Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No replacement

Options
  • 11-09-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Dun Laoghaire's promenade once was a very pretty tree lined promenade. Sadly one by one the trees planed by our far-seeing long since passed Kingstown citizens have been removed, died etc. Why have they not been replaced. The path has lazily been paved over, presuming that nobody cares.

I have emailed, phoned etc but to no avail. Anyone else care to bung off a query.

Had a picture to attach, but can't seem to attach as it say it is too big. I am talking about the stretch in particular opposite the Kingston Hotel right along to Sandycove.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I have to say I've never noticed a reduction in trees along that stretch, but then again why would I be looking at the trees when I'm walking along the coast? To see what you were talking about, I went to Streetview (Aug 2014) to have a look.

I went straight to Kingston Hotel (https://goo.gl/maps/n837y) and immediately noticed 5 relatively new trees (4 on the coast side just outside the National YC), with recently constructed supports around them, among numerous long-established trees; this would counter your suggestion that nothing is been done re. trees, etc because "nobody cares".

Further along the path past the Harbour towards the Baths has no trees. I have no issue with that, as it's not a particularly wide path, so the removal of street furniture etc is of benefit to pedestrians, prams, etc. Look here (https://goo.gl/maps/H5tce) outside the baths to see how narrow the path gets with a tree. Regardless, along this stretch there is no major need for a tree-planting program as there will be a new public promenade built below when the baths site is eventually developed.

The following stretch then takes us to Sandycove adjacent to the car park and the open green space. Are you really concerned about no trees here, because I certainly wouldn't be. Again, the path is not particularly wide here, so you'd be talking about taking space from the car park to accommodate some trees (which I think would be a foolish waste of money), or planting in the open space (which I don't think is particularly necessary).

Without the photo you referred to, it's hard to know what you are looking for, but I don't think an alleged absence of trees along this stretch is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There were never many trees between the east pier and Sandycove in my 25 or so years on memory. A lot of the crappy scrub on the inside of the railings has been removed i presume for anti social and litter reasons, but other than that i dont believe there is a problem. If they got on with the Baths proposals itd be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This is the section I mean. The path has been paved over where trees proudly stood once.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Chinasea wrote: »
    This is the section I mean. The path has been paved over where trees proudly stood once.

Not for donkeys years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Replacement of the fine trees, planted by our for seeing earlier dwellers, that once honored this lovely stretch would be very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

the trees along Newtownsmith and Queens Road got hoicked out in the 80s during a Dutch Elm disease outbreak/scare. As far as I recall, they were replaced initially, but were vandalised soon after. Maybe the corpo just despaired of the behaviour of the citizens and concreted the plots over.

Advertisement