Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Boys Who Made Good..any left?

• 11-09-2015 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

The news that neither Man Utd or Liverpool are likely to have a local player starting for the first time in game is a bit but only a bit of a surprise (unless Jordan Rossiter starts which would be much more of a shock!).

At one point not that long ago Liverpool could start a game with Carra, Gerrard, Flannagan and Kelly right now there are none in the first 11 and maybe 1 for the match day squad if everyone were fit.

The first team squad features just Rossiter and Jon Flannagan.

Manchester Utd has none at all in their first team squad as listed on wiki with the likes of Warrington and Crewe being the nearest though Mancunian Tyler Blackett is on loan.

Chelsea has none as none of their three English players is from the borough or indeed west-central London.

Arsenal again has none. Kieran Gibbs comes closest, Lambeth.

Spurs have Andros Townsend (Lytonstone which is close enough)

I'm not going through every team in the prem, so find your own club.

Does it matter? Does a local run the extra yards or merely get too excited as Gerrard has been on a couple of occasions against Man Utd and Everton?

Does the "fan made good" connection matter in an age when most watching are out of towners on TV with many in the stadium with their smartphones?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pique for Barca springs to mind.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Grealish and Agbonlahor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Barkley/Osman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Claudio Marchisio and Francesco Totti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Even at League of Ireland level it's happening. We currently have no locals playing regularly in our first team. Team is mainly full of Dubs and Galway lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

De Sciglio, Abate, Antonelli and Ely are all youth team graduates at Milan.

De Rossi, Totti and Florenzi at Roma.

Bernardeschi and Khouma Babacar at Fiorentina.

I'm sure there are more at in Serie A if I bothered to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There'll be loads in Italy, France, Germany, Netherlands and Spain because their youth coaching is far better than the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Does the "fan made good" connection matter in an age when most watching are out of towners on TV with many in the stadium with their smartphones?

I can see how it would matter to fans from within the area of where a club is based but to fans from further afield I cannot see how it would have any sort of relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Barkley/Osman

Hibbert, baines, browning all local lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

With all due respect, I'm not sure why an Irish fan would care whether or not Man.United's star striker was born in the shadow of the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

There'll be loads in Italy, France, Germany, Netherlands and Spain because their youth coaching is far better than the UK and Ireland.

Why would you bring Ireland in this? Top 3 teams in Ireland at the moment only have 3 foreigners among them. Surely, they would have local players among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

764dak wrote: »
    Why would you bring Ireland in this? Top 3 teams in Ireland at the moment only have 3 foreigners among them. Surely, they would have local players among them.

Thats more of a case of our league not being able to attract proper decent foreign players though

ScummyMan wrote: »
    With all due respect, I'm not sure why an Irish fan would care whether or not Man.United's star striker was born in the shadow of the ground.

In fairness the OP did aver to the disconnect in the post...

Players with no real connection playing in front of fans, many with no real connection either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wasn't this local boy done good thing only ever a phenomena for the rich or successful clubs who could afford to keep their players? So about 6 or 7 teams (at a push) over the last 30 years. Finances, especially in the lower leagues, dictate local boy gets sold as soon as someone offers real money for him.

Oh and I also don't think a player had to be born locally to have a connection with the fans. Ian Sampson is Yorkshire born and bred, but the fans at Northampton love him, Graham Carr is a Geordie, but they named a bar in the ground after him.

Advertisement