Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App to sell items online

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

To surf - that does not mean that user behaviour on mobile will be a reflection of user behaviour on Web.

Surely if the metrics suggest more users are surfing the web on mobile devices, user behaviour will also change. Its just a matter of time and when the technology is easy to use and available.

I think this is the case for mobile payments. 3 years ago, mobile platforms were the dominant force but users were generally unable to pay for things online - and if they were, it was a real struggle. I believe now - this has changed.
    For example, try taking in credit card payments through your app and you'll probably quickly get shut down by Google or Apple. They want to keep control of the 30% they get from app sales or in-app payments, and they're not going to worry about fairness or free market to do so.

I wouldn't be trying to take card payments from within the app - I would be just trying to allow customers buy on a mobile device.

Anyway, as I mentioned previously, the opportunity will be something that comes about because the innovation is ready and things that were not possible before are now possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ViperMAN wrote: »
    Surely if the metrics suggest more users are surfing the web on mobile devices, user behaviour will also change.
    Why is that inevitable? Why does that suggest what you say?
    Its just a matter of time and when the technology is easy to use and available.
    Technology does not change the fact that a mobile device is a very different proposition to a desktop or laptop - smaller screen, less user friendly input, and so on. User behaviour on mobile devices has consistently been different for these reasons.
    I think this is the case for mobile payments. 3 years ago, mobile platforms were the dominant force but users were generally unable to pay for things online - and if they were, it was a real struggle. I believe now - this has changed.
    Where did you get this? Mobile Internet use only overtook fixed line this year.
    I wouldn't be trying to take card payments from within the app - I would be just trying to allow customers buy on a mobile device.
    Now I'm confused. If you want customers to buy on a mobile device, it probably helps if they can exchange money for what they're trying to buy. If not via credit card, how were you planning on doing so?
    Anyway, as I mentioned previously, the opportunity will be something that comes about because the innovation is ready and things that were not possible before are now possible.
    According to your hypotheses and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that there will be a large uptake of mCommerce in the future. But I also think that we're probably not quite there yet. For that uptake you'll probably need it integrated into apps and, unless you want to pay a 30% commission to Google/Apple, that is not yet viable and won't be for a while.

Even as a mobile Web site, usability is an issue - if they find your site - after all, if this is an exclusively mobile offering, ask yourself how many popular exclusively mobile offerings are there?

I know you don't really want to hear this, but all ideas need to be put through the ringer before we invest precious time and money, otherwise we end up basing our faith in them on nothing more than those evangelical cultists who give away all their possessions because they're as equally convinced that the World will soon end. Then it doesn't.

Why is that inevitable? Why does that suggest what you say?

I take your point. It is not exactly inevitable. There is no guarantee that user behaviour will change. But as developers, we have to look at the metrics and assume they will change.

In the case of online payments - I believe it is inevitable. If we take the approach that user behaviour isn't the same on mobile, don't optimise for mobile and ignore the fact that more people access the internet from mobile devices - then we might not have many customers in the future.

User behaviour may not change when it comes to buying online - maybe users don't feel comfortable buying from a bus. But looking at the way the younger generation are liberal with their information - I think it is a good idea to at least give users the option.
    Where did you get this? Mobile Internet use only overtook fixed line this year.

I think you took me up wrong. I am not talking about mobile internet versus fixed line. I am talking about mobile devices (phones, tablets) are now more in use compared to PCs/Laptops.
    Now I'm confused. If you want customers to buy on a mobile device, it probably helps if they can exchange money for what they're trying to buy. If not via credit card, how were you planning on doing so?

Sorry - I'll try to explain a little better. As I explained in the OP - I will create an app for my users to sell items online. I wouldn't be taking any payment from my user through the mobile app (in case you are wondering - I would be taking a % of each transaction and providing SaaS plans for pro users - but these would not be bought from the mobile app. They would be bought from the web application. I know iOS/Android want to take 30% - but other apps have gotten around this by making users upgrade on their web application - like Buffer).

They would post items they sell to social media channels and users can then click on a link and be shown the item with an option to buy. It's here that will be optimised for mobile.
    According to your hypotheses and ignoring all evidence to the contrary.

