Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card

Options
  • 11-09-2015 1:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I recently experienced a power surge that wiped my trusty Radeon HD7770 and I'm looking for a replacement that's cheapish and similar to it. I don't do any intense gaming on my rig anymore, just some Fifa, COD maybe and the HD7770 covered those games nicely.

I don't mind going second hand if their is a deal but just wondering what cards I should look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

GTX750 @ about €100, or GTX750Ti @ about €125 are the best value budget cards. Both are much faster than the HD7770.

There are cheaper cards but the performance drops off massively, eg. The GT740 is about €25 cheaper but about 50% slower.

2nd hand wise you can probably pick up a HD7770 again on adverts for about €60 or something like a HD7850 for about €70-80 which is about the same as a GTX750. (but the GTX750 would be new at €100 and uses far less power)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Budget? A new GTX750 is about €100 so its not big money, its an upgrade over a 7770.

There's one on adverts for €70

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thanks for the quick replies.

Budget is roughly €100

I'll take a look at the GTX750. Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for :)

Edit - turns out that card is PCI 3.0 when my mobo is 2.0

2GB GTX750 - €109 delivered.

Getting the 2GB of vram is a bonus too, a lot of the cheaper GTX750's are just 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Had to double check but a PCI-E 3.0 card will still work in a 2.0 slot!
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2216733/pci-express-x16-card-work-pci-x16-slot.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Yakult wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Budget is roughly €100

I'll take a look at the GTX750. Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for :)

Edit - turns out that card is PCI 3.0 when my mobo is 2.0

Yeah as xenoronin says you can put pci 3.0 in pci 2.0 it just won't achieve max speed same as a usb 3.0 memory stick in a usb 2.0 port you won't get the full benefit but it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

With the cards you are looking at, they would never push 2.0 near the limit either :)

There's zero loss when using the vast majority of cards with 2.0, you would have to be getting into €550 GTX980 territory to actually experience a drop, and even at that it would still be under 10% frameloss vs Gen 3.

In short - doesn't matter a damn for all but the most ultra high end builds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thanks for the help and recommendation guys. :)

Gonna go ahead and purchase the GTX750, now that I know it will work!

Advertisement