Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment with animals .. Any advice?!

• 11-09-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi.. Currently I am thinking of a change in career. I originally wanted to be a vet, but due to long term illness I didn't get the results I needed. I am animal mad we have lots and I bred and kept animals as a child and teenager too.

I think I would like to revisit this as a job choice.,, I am happy to go back and do some training but probably not actual veterinary. I looked at vet nursing but I know it's really hard to get into as a mature student , and after four years training the pay as far as I can make out is only about 25,000.. Is that correct does anyone know? I have also thought about reception work at a vets / practice management (I have experience of this kind of work but don't know if the pay is any good?) I don't mind earning less if I can get straight into it , but can't afford to not work for four years while studying and then only get the same as I am earning now.

Would love if anyone can just give me some ideas about the type of jobs I could think about? I am sure there is something I am not thinking of. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think for a lot of people they accept they're not going to be making megabucks and it's a 'labor of love'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I spent 3 years doing a veterinary nursing course, absolutely loved the course and the placements in the course. We were rotated 6 weeks in college, 6 weeks on placement anywhere in the country, over two 12 week semesters each year so it's a lot of moving around.

I graduated 2 and a half years ago and haven't set foot in a vets since bar as a client. There is simply no work unless your not fussy about moving. At least half if not three quarters of my class (of those that actually got jobs as a nurse) are abroad, the rest have moved elsewhere in the country (Dublin or up north). Iv gone into a different area altogether than veterinary, the hours are better, the pay is better, optional well paid overtime and opportunities to progress. I really don't know if I could see myself going back to nursing as much as I loved it.

If it's something you really think will suit you try and get a few weeks experience first. There was a lot of drop outs after our first placement. It can be a really stressful, heart breaking, thankless job at times. I make it sound all doom and gloom but it has its good days, don't mean to scare you completely!!

If you've any specific questions about the course feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Some thoughts:
    What about doing a Grooming course? Something you might be able to do in your spare time - or part time, and keep the day job?
    What about working with horses - in a livery yard - at weekends/evenings
    If you just want to spend time with animals, and keep your day job, you could volunteer with an animal rescue/charity - evenings/weekends
    you could train as a Farrier - good money
    you could set yourself up as a Cattery or Exotic Pets Boarding or Dog Kennels if you had the facilities/space to set up
    You could register as a Dog Walker, or do Pet Sitting in your local area

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Have you thought about doing a grooming course and becoming a groomer? Doggy day care is another option.

I will say however, just because you are an animal it is a different story working with animals all the time. My friend owns a doggy day care and she has gone through quite a few staff who are animal mad but don't actually understand what its like to work with 20plus dogs on a daily basis! When they are put in that situation they realise how tough it is!

You could do some volunteer work in the meantime.

Does your course offer a part time course? I know it will take longer to get your degree but its a good way to earn money and study at the same time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Could keep an eye here as well OP. <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Dog groomer, behaviorist or trainer there is a serious lack of dog trainers in the Dublin area I feel.

Also maybe do some volunteer work at your local rescue or one you can travel to.

Advertisement