I disagree. I haven't got the facts to conclude that it is inevitable that users will buy more on mobile devices in the future. But I think it will happen. Sometimes you have to take a punt.
    I know you don't really want to hear this, but all ideas need to be put through the ringer before we invest precious time and money, otherwise we end up basing our faith in them on nothing more than those evangelical cultists who give away all their possessions because they're as equally convinced that the World will soon end. Then it doesn't.

I completely agree - all ideas need to be put through the ringer - that's why I am here asking for peoples opinions :)

Stepping aside from the "users will/won't change behavour" debate - what do you think about the app idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ViperMAN wrote: »
    But as developers, we have to look at the metrics and assume they will change.
    Being a developer does not make you an analyst. Everything changes, but how and when is the $65,000 question. Even when looking at the metrics, you have to be very careful about what they show and where they come from.

For example, you claimed "3 years ago, mobile platforms were the dominant force". In reality, the only evidence for this is from May 2015 and only that Google announced that "more Google searches take place on mobile devices than on computers in 10 countries including the US and Japan".

So, not only is there no evidence, at least that I've seen, that demonstrates that mobile platforms have been the dominant force for the last three years, but all we know is that people are just doing more searches. Nothing about any other kind of behaviour.
    In the case of online payments - I believe it is inevitable. If we take the approach that user behaviour isn't the same on mobile, don't optimise for mobile and ignore the fact that more people access the internet from mobile devices - then we might not have many customers in the future.
    Or we may be entering a market that is not yet ready and thus not yet ready to support your venture - remember 'inevitable' does not mean 'immanent'.

I can understand where you're coming from. I came across mobile back in 1999 and thought to myself 'this is going to be big' and duly specilized in it. But ultimately it has taken longer than was expected despite a lot of hype (remember how WAP was the 'Internet on your phone'). So take care to read carefully these announcements as there's a lot of consultancies and 'gurus' in this sector who have no problem coming out with crap if it gets their press release picked up.
    I disagree. I haven't got the facts to conclude that it is inevitable that users will buy more on mobile devices in the future. But I think it will happen. Sometimes you have to take a punt.
    I never said that it is not inevitable that users will buy more on mobile devices in the future. Quite the opposite. I questioned your timing.
    Stepping aside from the "users will/won't change behavour" debate - what do you think about the app idea?
    That it's not really an app idea. It's an eCommerce Web site with an optional app interface idea.

In your description of your idea, you've not really sold why it even is app or mobile based. You'll have an interface where someone can put an item up for sale. This is then promoted through social media and an interface where others can buy it.

We know that at present and, for the foreseeable future, the second interface will be Web based, and the first I presume will be both mobile and Web based. So everything can be done via the Web, but not via mobile - relegating mobile to a support role (an admin tool for sellers) rather than being a core proposition. It's really not a mobile platform.

As such you're going to essentially go into the same market as Etsy, eBay and so on (all of whom have apps, btw). So I would concentrate on making this a successful Web business and forget about the app side of things for the time being because we're not there (when buying will be more viable on mobile) yet and we don't know how long it'll take before we are (or you can wait until it does happen before launching).

Finally, you also have not really explained how you differentiate yourself from Etsy, eBay et al. You could go local (Ireland based) or follow a niche market (as earlier suggested). The only thing going for it is integration with social media - a one-click Web shop front and social marketing campaign would certainly attract many, but that's quite a promise - can you deliver?

If you can, then go for it but treat it as a Web rather than mobile application. If not, it's probably a dog with fleas.

Thanks for your input on mobile, metrics and timing. You are definitely correct about timing. I remember looking at WAP too and thinking this will be huge. Little did I know it would be until the iPhone was released until it really was.

In your description of your idea, you've not really sold why it even is app or mobile based.

I believe it should be in app format because it makes things much easier for the user (the person selling). With just a web application - it makes uploading pictures a pain in the ass: taking a picture with a phone/camera and putting it onto a computer and then uploading it - it's really cumbersome (and I would consider myself to be technically minded).
    If you can, then go for it but treat it as a Web rather than mobile application. If not, it's probably a dog with fleas.

I usually agree - go web first to test the idea and make sure people want what you are selling! Its faster and cheaper to do things for the web. But the differentiator is ease-of-use so an app might be needed.

I haven't fully committed to the app just yet - I am still in the 'should I do this' phase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement