Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Riding School Cross Country Course near Kilternan

Options
  • 11-09-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello -

I'm up in Dublin for the week and would like to do some lessons or cross country with instruction some where near Kilternan.

I'm based in Galway and go to Flower Hill regularly but I'm up in Kilternan a lot so it would be great to find some where I could go up there.

I'm an intermediate rider.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

If you're willing to take a spin you could to Abbeyfield in Clane. Great facilities, and similar set up to Flowerhill.

I don't think there's much around Kilternan cross country wise.

Down towards Ashford you have Bel Air which is fab too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fermatstheorem

Kamili wrote: »
    If you're willing to take a spin you could to Abbeyfield in Clane. Great facilities, and similar set up to Flowerhill.

I don't think there's much around Kilternan cross country wise.

Down towards Ashford you have Bel Air which is fab too.

Thanks Kamili, I'll check it out.

It sounds like you're quite experienced can I ask for some advice?

I've only started riding a couple of months ago but have made huge progress primarily down to Flowerhill being my local. I originally started off in the arena like most people but as I said I've made huge progress on the xcountry course.

Is it good to continue with arena lessons alongside xc to enhance learning or is xc enough?

Thanks in advance

I would definitely keep both arena and xc lessons up, the arena work is foundation for all disciplines :)

Thanks good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Brennanstown RC near Kilmacanogue do xc lessons. Second Bel Air if you can go there - horses are perfect, the 2 hour ride out is fab, and they stop for sneaky whiskey from a hip flask in the middle, followed by tea and sandwiches in the Huntsman's Bar (I think that's the name!) in the hotel. Such a lovely experience!

• Advertisement

I forgot about Brennanstown D'uh! Good spot :)

Thanks guys, Bel Air sounds fab!

Where would you recommend for arena work again in this area? Brennanstown?

Brennanstown is good alright
    there is also Killegar just up the way from Kilternan. I think they have a deal on groupon at the moment for half price lesson.

Might be worth giving it a shot..

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/killegar-stables-3-23785655?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=deal_ita

Thanks a mil!

I'm going out to Bel Air tomorrow for a lesson thanks mil for the help :)

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on, would love to hear! Enjoy every second :)

So I went to a lesson at Bel Air last night. Thanks a mil for the advice, it was awesome. I'm kinda devastated I'll be heading back to Galway in a couple of days. I'd love to do some more lessons there but at least now I have a spot to go to when I'm in Dublin 😄

Sorry I just tried to post but now using the phone app and it seemed to disappear. Anyways apologies if this is a duplicate post!

So I did my lesson at Bel Air yesterday evening. Thank you so much for sending me down there. It was awesome, I couldn't recommend it more. I'm kinda devastated that I'll be heading back to Galway now!

AnyeYs hanks for the advice 😄

I'm using the app but it keeps losing my posts 😔

I just wanted to let you know, I went to Bel Air yesterday evening for my lesson and it was awesome.

Thanks a mil for the advice now I have somewhere to go when I'm in Dubljb. I'm kinda devastated that I'm going back down to Galway!

Clearly it didn't, there was just a posting delay!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Great that you enjoyed it, had such a good experience there myself.

sounds like you had a ball, it is a fab spot alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Anyone doing the hunter trials there next weekend? If my tub of lard is up to it I'll go :)

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Anyone doing the hunter trials there next weekend? If my tub of lard is up to it I'll go :)

Had hoped to, but my poor fella got a kick, nothing serious so I think he needs a bit of a rest

Kamili wrote: »
    Had hoped to, but my poor fella got a kick, nothing serious so I think he needs a bit of a rest

That's a shame :( might see you down there if you happen to make it down to watch:) hope he gets better soon!

• Advertisement

Just wanted to let you know I did a xc country ride out in Abbeyfield a couple of weeks ago on your recommendation and it was great. Also if you're ever down in Galway Flower Hill my usual spot is fantastic!

Abbeyfield is a great spot :) Glad you enjoyed it!

I have to second the Flowerhill comment, I was there a good many years ago and had a ball. I was given a huge and very experienced hunter called Danny and he was an absolute legend!

Flowerhill is absolutely fab. If I recall correctly they've held the riding club National Hunter Trials on there two years in a row now?

Yeah I think it's on again next year.

Advertisement