Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting confused about ESB etc. Help.

Options
  • 11-09-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm moving into a studio apartment in the kildare area, it's like a granny flat (huge house converted into studio apartments).

Theres a meter for each flat and the agent for the landlord said that since the last tenant has moved out the bill is back with the landlords so not to worry about my electricity cutting out but I will have to contact who I want to go with for electricity and get it set up myself.

He said I will need some number or something that will be on an old bill from the last tenant and they will need that?

I'm so confused about the whole situation. Can I just contact any electricity company even though the "bill" is back in the landlords name? Is that all it takes? I don't need to go with the same company? Whats this number I need to quote?

Anyone have any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Elaine897 wrote: »
    He said I will need some number or something that will be on an old bill from the last tenant and they will need that?

I'm so confused about the whole situation. Can I just contact any electricity company even though the "bill" is back in the landlords name? Is that all it takes? I don't need to go with the same company? Whats this number I need to quote?

Anyone have any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate it.

You will need your MPRN (Meter Point Registration Number). You can get this from a previous bill.

You should also take a meter reading (and a photo), when you move in, and you can then contact any company that supplies electricity. You don't need to go with any specific company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Elaine897

Paulw wrote: »
    You will need your MPRN (Meter Point Registration Number). You can get this from a previous bill.

You should also take a meter reading (and a photo), when you move in, and you can then contact any company that supplies electricity. You don't need to go with any specific company.

Thank you Paul.

What about the bill for the days before I get everything set up? I'm sure I'll have to pay that somehow and how long will it take to get everything set up in my name?

I'll be working 9-6 so it's gonna be quite awkward to get in contact with a sales team.

Take the meter reading the day you move in. You should quote that when setting up the account too, so you should be paying from then on.

Get it done as soon as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Take the reading from the day you move in (a photo record is great in case of any problems later on). Most of the utilities have customers services available after 6pm so should be no problems around that. Inform them of move in date and reading on that date and the bill will be calculated from those figures/dates!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'll be working 9-6 so it's gonna be quite awkward to get in contact with a sales team.

The phone lines are usually open later than 6. Bord Gais, for example, are open 8am to 8pm and also open on saturdays. it doesn't matter when you ring, so long as the meter reading reflects when you first moved in. This is the landlord's lookout as much as yours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Electric Ireland are on boards.ie, they also have phone lines open later then standard hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

On the off-chance the previous company still has the account for the few days they'll just send you a bill for a few euros which you can pay online. No bother. This would only happen if the landlord rings their company and gives your name. No need to even think about it unless it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Take a meter reading on the day you move in. Send it to the landlord, I'd recommend text and or email. Do not accept excuses or denied access to the meter. When you move out, do the exact same thing. Take a meter reading and let the landlord know.

Take the meter reading the day you move in. You should quote that when setting up the account too, so you should be paying from then on.

Technically I've moved in already since my lease started today but I'm actually not moving in since Sunday so Il only have access to the meter Sunday. I think the emersion is on a timer in the apartment so I might get a bill since I've technically moved in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

My lease started today but I don't actually move in till Sunday. She showed me the meter but I haven't actually noted what it displayed, I guess Il have to wait till Sunday and note what it says then. I know the emersion is on a timer in the apartment so it might up the meter reading until I move in Sunday.

If lease started today I would go there and take a reading today. You have the keys, no?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you have the keys it's your responsibility to get your meter read. The place is now yours, whether or not you currently are residing there.

If you don't have the keys then one of the first things to do when you do get them is go take a reading.

If lease started today I would go there and take a reading today. You have the keys, no?

I have the keys but I don't drive and it's quite far away, I'm not from Kildare I'm literally moving there Sunday for good if you get me, starting a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Get the reading on Sunday- phone whatever company you decide to go with on Monday, giving them that reading and stating you moved in on Friday. You'll have the standing charge from today and units from sunday. The usage from today to Sunday should be very little. I imagine if the place has been vacant for any period the landlord will have switched off the emersion/ heating. Also be aware depending on which company / if you'll willing pay by direct debit you may / may not have to pay a deposit to the utilities company.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I just contacted Electric Ireland in their Talk to forum here and they arranged for one of their sales guys to give me a call when I was finished work (I think it was 7/8pm on a Friday) Found them really good to deal with and I was the same as you so they answered a lot of stupid questions from me!

Hi,

I just moved into a new flat and I need to find my MPRN to set up electricity in my name. There is no previous bills from the last tenant and I want to set up electricity tomorrow. I don't even know which company the last tenant was with.

If I email esb with my meter number in the flat and address will they be able to get it for me?

Ask the landlord for the MPRN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Threads merged. OP please don't start multiple threads on the same/similar issue within such a short space of time. Thanks :)

Ask the landlord for the MPRN.

Will ESB not be able to give it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

+100 to this.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    On the off-chance the previous company still has the account for the few days they'll just send you a bill for a few euros which you can pay online. No bother. This would only happen if the landlord rings their company and gives your name. No need to even think about it unless it happens.
    the previous tenants company and bills are no concern of the OP
    Take a meter reading on the day you move in. Send it to the landlord, I'd recommend text and or email. Do not accept excuses or denied access to the meter. When you move out, do the exact same thing. Take a meter reading and let the landlord know.
    There is no need to send the meter reading to the Landlord. the tenant is responsible for the bill and for putting the bill in their name.
    Technically I've moved in already since my lease started today but I'm actually not moving in since Sunday so Il only have access to the meter Sunday. I think the emersion is on a timer in the apartment so I might get a bill since I've technically moved in already.
    take the reading on Sunday.
    Will ESB not be able to give it to me?
    The company should be able to get it from the address especially if there has been an account there for previous occupants.

There is also a "meter number" which they can use to find address and MPRN.

if they tell you there are arrears that you must pay tell them you are only responsible for the bill from the reading you have given them.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the previous tenants company and bills are no concern of the OP
    It is if the landlord calls them up and gets the account put in the tenant's name for the few days between starting the tenancy and getting the electricity set up they'll end up with a small bill from that company, but as I said that's only something to deal with if it actually happens. It's happened to me twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheChizler wrote: »
    It is if the landlord calls them up and gets the account put in the tenant's name for the few days between starting the tenancy and getting the electricity set up they'll end up with a small bill from that company, but as I said that's only something to deal with if it actually happens. It's happened to me twice.
    Both the company and Landlord would be in breach of data protection regulations by opening an account in your name without your knowledge or permission.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Both the company and Landlord would be in breach of data protection regulations by opening an account in your name without your knowledge or permission.
    Possibly, happens all the time though.

Advertisement