatever route I was regularly doing at the time into D1 there was something like 80 sets of traffic lights on the 31km route. There's definitely still 70+ coming in from Bray. May give a count some morning next week... maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

On my route from Glenageary to the quays (Wellington Quay) 'stopped' time adds about 5 minutes.

Hmmm ..... hardly going to admit to that on here - suffice to say that I approach every traffic light as if it's red!! Typically leave home before 6.00am and Ballsbridge at about 4.00pm! What do you ride?

I'm on a black and blue cube. I'm generally joining the N11 at about 7:50 at cherrywood and leave ballsbridge at 4:50

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm on a black and blue cube. I'm generally joining the N11 at about 7:50 at cherrywood and leave ballsbridge at 4:50

Almost definitely not me breaking all the lights so .... Phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Going to be doing Bray to Eastpoint starting in mid July. Did Sandyford to Eastpoint previously for a couple of months. Is the back gate a better route into the business park ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

g0g wrote: »
    1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
    I find 10 or 15 minutes plenty once you get into the rhythm of it.
    2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?
    I do 21km in 40minutes going from Bray to UCD
    What do you ride?
    At the minute I am on a red/black/white Fuji track bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Don't push yourself. Enjoy the cycle into work, and know that you're improving your health radically.

415220.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Eastpoint has two gates. The front gate is by far the busier however I do personally find the access road a lot better for cycling. I've cycled in the back gate a couple of times and it's the roads leading up to it that can be tricky.

The R131 turns into the M50 but you turn off and go under the M50 shortly after. That junction given there can be a lot of heavy vehicles going to and from the port can make it a nerve shredding stretch. Pending on where you are based in the park (closer to front or back, I'm front) I'd sooner go up eastwall road and in the front.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I do 21km in 40minutes going from Bray to UCD
    that's good going - i can't manage nearly as fast on my slightly shorter commute, but then i do go past dublin port and over the east link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

g0g wrote: »
    Some general question about bike commuting...
    I'm currently looking into the idea of a theoretical daily between Bray and Eastpoint Business Park - 45km round trip ish

1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
    2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

Be interested to hear anyone who does similar distance. I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.
    Afternoon OP, I will be commuting from next week, just under 60kms round trip. I leave everything ready from the nite before, dressed, quick bowl of cereal & a banana then out the door about 06.10, 60-75 mins later in the shower, dressed and having a coffee by about 7.45ish start @ 08.00. I leave a set of clothes in work so no backpack, maybe tou could dart 1 day, cycle the remainder and leave clothes, towel etc in work, if you have that option. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that's good going - i can't manage nearly as fast on my slightly shorter commute, but then i do go past dublin port and over the east link.

yeah i struggle to maintain 21kph on my commute which also takes in the port and east link but i do hit a lot of traffic lights en route.

Average 24kmh in my commute over the east link. But I'm going from Killiney to the airport so have Longish straights to compensate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! I commute 40km most weekdays to work..
    I takes me about 50 mins in the morning...I leave at about 7am...go to the gym, shower, change and pop up to work..
    In the afternoon, I get home in about 40 mins...a few times with light traffic and winds I have got home in 37-38 mins...Is quicker than driving!

Also make sure you eat a good breakfast as you burn 1000+ cals a day and make sure you have all the puncture repair stuff in case you get punctures at any point..

It is also nice to have comfy/good quality bibs, rain jackets, gloves etc...
    In Winter, good lights are essential..
    I just avoid stormy and lashing rain and of course ice!

Good luck!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

gmacww wrote: »
    Eastpoint has two gates. The front gate is by far the busier however I do personally find the access road a lot better for cycling. I've cycled in the back gate a couple of times and it's the roads leading up to it that can be tricky.

The R131 turns into the M50 but you turn off and go under the M50 shortly after. That junction given there can be a lot of heavy vehicles going to and from the port can make it a nerve shredding stretch. Pending on where you are based in the park (closer to front or back, I'm front) I'd sooner go up eastwall road and in the front.

I'd agree here, too much heavy traffic to contend with entering at the back of eastpoint. I tried it for 2 days when I started the job there, quickly realised it was not the way to go. Front entrance isn't too bad with traffic and such. The main thing to be aware of is the cobblestone when you're in the park; bloody lethal in the wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Thanks for the info

Advertisement